Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a site search with keywords "top speed" and didn't see where there was an existing thread on the topic, so I thought I'd start one.

If there is already one in existence, please direct me there, delete this thread and I will begin knocking out the appropriate number of push-ups. :grin:

I've had the car for 4 days now, just got it back from the shop where it got a new alternator, and had to take it out for a spin.
There's lots of highway out here in the Central Oregon desert with nothing but sagebrush for miles, so it's a great place to let 'er rip.

I got it to 135, and thought "cool."
Then thought: "let's do more."

Then I said "screw it", had gone back and forth along the same stretch a couple of times so I was confident in the lack of police cars, deer, etc... so I decided to go for it.

154 mph.

What's your top speed driven in your SLK?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,466 Posts
r u talking 55/r171? if so, i will move your thread out of the general discussion
r u talking with the limiter which is about 155, or no limiter like mine, then I did 180

·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is correct sir, but I thought it would be interesting to see what other peoples' top speeds driven are regardless of their model.

Being as no mods have been done to this car prior to my ownership, I am sure the limiter is intact, plus, the car ceased to accelerate past 154 on the digital readout.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
I am pleading and exercising the 5th amendment :grin:

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,442 Posts
It has been a few years ago, but I think we hit about 135 on a wide open road on our way to Vegas. Could see for miles and we were the only car out there so felt pretty safe. Could have gone faster, but the SLK had more guts than we did.

·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been a few years ago, but I think we hit about 135 on a wide open road on our way to Vegas. Could see for miles and we were the only car out there so felt pretty safe. Could have gone faster, but the SLK had more guts than we did.
You were wise to not exceed your comfort zone. :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
My goal was to hit the limiter on the Autobahn last summer, but bottled it at 145 when coming up on traffic. Backed off, and a 911 went passed me and two lanes of traffic doing more than me!! I clearly need to man up:smile:

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,835 Posts
I've allegedly had 150 with the top down and a passenger, but I swear that I was only doing 70, as it was so stable on the road. >:D

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,502 Posts
I don't think I've been past 95 in the Dawg, in Ohio we have the death penalty for speeding! (Cannonball Run reference!)(but it's true!)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I've only seen 80 briefly in Sunhilde, on the parade lap at the Portland Vintage Festival last year.

Top speed ever was 125, back in 1998 in our long-lost 190E 2.3-16. That was on Highway 6 in Utah, miles of dead-straight highway with virtually no traffic. We saw two oncoming cars in as many hours. We got the 16v up to 125, and cruised at that speed for a full half hour. The car shrugged it off.

·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've only seen 80 briefly in Sunhilde, on the parade lap at the Portland Vintage Festival last year.

Top speed ever was 125, back in 1998 in our long-lost 190E 2.3-16. That was on Highway 6 in Utah, miles of dead-straight highway with virtually no traffic. We saw two oncoming cars in as many hours. We got the 16v up to 125, and cruised at that speed for a full half hour. The car shrugged it off.
It's crazy sustaining high speeds for long durations, isn't it?
Didja note the odometer reading clicking by twice as quickly as usual?

Back in my crotch rocket motorcycle days, I'd often hold between 130-150 for long stretches of open highway... it's crazy to watch the signs showing the distance to the next town.
"Yakima 125 miles", then 20 minutes later "Yakima 65 miles"... lol

I swear you really can feel time slow down as per Einstein's equation. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
It's crazy sustaining high speeds for long durations, isn't it?
I swear you really can feel time slow down as per Einstein's equation. :nerd:
You got that right! It really seemed surreal; we chased down and passed a coal train running on the adjacent tracks and he was moving at a pretty good clip. What we did notice is that we got into Salt Lake City an hour earlier than we thought we would at the start of the day. At the time, we were nearly three weeks on the road, driving from Hillsboro to Savannah, GA and back for StarFest '98. After our high-speed run into SLC, we spent the night there and started for home the next day. We'd planned on two days from there, but by the time we got to Pendelton we could smell home and kept going. Eleven hours in the saddle that day.

·
96,466 Posts
No, because the Earth is also turning. :D

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
No, because the Earth is also turning. :D
That means that SLKs in the UK are really moving at about 983mph, give or take direction of travel, because the angular rotation rate of the planet is a little over 913mph. Over here or elsewhere in the world, SLKs like Jeff's can reach something like Mach 1.4 when traveling eastward...

"Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving, and revolving at nine hundred miles an hour. It's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned, the sun that is the source of all our power...">:D

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,610 Posts
While driving Top Down back across Germany last summer, on a quite stretch of Autobahn, My speedo had a funny turn & reckoned We touched 208km/129mph....
Not bad going for a 95% fuel load, Passenger, car packed to the gills with 16 nights luggage for two people and the extra drag of the roof being down..!! Though someone who is good at maths can work out the instant mph, as it dropped the average by 0.3mpg over 2 miles, having already covered 177 miles?

·
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That means that SLKs in the UK are really moving at about 983mph, give or take direction of travel, because the angular rotation rate of the planet is a little over 913mph. Over here or elsewhere in the world, SLKs like Jeff's can reach something like Mach 1.4 when traveling eastward...

"Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving, and revolving at nine hundred miles an hour. It's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned, the sun that is the source of all our power...">:D
Good point!

However...

That's the speed of Earth's rotation at the equator.
London, for example, is 51.5° N of the equator, which would render the speed of rotation there to be just under 443 mph. :nerd:

·
96,466 Posts
I'm the only expert here :D

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Good point!

However...

That's the speed of Earth's rotation at the equator.
London, for example, is 51.5° N of the equator, which would render the speed of rotation there to be just under 443 mph. :nerd:
Yeah, OK...but there ought to be other problems in the UK then, and around here too. Adding their angular velocity to their speed limit gets you into the 513mph range. And since they're all driving relatively close to sea level where the air is thick, and their coefficient of drag is in the low .30-ish range (or similar to most WW2 fighter aircraft), then at that velocity they should be encountering compessibility problems due to shockwave buildup on the leading edge of the car.:wink:

Isn't the mis-application of science fun?!?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.