Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me think............ Ahhh. Look behind you.

Which is something the bloke that hit me failed to do this afternoon.

He was stopped in the middle of the road picking up a passenger. I pulled up behind him - about 10 feet from the rear of his car.

His passenger gets in, he selects reverse gear, and before I can get out of the way............. Crunch. He did not look behind, before moving.

New bumper, parking sensors (as they're going crazy beeping) & some new mesh grill. Insurance job.

Just spent all weekend detailing the car after covering 1200 miles last week. Ah well. No one was hurt. Just a bit pissed off.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,254 Posts
Oh my! I am sooo sorry for you.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Talk about carelessness on the part of the other driver.

Hope the repairs get sorted out quickly.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,730 Posts
think thats now four of us on slkworld been hit in the last five weeks :mad:

hope you get it sorted ok and look on the bright side at least you didnt end up with a bust wrist like i did.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So sad to hear about your trouble. I avoided a rear end-er a few weeks back here in a small California town. I saw the young girl looking down and coming too fast to stop. I hit the gas and got out of her way. She skidded to a stop past the spot I was just in. I was so shaken at the near miss that I tucked my ride back in the garage for the day. I hope you get her fixed to soon take her out again.:butt:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!

I fear this may turn out to be a long process. The other driver after initially admitting liability, has now changed his mind, and said I ran into the back of him. Thats a lie.

think thats now four of us on slkworld been hit in the last five weeks :mad:

hope you get it sorted ok and look on the bright side at least you didnt end up with a bust wrist like i did.
Four???! Are our cars invisible or something? Are they too low?

You must have been walloped at a fair old speed to break your wrist. Hope it's healing well!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks all!

I fear this may turn out to be a long process. The other driver after initially admitting liability, has now changed his mind, and said I ran into the back of him. Thats a lie.

You must have been walloped at a fair old speed to break your wrist. Hope it's healing well!
Did he admit it on the police report?

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Thanks all!

A screen cam is essential these days m8 They will lie their way out of anything

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did he admit it on the police report?
No. I called the Police to report the accident. I was asked if anyone was injured - No. I was asked if any road signs were damaged (huh??) - No. Have we exchanged details? Yes. Thats all the Police asked - they're basically not interested in a minor traffic accident! They obviously did not attend.

A screen cam is essential these days m8 They will lie their way out of anything
Y'know something? I've been thinking about getting one for the past 2 years; some of the driving I encounter on the roads is shocking.

After today, one is now a high priority.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
.... check to see if there is a car behind you to save using the handbrake? :(

For some drivers, driving is the last thing on their mind when they're behind the wheel. Completely oblivious of the things and people around them.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
No. I called the Police to report the accident. I was asked if anyone was injured - No. I was asked if any road signs were damaged (huh??) - No. Have we exchanged details? Yes. Thats all the Police asked - they're basically not interested in a minor traffic accident! They obviously did not attend.

Y'know something? I've been thinking about getting one for the past 2 years; some of the driving I encounter on the roads is shocking.

After today, one is now a high priority.
Mine was a mere £35 Tatts works well. You can pay hundreds but I find this one works well enough. Runs for 4 hours on one charge. and will take up to a 32 gig micro SD card

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,730 Posts
Thanks all!

yea wrist is doing fine and the cars back and looking good.as for the crash he hit me on the n/s/f wheel ,so my steering wheel took a bite out of me :biglaugh:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Sorry to learn about the mishap.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Thanks mucka! Just ordered one! :)
The manual is tiny and my CD wouldnt run but I soon sussed out the most important bits. It comes with a screen sucker and a dash base. I used the dash base stuck to the top of the screen next to the mirror. Gives a better angle of view. The sun caused the sticky pad to give way so I used double sided automotive tape instead. I also ran a usb cable up the door pillar and along behind the screen lining so it has a live feed. That way it fires up as soon as the ignition is on. and when the card is full it overwrites the beginning so unless you need to save anything I just let it keep overwriting. Its hardly noticeable up at the top from outside.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,761 Posts
Hope you get it sorted soon ! There's a poor lady driver on a Spanish site I'm also a member of , who shortly after buying her car got ran into , spent three weeks to get it back only to get backed into on the first day back , by a semi drunk , aggresive , woman driver hating ******** !! How's that for bad luck ?

·
Registered
622 Posts
this is just sickening to hear when people are so careless with there driving, hope it gets sorted quick!......

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi jon, thanks for the link to the camera, it looks good, do you have any pics of it in situ and do you ever watch the videos back on your pc?

also when you say you run a usb up to it, do you simply plug it into the lighter socket for power?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Tatts, sorry to hear that but don't get sad because of that. Actually I've only had 2 minor accidents an both of times I've got hit from the front with car backing up. Once it was with the SLK and literally nothing happened. The other time it was with the other car and I got some minor damage on the bumper.

I've got the case closed by dealing with other parties insurance company and telling that at that time my car was in static position (and it really was) and that the car in the front was backing up and did not notice my. My honk on the horn didn't help much and i got hit.

I believe that if you insist on the fact that your car was not moving the case would get closed for your favor. And try not to involve your insurance company if you can.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.