21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLK250
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The rims.
Yes, very nice.

I'm getting quite a list :)
  • SmartTop after Beaulieu - need to build up the courage to start taking off bits
  • Appropriate hats
  • I've found a reasonably-priced Becker Map Pilot with 2020 maps - tried various phone mounting options but i like the clean, classic cockpit. I read Paul's comment above. I'm willing to pay just to have the NAVI button do something, and something in the harness in the glovebox. Hurts my OCD ;-)
  • Tempted by a professional clean and detail but the paint isn't that bad, will I get the value?
  • Tempted by ceramic brakes but need to research it more - can be hard on the disks? Could get the calipers painted at same time.
  • Did the roof gummi and grease - hardly needed it but good to start off right, and it's a small start!
  • I'd like footwell lights and pubble lights but that needs investigation. I've LEDs on the bottom of both mirrors but they don't come in (even in the dark). No lights fitted in the footwells.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
893 Posts
A dash cam ... you never know when it might help.

Reactions: Squishband

·
Registered 2016 SLK250
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
@M4rCu5 Do you have links to some reasonable SDS-type devices? I'm being snowed under by all sorts of contradictory reviews of OBD II scanners. In fact, when you start looking at this you quickly get buried in info. I have done some searches here, but hard to find current info on actual devices. Lots of the solutions in the web seem to be just hardware to interface OBD II to a PC. Some are Bluetooth and have a Smartphone app; some are USB; some are handheld standalone code readers. I'm going to research this more but I'm looking for what would be:
"basic" - just tells you fault codes with maybe some reset functionality
"mid" - useful and with some interesting features without being a full-blown (read expensive) solution that you may rarely use after the initial exploration - prob what I'd be after
"does all" - the ideal solutions for the serious enthusiast

·
Registered 2016 SLK250
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
A dash cam ... you never know when it might help.
@mike350 I had a play with AutoBoy yesterday. Not bad once I chose a video format my PC would open. It runs in the background on the phone, too. So you can still use other apps e.g Android Auto. OK on first look. Downsides for me? Mounting the phone so that it was well placed meant a horrible trailing power lead, clutter, and poor camera stability. I'll upload something later maybe. An integrated solution would be far far better, but probably someway down my list, and I'd need the gubbins to integrate with! :)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
962 Posts
@M4rCu5 Do you have links to some reasonable SDS-type devices? I'm being snowed under by all sorts of contradictory reviews of OBD II scanners. In fact, when you start looking at this you quickly get buried in info. I have done some searches here, but hard to find current info on actual devices. Lots of the solutions in the web seem to be just hardware to interface OBD II to a PC. Some are Bluetooth and have a Smartphone app; some are USB; some are handheld standalone code readers. I'm going to research this more but I'm looking for what would be:
"mid" - useful and with some interesting features without being a full-blown (read expensive) solution that you may rarely use after the initial exploration - prob what I'd be after
Get in touch with @i860 , he will set you straight.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,091 Posts
@Marrs
I really wouldn't like to stick my neck out on that one as your R172 is a completely different animal to my old gals :alien:

You should start a new topic in 172 General Discussion ;)

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,874 Posts
I sent you a private message

·
Registered 2016 SLK250
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
BEFORE:

DURING: Order a Becker Map Pilot from eBay, preloaded with 2020 maps for £180. I've seen close to that advertised to just update the maps so thought I'd go for it.

AFTER: Plug and Play. Literally nothing to do except take it out of the bag and put it in the slot in the glovebox.

Attachments

·
Registered 2016 SLK250
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As people have said before, it's not the most modern looking SatNav, but I like the way it goes with the car.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts