Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
*Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG with P30
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

just wondering if i’m mad, but I’m thinking about paying top money for a low mileage r171 Slk55 in very rare colour, all the options, including P30.

one owner car, 2008 model, very low miles, full main dealer history etc etc.

it’s one that won’t come up very often.

I’d need to let Jarvis go in part exchange.

what you pay for the ‘perfect’ SLK55?

thanks,

Jester

·
*Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG w/P30 (Malene)
172 Posts
With all the craziness lately and the scarcity of great used cars at reasonable prices, you might be surprised how high the prices can go. 💰
Now if the car is in mint condition as you say, it’s probably worth every penny they are asking for :)

·
*Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG with P30
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I think it will always re-sell easily,
although the kudos of a one owner car only applies once of course.

But how does £25k sound for an R171? - sounds crazy to me, but it all depends how much a person wants it. The market may be narrow, but if one person will pay, that’s the market value I guess.

I could buy a reasonably good R172 for that money, but somehow I still prefer the 171 and wonder if a really good example will be more collectible than a standard 172 in the future.

if someone would sell me their Kleemann S8, it may Solve the problem 😁

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,127 Posts
Do you know if it's a pre- or post-facelift model? When exactly was it made in '08? The switch-over happened sometime in the fall, September I think..

The easiest and quickest way to see the difference is looking at the HU and the steering wheel. The PreFL have these round buttons..
Car Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift White

.. while the postFL have these smaller and "integrated" buttons.
Vehicle Car Radio Satellite radio Motor vehicle

I personally wanted (and managed to find, after long wait!) a postFL.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,127 Posts
Considering the "rare colour", that means it's not black, silver or white (the most common colours, in that order :) ). I've seen a few blue of different shade and they're all superdupermeganice!!

But then there's a few reds.. Not sure if the R171 had problems with the red, but MB did apparently have a lot of problems with some red colour in the past.. @Avel Du ?

The PostFL does make it just a smidge more worth than that. It's difficult to say obviously, but if I would sell a car like that, I would aim for just a smidge over £25k. To buy?? Well, it's all about how many interested parties they have on it and/or how long they've had it on the forcourt :D.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,127 Posts
Oh, there's also something called "Designo Colours (and interiors)". Those are super-rare!!

I managed to see one when I was looking for mine, in gold/champagne metallic. SUPER NICE! But, it was a spain import so I didn't want to risk it..

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
38,660 Posts
Red had issues, mostly UK 171, but 172s suffered too. Blistering.
172 thread as example:

Get a datacard and see what it has officially.

Low mileage (for an 08 I'd be expecting circa 70K as not low), paint colour, options, 1, or owners and FSH (MB best, but MB Indy good) and the P30 sports package command premium.

UK second hand prices nuts at moment (and rising) and like throwing a dart on Bullseye.
IF you feel it is value and want it, then worth the money. If it doesn't tick YOUR boxes then wait.

You need to run through the check list and especially check the rear subframe (can rot from inside). Some dealers sort without hassle, others will battle you. Think it is circa £800, but others will pipe in.
RMS and valve gaskets need checking.
55 is pretty bullet proof.
When checking tyres pay attention to the inside. AMG set up causes faster wear there.

There are a LOT of what to look for buying a 55 threads on here.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG with P30
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Turbo. You and I think it’s possibly worth it.
Its not Red.

other opinions gratefully received.

my feeling is the market will regain some sense this year, so I could lose several grand on its £value, but not an issue if I finally find something I’m in love with!

I’ll let you know tomorrow, and hopefully it means Jarvis will be available to somebody at a decent price very soon.

cheers all

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
38,660 Posts
Cheers Turbo. You and I think it’s possibly worth it.
Its not Red.

other opinions gratefully received.

my feeling is the market will regain some sense this year, so I could lose several grand on its £value, but not an issue if I finally find something I’m in love with!

I’ll let you know tomorrow, and hopefully it means Jarvis will be available to somebody at a decent price very soon.

cheers all
If you have doubts about price.
If you have the reg for it, price on carwow or similar. Usually £1-2 K lower than true value.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
1,298 Posts
Value is entirely up to you.
What $$$$ do you believe it is worth to you???
Will be your new ride
Get a data card on it NOW

·
*Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG
9 Posts
Paid 26000 USD for mine 2 months ago. 2009 facelift with 44k miles, a couple minor cosmetic issues but overall in fantastic shape. Non P30 package. Silver in color so not rare at all lol. It was a great deal to me as the other two 2009 that were available in the entire country with similar mileage 42-44k were selling for 4-6k more

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
155 Posts
Prices on the R171 SLK55 are going up in Australia, I bought mine 4 years ago with low kms for AU$35000, there are 6 cars for sale in the whole of Australia at the moment with price ranging from AU$70000-$100000.
Red Book (local valuation bible) still Values them $25-$30K

·
Founding Member 2006
109,652 Posts
i get these from carfax every month
of course does not reflect my sc, tune,headers,lsd, etc

2009 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK55 AMG BASE
Estimated Mileage - 123,698 mi.​

History Based Value
by CARFAX $13200

1 - 20 of 52 Posts