Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The tread on my rear tires is warn out, so I'm in need of some new tires. I'm looking at the following all-season tires from Costco:

Bridgestone - Potenza RE97AS (45k miles manufacturer warranty) $140/each

Michelin - Pilot® Sport A/S 3 (45k miles manufacturer warranty) $159/each

Michelin - Primacy™ MXM4 (45k miles manufacturer warranty) $177/each

Bridgestone - Potenza RE970AS Pole Position (40k miles manufacturer warranty) $143/each

Which ones would you guys suggest?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
What brand are your front tires? It's not a good idea to mix tire brands, as differences in construction & performance can lead to some bizarre handling quirks.

That aside, the Michelin Pilot Sports are very nice tires, as are the Bridgestone Pole Positions. I haven't owned either of these specific models, but have owned earlier versions of the Pilot Sport family and been quite happy with them.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,422 Posts
Better check those warranties. Most require rotation front to rear to be valid. Some cut the warranty in half if not rotated, if they even will warranty for wear.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Better check those warranties. Most require rotation front to rear to be valid. Some cut the warranty in half if not rotated, if they even will warranty for wear.

Rotating isn't possible on the SLK, at least not in North America. The tire sizes and wheel widths are different F/R, and most tires are directional so they can't be swapped L/R without dismounting them from the rims. Given that, it seems that few SLK owners attempt to rotate their tires and simply drive them until they need replacement. It's a sports car, after all, so getting a lot of mileage out of the tires usually isn't a key criterion for purchase; traction usually is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys! I called costco. They said the warranty will be cut in half. The front tires are michelin mxm4.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

I just put them on. I removed Yokohama Avid Envigor tires.

You will be very happy with the A/S 3.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys! I called costco. They said the warranty will be cut in half. The front tires are michelin mxm4.
If your budget allows, replace all four. The MXM is a Touring tire; it doesn't have the grip that the Pilot Sport AS3 does. I suspect that you'll induce an understeer condition at the front by mixing the two tire models; the MXMs will reach their grip limits well before the Pilot Sports do. Costco also usually has a rebate coupon for $70 or so when purchasing four instead of two.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My front tires are mxm4 and they have a lot of tread left in them.

So, should I get new mxm4 tires just for the rear or do I absolutely need to change all four tires?

Btw, I'm on a budget 0:)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My front tires are mxm4 and they have a lot of tread left in them.

So, should I get new mxm4 tires just for the rear or do I absolutely need to change all four tires?

Btw, I'm on a budget 0:)
Well, the way forward then is probably to fit MXMs in the rear. The car won't feel as sure-footed as with the PS3s, but there's no harm in it.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,722 Posts
Hi all

I'm not sure having different brands front & rear will make the car handle poorly , I would say some brands are better suited at the front & some at the rear

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hi all

I'm not sure having different brands front & rear will make the car handle poorly , I would say some brands are better suited at the front & some at the rear

Cheers

Andy
Perhaps so, but Daimler-Benz doesn't mix brands on different ends of the car when they build it and in this case I'll assume that they know best.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I second Beekster here.

My first choice would be new Pilot Sports on all 4 corners. If that's not possible for budget reasons, I would mount MXM4s on the rear.

It's entirely possible that mixing makes/models/wear levels of tires would have no ill effect, but I would not do it given the choice.

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,429 Posts
Unless you're going to test the performance limits often on your car, go cheap within reason.

Think about this for a second, you're going to change your back tires more than likely more often than you're scheduled to change your oil. Oil Changes are 10,500 miles, tires on the back last about 8,000 miles. The only thing would vary that thought process is if you drive low miles per year. Now if you're going to really be getting on your car or tracking it, then go with better tires.

Just my thought.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts