Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
You image is so small it is difficult to tell, but it looks like the veneer is coming off the area above the climate controls. If so, it is very tricky to get it properly bonded in the vertical position, it will help if you can either take out the module or hold it in place while the adhesive sets up. I can see two possible adhesives the will work. Either Gorilla Glue or two part epoxy, In either case, follow directions carefully, and work carefully. Once it is stuck, it will be there. I have had good luck with quick drying two part epoxy.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks it is actually coming apart in a few places so like you said I would like to pull the module BUT the car is new to me and I have know idea how to get it out without coursing damage. So could you help me with that. Don’t even know yet how to pull the radio the cup holders or even get the ash tray the piece that holds to actual ash try itself out.

:Beer:

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you have a stock M-B radio, you have to pull it first (make sure you have the radio code, as you will need it if you unplug the radio) with a set of "keys" (you can buy cheap on Ebay). Search this forum and/or Google for SLK console disassembly, etc. Plenty of threads and pictures on this.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Gorilla Glue is great for wood (if you follow directions). It needs moisture to "set it off". Other stuff not so good. If I really, really, want something to stay stuck, I will use a 2 part epoxy for a particular application (metal, wood, marine, what ever) as they are formulated for the particular material(s). The problem with it is getting things apart once you have joined them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gorilla Snot--the yellow weatherproof seal adhesive, sold in most auto parts store--packaged in a red tube.
Will stick any two substances in the world together, use as contact cement, apply, let dry, press pieces in place. May never come off your fingers, clean up parts with Goo-Gone

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
May help if you do them in stages with a a few good pairs of padded C-clamps or something similar.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
;)I would not recommend Gorilla Glue or a two part epoxy. Here's what will work, DAP Weldwood Contact Cement/Adhesive. Sold at Lowes, Wal*Mart and just about everywhere. I would recommend the 3 oz bottle with brush. You brush it on the two surfaces to be bonded, let dry, and press together. If you can either completely remove the pieces coming loose, or separate the two surfaces enough to coat the two, let dry, and then press together. Once you press together, it's set, no further drying. I've used this stuff for years on a variety of surfaces and it works well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Follow the directions that Don listed above with the contact cement. I repaired mine with the same product and procedure.
Randy

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I see that Wal-Mart sells it but that's in the USA I was hoping to find something in Canada. Next time I go into the USA I will pick some up.

Thanks for the input mate :Beer:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone pulled it all apart on Sunday it seems someone had tried to fix it in place and made a right mess of it. Had to brake each of the levels apart then clean all the (....) off aplied the contact cement waited for 15 minute then very carefully brought the pieces together. I had to clamp it all up over night for it to allow the pieces they had bent out of place to stick to each other. It's now back in the car but I'm afraid whilst removing the (....) they had left behind I scratch some of the finish. When I wet the wood grain is still there so it's the finish that has come off. But I don't know if it Varnish or Lacquer.

Anyone know.:Beer:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Lacquer. Strip of finish with stripper made for Lacquer and #0000 steel wool. Hand sand with 400 grit paper, clean with tack cloth. Use automotive grade lacquer, sanding with ever finer paper between coats (as many as you like).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.