Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What mm would you change your rear tyres

Both MY rear tyres now between 3.5 and 4 mm but look a lot lower should I wait for them to be about 2 mm before I change ~(UK minimum 1.6 mm).

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,068 Posts
If you dont drive madly and not in the rain .
Id go 2mm
But keep close eye on them .

But if its motorway driving and constant use 2-3mm ?

·
Registered 2005 SLK350-sold
997 Posts
What mm would you change your rear tyres

Both MY rear tyres now between 3.5 and 4 mm but look a lot lower should I wait for them to be about 2 mm before I change ~(UK minimum 1.6 mm).
In the USA, most states that have inspections will fail at 2/32" which is dang close to 1.6mm. From my experience, summer/dry that is fine, heavy rain & winter, at least double that. If you only use it in fair weather, I'd say good to go. If not, now would be a good time to start shopping for new ones.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't do many miles think I will wait and have them changed before next winter, not been over 70 mph yet.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,561 Posts
Tyres are not that exspensive.
Run them to about 2.5mm and replace them.
If you are not too bothered about grip levels you could get some budget brand.
I put two rears on mine, Pirelli Rosso for around £260. (HiQ) Black Circle and Mytyres are decent places to look.
You can get New Tyres from around £45 each.
I always buy well known brand, Goodyear, Dunlop, Pirelli etc, these are the things that make you Stop and Steer.
Good Brakes and Rubbish Tyres = Rubbish Brakes :surprise:
When it rains in the Summer the Roads can become unpredictable with standing water where you least expect it.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,211 Posts
Around Easter may be a good time to go looking at offers from tyre places. You may save a few bob in the deal!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Usually change mine at 3mm or just below, find that performance (especially in the wet) starts to go off at below 3mm.

After driving an S2000 with a wild LSD in the wet, I'm always on the conservative side.

RR

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I'm sure you haven't - after all, the top speed limit here is 70mph! :wink:
(And I believe your 'yet' was a mistype! >:D)
I take my SLK to mainland Europe 3 or 4 times per year. Most other countries in Europe have a 130km/h limit (83mph-ish) and Germany theoretically allows us to do much higher speed runs although as I tend to drive with the roof down it gets pretty blustery over 200km/h and you definitely can't hear the stereo at that speed so that always slows me down.

If you want to read tales of derring-do on UK roads the "Driving Stories" threads are usually fairly incriminating!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.