1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,206 Posts
owner's manual? :D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here is another oil question for the oil gurus here.

MB had always recommended Mobil One ( there are others accepted but Mobil One is THE oil of choice) and has always stated that synthetic is a MUST.

Now only Mobil One Extended Performance is a true class IV synthetic, all other Mobil One products are the class III "synthetics" that are petroleum based, has MB updated their recommendations on oil?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here is another oil question for the oil gurus here.

MB had always recommended Mobil One ( there are others accepted but Mobil One is THE oil of choice) and has always stated that synthetic is a MUST.

Now only Mobil One Extended Performance is a true class IV synthetic, all other Mobil One products are the class III "synthetics" that are petroleum based, has MB updated their recommendations on oil?
Only reason MB recommends Mobile 1 is because Mobil has PAID MB large amounts of money for the exclusivity of being the Official oil of MB.

A very small amount of "Synthetic" oils are truly synthetic, the majority are Group III - this is a highly refined mineral oil made through a process called hydrocracking. In North America this group is considered a synthetic oil, for marketing purposes.

http://www.synthetic-oil-technology.info/

Mobile 1 is made from Alkenes, Alkenes are produced by hydrocarbon cracking. Raw materials are mostly natural gas condensate components (principally ethane and propane) in the US and Mideast and naphtha in Europe and Asia.
SO EVEN MOBILE 1 IS MADE FROM PETROLEUM BASE.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olefin#Synthesis

·
Registered
161 Posts
Alkenes-LOL there is a reason that I am not an ER surgeon letting MB do the maintenance on my car...and the reason would be chemistry. All of the C, H, and O's running around the page makes my head spin. I read it but do not really understand it...

The class III is an American advertising screw-up. Only in America can a class III oil be considered a synthetic. So for Mobil One to be considered a synthetic in the EU, it has to be a class IV oil. Generally class IV oils are PAO (crude derived) synthetic. Class III are Class II (petroleum derived) oils (mineral oil) that have been modified to be more like synthetic oils.

So Mobil One still has to have at least 1 class IV to be sold as synthetic in the EU. Here is my rephrased question.

Has MB tested the class III and approved it for MB engines or are their recommendation on the EU class IV version.

Just for my further education:
Back to the previous comment about Alkenes-I think( think being the operative word) all oils are derived from modification of hydrocarbons, just one set comes from crude and some are derived from petroleum. So are Alkenes from crude or from the further refine petroleum?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alkenes-LOL there is a reason that I am not an ER surgeon letting MB do the maintenance on my car...and the reason would be chemistry. All of the C, H, and O's running around the page makes my head spin. I read it but do not really understand it...

The class III is an American advertising screw-up. Only in America can a class III oil be considered a synthetic. So for Mobil One to be considered a synthetic in the EU, it has to be a class IV oil. Generally class IV oils are PAO (crude derived) synthetic. Class III are Class II (petroleum derived) oils (mineral oil) that have been modified to be more like synthetic oils.

So Mobil One still has to have at least 1 class IV to be sold as synthetic in the EU. Here is my rephrased question.

Has MB tested the class III and approved it for MB engines or are their recommendation on the EU class IV version.

Just for my further education:
Back to the previous comment about Alkenes-I think( think being the operative word) all oils are derived from modification of hydrocarbons, just one set comes from crude and some are derived from petroleum. So are Alkenes from crude or from the further refine petroleum?
Alkenes (Naphtha) is obtained in petroleum refineries as one of the intermediate products from the distillation of crude oil. It is a liquid intermediate between the light gases in the crude oil and the heavier liquid kerosene.[12] Naphthas are volatile, flammable and have a specific gravity of about 0.7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.