Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what my fellow SLK 230 members are using for rotors and pads and how good is your stopping power.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just got Akebono ceramic pads for my wife's 01 SLK 320. Haven't got them on yet but the reviews are very good. Don't know about rotors, ours are fine.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
Just put the Akebono ceramic pads on my 07 350. First 200 miles all most dust free and smooth and quite. The rotors were NAPA ULTRA PREMIUM rotors.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
It's going to take a lot of convincing to make me use anything other than those brands that came as OE on the car. Been doing that on Mercedes for 25 years with no issues and you can't beat the stopping power. The brake dust is not an issue for me.

Len

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put on a pair of EBC Sport Rotors and EBC Red Stuff brake pads. All i can say is Holy Smokes or maybe WOW!!! They are incredible, they will stop on a dime and give you nine cents back. They work so good its unbelievable. They almost seem too good like your confidence level is elevated to where you might get yourself into trouble. I think that sums it up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe my last post above yours was a pretty good review with two thumbs up. :tu::tu:

Brakes Tech sells the ones I bought but I didn't see anything there that said they were EBC. I have always liked EBC though so if that what they are I'm good.. I'll give a report after testing.
Thanks Krazy
Larry

·
Banned
87 Posts
Well the OEM pads have to be up to stopping the car not only in normal driving situations but at its limits. I don't think any aftermarket pad does a better job than the MB OEM pads. However, the Benz pad throw off a lot of black dust which makes a mess of the wheels.

As soon as I picked up my new SLK, within 20 miles, I put on a set of Akebonos front and back. They do a good job of stopping the car and no ugly dust.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Porterfield Pads

Had Porterfield pads installed on new OEM Rotors. They are not fully bedded but there is a noticeable difference. Good initial bite and very linear braking with pedal depression. Just what I was looking for and well worth the premium cost of the Porterfield pads. I'm not concerned about brake dust and have had some wet weather so rims are dirty and I can't tell if these are better or worse than stock.

·
Registered 2000 SLK200K
337 Posts
I am using EBC USR rotors and redstuff on front and rears.

Excellent stopping power, no fade after repeated braking, even gets better and you feel very confident. Almost no dust. Last longer. But...

...full bedding in takes way toooo loooong. Very noisy under heavy braking, feels like a truck, best for track days and not necessary for daily use. And vibrations started recently, so I ordered a full set of OEMs for a real quiet and quality Benz ride. I will have them installed along with a new set of michelin primacy hp mo's. (mo stands for mercedez original) :grin:

rollin' in my 2.0

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just finished reading the posts regarding brake pad/rotor combos used by members on their SLK's. Interesting evaluations across a broad spectrum of products. Therefore I thought I would share some thoughts on the subject acquired from my many years of racing and street use. During my years of road racing (SCCA, NASA, & USAC [yes you read right]) as well as nationally campaigning a rallycar in the US Rally Championship (formerly SCCA Pro Rally, and now Rally America) we encountered a vast range of terrain and conditions that no single pad/rotor combo could be expected to handle. Our German breed rallycar was especially compliant with Brembo perforated (cross drilled) rotors for long fast stages as well as Frozen rotors (cryo treated ventillated) for short/tight stages that were especially tough on brakes due to heat (lots of left foot braking to help rotate the car). As for pads, we used everything imaginable from Hawk to Pagid to Porterfield but always had a couple of sets of Brembos for general use and in the service truck as back ups. IMHO its hard to beat Brembo unless you're looking for a specific friction coefficient and heat range, then you have to research whats available from the specialty manufacturers (or run what your sponsors provide; truth be told, sometimes we painted/disguised the pads we used to resemble our sponsors brand if they didn't have the FC/heat range we needed for that event). Anyway, point being that for most street/autocross application its tough to beat Brembo. I like Akebono's and some of the EBC's, but the Brembo rotor & pad combo works so well together that its almost pointless to try to find a boutique brand thats as good. Maybe thats why MB, BMW, PORSCHE and AUDI use them on their road cars and race cars ( not to mention F1, Indycar, IMSA, etc.). I use Brembo rotors and ceramic pads on my SLK and they do everything I asked of them. Just my 2 cents worth. Cheers

·
Registered
578 Posts
don't want to spend tons of money, i will go with BECK/ARNLEY or ATC

for normal performance street use i use EBC.

i tried it and confirmed! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
cheers all for an interesting post as im about to change the pads and discs on my 230, as the previous owner stuck some cheapy no marks on there and there squeaking like a bitch

1 - 20 of 21 Posts