Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2001 SLK 230 last night, and I'm just trying to look for any possible issues/problems with it. Very snowy by mine at the moment, so I'm a bit wary of taking it for a spin, so I'm just looking at the interior stuff for now. So, let's play spot the missing stuff!...

I'm guessing I'm missing the inflator thing - should there be anything else in there?
Then there's this space...

Is it just the first aid kit and warning triangle missing from here?
Any idea where to get these from (UK)? and how much they'll cost?

Also, does anyone know how long the 'delay' is before the interior light turns itself off when you close the doors / lock the car? I can't tell if it's not working properly or if I'm just not leaving it long enough to go off!
Think that's it for now! - thanks in advance.

Hope I've done the photo's correctly??

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
1st pic - There should be quite a chunky 12v compressor and a set of wheel bolts for the steel space saver.

2nd pic - as you said, first aid kit & warning triangle are missing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ta. I'm guessing they're fairly pricey from the dealer? Do they ever show up on Ebay etc.?
There's definitely a problem with the interior light. It seems like it thinks the doors etc. aren't closing properly, but they are.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
There a couple of posts on here about the wiring loom going into the trunk fracturing due to repeated bending, causing problems with the roof, central locking, boot light, and who knows what else. If I knew where to look, that would be the first place I'd be looking!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Also, does anyone know how long the 'delay' is before the interior light turns itself off when you close the doors / lock the car? I can't tell if it's not working properly or if I'm just not leaving it long enough to go off!
The delay is supposed to be about eight seconds .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ta. My light stays on for a lot longer than 8 seconds so there's definitely a problem. I'll try to check out the wires (if I can find them!) when it stops snowing!
I've asked the seller of the first aid kit and triangle if he'd consider reducing the price. I don't want it that badly! The first aid kits on their own don't seem to go for much and I'd probably never use the triangle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think I might be on to something with the interior light problem. I had a good look round the car before to triple check the doors, boot and roof were closing ok, and noticed that a drain type thing above the boot on the drivers side was blocked. Think I managed to unblock it but didn't think anything of it, but I've just seen a few threads about a PSE which controls the interior light, locks etc. can be affected by damp and I think it lives pretty much below that drain thing. I can't wait to get my tools out and have a proper look. Hope it's fixable! As you can probably tell, I don't really know what I'm doing so feel free to shout at me if it's something I shouldn't be messing around with. Don't want to make it worse than it is! I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No joy with the PSE. Found it but didn't look damp, and it all looks in good condition so I didn't bother taking it apart. Might have to leave this one to a garage. Also got some new batteries for the spare key which wasn't working, but the light still doesn't come on so the key fob itself must be knackered. Don't even want to think about how much a new one will cost!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ah, well it's longer than that too!
Also - found the first aid kit and triangle brand new for £20...
http://www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.uk/browse-parts/smart_1284/new-fourtwo-451_1736/accessories_1738/safety_1747/first-aid-box_180370.html
Unless it's just the first aid kit on it's own? (it does say the pics might not be accurate).
Is that one the same size as on the SLK ?
I was talking to a bloke from our local Mercedes dealership & he said they charge up to about £90 for some of their First aid kits due to the different shape kits for different models .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. I've found a triangle and first aid kit on ebay - not sure if they'll fit yet though!
Now, I've got to get a tool kit too! I have got the 4 short wheelnuts though, and I even found 2 unidentified things in there - I'll post pics in a bit!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any ideas what this is?!

and this?

Also, just realised there's a locking wheel nut on each wheel, but no socket thing for them! I'm starting to miss my old car!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I agree with Woolly on the first pix. Second pix looks like a beer bottle opener :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.