Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my Slk350 for 18 months now and as you do spent a bit of money on modifications I was wondering what was your best upgrade without breaking the bank?
I have added
A smart top - good and convenient
Sprintbooster - made a real difference on responsiveness
K&N air filter- further responsiveness improvement and sound
Had front exhaust boxes removed - good and cheap way to get better sound without paying for sports box and not effect emissions
Lastly one I would recommend is having an EDT treatment which has made marked difference in smoothness,free revving and responsiveness .
You will see a common thread on improving responsiveness as always felt whilst 300 bhp never really felt like it ,but now feel without buying 55 that my Slk is real fun . Welcome your thoughts

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
902 Posts
Divorcing Wife #2

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Best upgrade to vehicle (R171): SmartTop

Reactions: jbanks15

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
I can't choose between SmartTop or the X-Pipe & secondary cat delete... love them both, for very different reasons! >:D

Reactions: Col

·
**Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,854 Posts
I can't choose between SmartTop or the X-Pipe & secondary cat delete... love them both, for very different reasons! >:D
Kinda agree with you Dave. SmartTop is one best upgrades but the secondary cat/resonator delete/x-pipe gives me the most enjoyment.

More smiles per hour you might say! Best bang for buck too!

·
Registered
204 Posts
1) Smart Top - raising and lowering top on the move or from far away always gets "ooh's and ahhh's"
2) Mobridge M2.Pro Most Bluetooth - ability to use steering wheel buttons to control my phone would be #1 if I were an audiophile or more social.
3) Video interface with attached tire pressure monitor, backup camera, and smart phone mirroring. - Neat upgrades but not as frequently used as #1 and #2.
4) interior and exterior LED lights. - definitely like the exterior look but not kinda miss romantic feel of stock yellow tinted interiors.

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,422 Posts
For me this is a very difficult question because I have done so many things and each one serves a different purpose either aesthetically or performance mechanically. Therefore, let me just tell you the ones that I could live without.

1.) AMG Door Lock Pins
2.) Mercedes Benz Star Valve Stem Caps
3.) Boot Lid Inner Felt Covers

LOL, those are the only things that I consider frivolous. Everything else I love because it makes my car....well, my car! For those of us that have really modified a lot, to answer is extremely difficult.

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,422 Posts
Hi All

@Stinger not your Sport Fenders ??

Mine is my Red G Paddles but I would say that >:D they look like his red horns :)

Yes to the Smarttop , Xpipe ofc & projector AMG puddle lights.

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy!

I really like the sport fenders and they are by far the most radical (and expensive) modification that I have done. But without the other bits and bobs, i.e. lowering springs, wheels, rear diffuser, etc.....the sport fenders might even look out of place on the SLK. Like I said before, when it comes to the body it's the entire gamut that pulls it all off. Therefore, I like it all. :) :tu:

Reactions: ZeroZero

·
Banned
973 Posts
1. Body coloured boot lip spoiler which seems to elongate the total length of the car helping to lose some of its rear dumpiness.
2. Alloygators in black to protect the polished rims.
3. An inflatable cushion acting as a lumbar support - minimises jarring of the lower back given the ridiculous hardness of the suspension.
4. Really good quality smooth finish number plates with raised numbers & letters, (no badges or flags). Rear plate slightly shorter (I have a private plate of only 5 letters/numbers).
5. Black/silver Mercedes star wheel centre badges.
6. A folded cargo net strung across the back wall of the cabin in which can be stored hats & gloves.
7. A deep narrow bag ( was the storage bag for an MX-5/Miata full tonneau cover) affixed to the rear wall behind the passenger seat to store maps, magazines etc.
8. Brake callipers AND hubs painted.
9. Clear heavyweight Perspex windblocker, a straight drop-in replacement. Forgot where I got in from though.
10. Foot rest that exactly matches brake & throttle pedals - £7 Ebay!
11. Wide angle 'Overtaker' interior mirror that augments & fits above existing mirror.
12. Chrome bonnet fins & door handle tops.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.