Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've driven/ridden in several other cars in the same class as my SLK280. A couple were more powerful, a couple more modern.

But overall, I'm still happiest with my car ... and with my Mercedes independent mechanic. To me, the worst part of moving to some other car is having to leave my mechanic and find someone else as good and as understanding of my particular needs and desires when it comes to setting up and maintaining my car.

No, I'm not changing to some other car any time soon. If it were destroyed, like the last one, I'd buy another or another Mercedes model that I liked. :)

G

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Finally made the jump.

I bought a Z4 35i. Its got iDrive (Nav), xenons, brand new 19" OEM wheels+tyres, heated electric sports seats (with electric side bolsters so you get a very snug fit!) heated steering wheel. It's also DCT, which initially I wasn't keen on, as I always found the SLK's 7G a bit dimwitted, but its completely different. In sports mode
it's incredibly fast at changing and I'm yet to catch it out!

The seller also had the front bumper and bonnet resprayed recently as the stone chips bothered him.
Stock its 306bhp, but has had a custom map taking it to about 360-370.
2010, 70k miles
Just under £11k

the main selling points were the age & milage - the '55 and Cayman worked out a lot more expensive. To pick one up for the same price I was looking at a 5 year older car with an extra 50k miles.

Attachments

·
Registered 2005 SLK350-sold
997 Posts
Finally made the jump.

I bought a Z4 35i. Its got iDrive (Nav), xenons, brand new 19" OEM wheels+tyres, heated electric sports seats (with electric side bolsters so you get a very snug fit!) heated steering wheel. It's also DCT, which initially I wasn't keen on, as I always found the SLK's 7G a bit dimwitted, but its completely different. In sports mode

The seller also had the front bumper and bonnet resprayed recently as the stone chips bothered him.
2010, 70k miles
Just under £11k

the main selling points were the age & milage - the '55 and Cayman worked out a lot more expensive. To pick one up for the same price I was looking at a 5 year older car with an extra 50k miles.
I inherently dislike BMWs (and the people that drive them...) just based on the few I have met, and see in rush hour traffic.
BUT, I REALLY like that car. I may have to consider one in the future, looks like a nice driver's car. How does it ride compared to a SLK?
Price seems good for that kind of car, I'll have to look and see what they go for over here.

Edit - I did a quick look, nothing that good around here, but closer than I thought. I found a 2011 30i for $16,000 USD with 100K miles.
Not as cool looking as that red interior though.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,644 Posts
Last BMW I had was a '70 2000A (actually wife said she waned a bimmer so found her one. Took out the AC compressor pulley on curbs (hung low in front) at least a dozen timed but fortunately I had access to a lathe so could fix it. Suspect they are better now. Liked the 3.0 CS but never had one. Z4 with retractible does look good, wonder if the same company makes the SLK roof.

My clone has a red (cedar) interior and it is nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I inherently dislike BMWs (and the people that drive them...) just based on the few I have met, and see in rush hour traffic.
BUT, I REALLY like that car. I may have to consider one in the future, looks like a nice driver's car. How does it ride compared to a SLK?
Price seems good for that kind of car, I'll have to look and see what they go for over here.

Edit - I did a quick look, nothing that good around here, but closer than I thought. I found a 2011 30i for $16,000 USD with 100K miles.
Not as cool looking as that red interior though.
Thanks!

It's definitely different to the SLK. Its a harder ride, and the feeling feels a more precise, but that might just be because the SLK is nearly twice the age.
More of a cruiser than a 'sports car' (Cayman/Boxster), but then so is the SLK.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350-sold
997 Posts
Last BMW I had was a '70 2000A (actually wife said she waned a bimmer so found her one. Took out the AC compressor pulley on curbs (hung low in front) at least a dozen timed but fortunately I had access to a lathe so could fix it. Suspect they are better now. Liked the 3.0 CS but never had one. Z4 with retractible does look good, wonder if the same company makes the SLK roof.

My clone has a red (cedar) interior and it is nice.
I had a 2004 White Clone with 6sp, and the same interior, the whole reason I bought that specific Crossfire. (and started me down the SLK path) Now I'm back to pure Mopar.
I LOVED that interior.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Finally made the jump.

2010, 70k miles
Just under £11k

Looks great. I was originally looking for a 3.0 Z4 with manual gear box, and could not find any in the same price range as the SLK, which is how I ended up with the SLK. No regrets however. Enjoy your new toy!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts