Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly I am new to MB so excuse me if I am asking a silly question.
My wife has just bought a 2005 SLK350 which was imported from Japan.
The speakers have the Harmon/Kardon badges and the stereo has all the usual phone, Nav buttons etc but searching the forum I have not identified the head unit.
It looks like all the others I have seen here with the silver buttons down the sides etc but there is no CD slot at the top.
Instead two of the buttons under the screen are labeled MD and Disc.
The Disc button makes the screen slide up to show the cd slot behind the screen at the bottom and the MD button slides the screen down and shows a Mini Disk slot at the top.
It does not appear to have an Aux in anywhere that I can find nor is it shown as a function on the screen. I don't know if it is a command system or not.
Any help greatly appreciated.

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
A picture of it would help a lot ...

Cheers
Sean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys

This is the head unit we have in the SLK350

The screen is motorized and moves up to show the single CD and down to show the Mini Disc

There is also the usual 6 stack CD in the glove box.

If anyone can tell me what this is it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,275 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SLK Head unit.

Thanks again guys.

I can see it being replaced in short order with something Ipod and Blue Tooth compatible.

Cheers

Don

·
Registered
193 Posts
According to your data card you have a Japanese version of the comand....also the screen picture indicates that it is a Comand.

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Fascinating - If you hadn't posted the picture I would have told you it was impossible. Another geographic oddity emerges.

Remember to update those profiles, boys. :)

Several folks are working through the S100 units on eBay. You may want to give one of those a try if you are OK with going aftermarket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Japanese Head Unit.

Thanks guys.

Yes confirmed it is a Comand unit with all the Japanese bells and whistles most of which are of little use.

CD
Mini Disc
6 disc changer
Web Browsing
Nav
Phone via cable in console
Digital TV
amp
speakers everywhere!

Unfortunately after searching the forum it appears there is no audio aux in port I can use to attached an Ipod etc. and the fixes I have found on the forum (eg pres and hold CDC to activate Aux, then add cable) don't work.

As a Japanese MB HU even the cable connectors are apparently different.
For some reason MB for Japan use a totally different comand unit to the rest of the world and parts are not cross compatible.

The sound when playing CDs is simply stunning (better than our old BMW Z4) but without even a basic aux in port for other audio sources it does not really have the functionality we want so if anyone knows a way of fitting a simple aux in port on this thing please do let me know.

If we can't get aux in then we will have to look at going aftermarket (don't mind the mod look). That apparently requires a double din unit plus steering wheel control cables, can-box and a new amp to bring it up to the same power/quality as the existing unit. We have been quoted around $2k for that little job.

Cheers

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.