Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
*Registered
2012 SLK55 AMG
176 Posts
If it is what you really want and it is a keeper then go for it as the value only has meaning to you.
Metallic Jasper blue looks a lovely colour

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
LOL, mines also valued "officially" at just under £10k! It's ridiculous :D :D. I've insured it for £25k so not sure what would happen if..

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,809 Posts
GAP insurance does not usually go beyond car age of 10 years.
If paying insurance on a car value of 25K and actual value is less, the insurer will work to the lower figure.

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,168 Posts
If it's a mint Face Lift R171/55l, I'd go for it (y)
Being un-modified could be a big advantage going forward, with changes in the UK law in the pipe line, that all cars must be 100% stock.... One thing to remember, the leather covered roll over hoops option means You can't fit the OEM Perspex Wind Deflector..
Jasper blue is a lovely colour😉
How about Mauritius Blue..?
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Or this Designo Colour - Looked better in daylight when it turned up at Kent meet:
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Grille

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
Being un-modified could be a big advantage going forward, with changes in the UK law in the pipe line, that all cars must be 100% stock.
I really can't see how they would be able to do that (change the law) retroactively! All new cars, yes. Fine. It'll suck, but they just can't do that on ALL cars currently in traffic..

There is a lot of precidence on "law retroactivity" (yeah, I know it's not a word! :) ).

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,168 Posts
I really can't see how they would be able to do that (change the law) retroactively! All new cars, yes. Fine. It'll suck, but they just can't do that on ALL cars currently in traffic..
Two years ago I may have agreed - But check out this YouTube video which sums up the possible future for personnel transport, let alone people who have modified their cars:
This is why I always advocate to own a Full Fat AMG now while You can (y)

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,165 Posts
I only saw about a minute into that.. The word "will" triggered me if you like.. It's VERY (!) dystopian and maybe it's because I'm an optimist at hart, but it CAN NOT happen as far as I see..

There's millions of cars out there. The government CAN NOT outlaw all of them and force people to buy a brand new electric veichle. It's simply not economically viable.. Yes, it will erode "over time", but as far as my opinion on that, it'll be in the [multiple!] decades. Not "in the next few years".. So by the time it is an actual reality, I'll be long dead and no longer my problem :).

Likewise, the "right to modify" can't, again IMO, be put in place retroactively. There's WAY to many veichles in traffic that falls into that category, depending on how "harsh" they actually word the law. The latest proposition was thrown out almost right away because it was to fuzzy (and restrictive AND retroactive!). Yes, they'll come back again and again, but somewhere in there, there's going to be a clash with "general freedom".. There's a few examples, especially here in the UK, where they've made gun laws retroactive, and forced owners to hand in their firearms and have them destroyed, but there the government have given them a quite reasonable sum of money to do so. They can't go "your modified ICE car is now illegal, screw you"..

But we can argue this back and forth until the cows come home as it where, only time will tell who's actually going to be right. I for one am not going to be to concerned about loosing my modified high performance car. I'll most definately be keeping an eye on that, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

MY personal hope is that people will wake up and realise what I've been saying all along - battery powered cars is a seriously stupid idea! It was a stupid idea when it was done in the early 19th century and it's an even more idiotic idea now.. Our lifestyle simple does not accomodate it! There's always going to be room for battery powered veichles, but it's not the "save all" that people seem to be in the delusion of..

·
*Registered
2016 SLK55 AMG
88 Posts
Is it the blue one in Havant? Lovely looking car with just 21K on the clock. I’ve just paid a fulsome price for a 2016 55 with 7K on the clock. Bought it on condition rather than price. If it’s the one for you I’d go for it. The pain of purchase price will sting once but the enjoyment will last much longer. That said they’re asking top end so I’d try and haggle a bit.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG with P30
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Update to this thread, sort of.

I can’t answer my own question.

But, whether it’s sensible value or not, I am the new owner of a 2008 SLK55 with P30 performance pack, (one former keeper from new) in Jasper blue, 21k miles. Has all the main options from factory, and otherwise 100% standard.

Pretty much unmarked condition inside and out, full MBSH, underneath is pristine. The deal clincher was the drive. It literally drives like new. Smooth on the road, despite the supposedly harder suspension, nimble, pleasure to drive, no knocks, bonks, squeaks, rattles. I don’t think it’s possible to find a better one. Hence paying the price.

it does mean a new home for Jarvis tho 😩. I will put a note in the for sale section.

thanks for the input fellas.

jester

·
*Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG with P30
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
And yes, it’s the one in Havant.

It’s on flea-bay, advertised yesterday If anyone wants to take a look.

cheers, hope to show it off at a south coast meet soon.

J

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
38,779 Posts
If it's a mint Face Lift R171/55l, I'd go for it (y)
Being un-modified could be a big advantage going forward, with changes in the UK law in the pipe line, that all cars must be 100% stock.... One thing to remember, the leather covered roll over hoops option means You can't fit the OEM Perspex Wind Deflector..
My car is stock.
Exhaust from Quicksilver stock.

So is Jeff's.
Kleemann performance kit from Kleemann stock.

But don't dismiss the concept. The slow uptake of electric even with lower tax, cheaper/free urban access, means they still need a tool to cull petrol and diesel eventually. A long way off, if at all, but not shocked that it is on the table.

Time to buy the 'perfect' car whilst you still can.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
38,779 Posts
Soon everything will be MB 'original'.
Just need stamp and engraver to put stars everywhere. Then pick MOT centre least likely to look closer.

MB motto is the best or nothing.
MB owner is adapt to survive.

Bikers went through this with exhausts 20 years ago. Still fitting aftermarket kit now.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350 "Adamantine"
235 Posts
A pair of Blue Flame Evo's on my 350 would sound brill :eek:( I know off topic-sorry) I miss those zorsts.:mad:

·
*Premium Member
2013 SLK55 AMG
530 Posts
Just buy it. I did with mine and without even seeing it. I wanted a 55 with the right spec to meet my own desires and I was struggling to match it. Then literally put of the blue BHAM and there it was, on my driveway and in my name. Out of the blue was an amazing blue for me. I truly hope its the same for you. if it makes your heart race and flutter then do it. if when you have it and it doesn't seem right them just sell it on until your unicorn turns up

21 - 40 of 52 Posts