Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still tinkering with car choices. I think the 4-series convertible is out so I'm back to considering a SLK. I didn't feel like the current SLK is a rear round driver. I didn't like the high waistline which felt constricting with the roof up. The gear selector and the steering wheel closed in on me a bit much. Nice for sporty driving but when tired and sick in winter trying to make it home?

If you have a winter, rain or daily driver or whatever you call that, what is it? How is a two-car setup working out for you?

I only had 2 cars at the same time once, and it was more like drive whatever is not broken and don't bother fixing the other.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,173 Posts
moving to off topic. the general discussion is for slk discussion, but not slk model specific.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My 2013 Kia Sportage is my daily driver. It is my first SUV/Crossover, and I like it! Nice to see over cars for a change. Plus it has a nice aggressive look to it and love the 18's!

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Audi A3 is my daily, SLK is my backup, MB 190E 2.3-16 is my fun car, MK1 Golf Convertible in storage.

Drove my SLK all winter while the Audi got a new engine, worked most of the time well even with summer tires.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
My winter car is an Accord. I actually like driving it. Inexpensive on gas and dings add character.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was about to consider Audi when I heard "new engine" :)
Ha! Yeah catastrophic engine failure due to a $30 bearing failing. Timing belt went snap... and yes, the belt service was done 30k prior. Honestly, I like the car but owing one of these FSI engines has got to be what owning a 1960s Alfa must have been like.

In 2009 they went to a timing chain, in 2011 they switched back...

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,761 Posts
'04 Slk for daily driver .
'04 Ford Focus as wife's car /work horse .
'98 BMW e39 2.8iA for long journeys /holidays .
'94 Opel Corsa for emergencies / or for wife when I need Focus ...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Two others. For daily errands, especially in the rain (Oregon), I have an '04 VW Jetta TDI. For times when we need to carry passengers, and for snow (because I have winter tires for it), we have an '00 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Special Edition. The two M-Bs live in the garage, the Jetta in the driveway. If we can scrape up the money in two or three years, we'd like to sell both the C-Class and the Jetta for a GLK 250 Bluetec now that my craving for a sporty car is satisfied by the SLK 280.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My other vehicle is a Mazda 6, is the family vehicle but usually will drive through Barcelona Motorcycle Suzuki Burgman 125 is faster.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Currently the sensible car is an Audi Q5 3.0TDI - but that's about to be replaced with a BMW X6 M50d.

Whereas the slk is all about fun and enjoying the drive, the other car is there for space, seating, mild off road/poor conditions suitability, and is fast and can be pretty frugal on a long trip where range is an issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought my wife a 2013 KIA Sorento, and I've got my 2008 Scion xB ("The Toaster") and my 2008 SLK55 AMG. I try to spread the love between the Beast and the Toaster, but with weather finally being warm and decently sunny... It's hard to even look at the Toaster. I've had about 6 months of total time with the Beast (excluding my deployment when the wife drove it), and I think that I've put about 8-9k on it myself in those six months. I love driving that thing.

:tazz:

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
'06 Saturn Vue (wife's...GM really screwed the pooch nixing Saturn...:butt:s)
Cessna 172 (Aero Club's, but hopefully a Vans RV-10 build soon! :bannana:)
:D

Reactions: Woolly
1 - 20 of 48 Posts