Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts
that is not oem but could be for a 3rd party radar or camera setup.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts
you can see if it is enabled or disabled by following the programming instructions or first see if you can operate it from the roof button or keyfob

mods4cars product manual

if it does not enable/disable you don't have a smarttop installed

·
Founding Member 2006
108,881 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,284 Posts
I'm not an expert on the R171 so don't know if the audio would have a USB port in the back but either way that end of a USB cable as shown in that photo looks to be a Mini-B plug and would usually be a power feed to a satnav or camera. It's certainly on the right part of the car to power a satnav mounted on the windscreen.

USB is normally a one way connection between a Host Controller (a laptop or car radio) and a Peripheral (phone, satnav or camera). I think what you've got there is the plug that would plug into a Peripheral. I've not got a SmartTop but I would expect that a SmartTop lead would be plugged into a laptop and the plug in the photo is the wrong sort for that. My money is on a simple power source for a satnav or camera. To test it plug in a TomTom or similar and see if it charges. You may find it only charges with the ignition on though so remember to test with the engine running and with the engine off!!

Good luck.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
BTW, if it does power up a navigation, I wonder if I can use an adapter to power up my iPhone instead?
If the cable is wired to provide power to a micro USB device, then you could add a small adapter to it to convert to lightning to charge/power an iPhone.

Here's an example of the kind of adapter I mean:
Lightning USB Converter Adapter For Micro USB 5 5S 6 Plus iPod New | eBay

Note: I have no idea whether this is a good eBay seller or not, as I have never bought from them - I'm just using this link to show you an example of the type of adapter I'm referring to. :D

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,284 Posts
BTW, if it does power up a navigation, I wonder if I can use an adapter to power up my iPhone instead?
It should, but be aware that even if the plug has power on it, Apple are notorious for being selective as to whether a USB charger will charge an iPhone or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.