Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my car yesterday and thought how uneccessary is this mod I've done :smile:

After all you only need to touch the loud pedal to remember you're in an AMG!!

I suppose when I check my mirror before overtaking it can remind me not to hit the pedal too hard :laugh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,411 Posts
I put a similar (but slightly larger) one of those on my wind deflector (so, I still see it, but in a different rear view mirror).

I guess it was also unnecessary to replace my aerial/antenna, but I think it looks better that way!

Actually, on reflection, I'd say that every mod I've done was unnecessary (in someone's eyes), but I still love all of them! :grin: :wink:

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,609 Posts
Forced

I was forced into my Mods by Dave & Col.
I had to change the Indicator bulbs so they don't show Yellow (Fried Eggs).
They are also making me change my Aerial and also I have to fit a SmartTop.
Is there no end........?
These two guys are Bullies with there 'X' Pipes growling at me.>:D

Only joking:grin:

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,741 Posts
Modding is a very personal thing isn't it. What you like might not be everyone's cup of tea. I'd agree most mods are totally unnecessary but I get satisfaction from creating something that is unique and to my personal tastes. Wouldn't it be boring if everyone was the same! Different is good in my view although some people's tastes are just bad or they don't know when to stop!

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
Mods are fun

I didn't realize how many mods I've done until I read this thread. But I'd have to say that the chrome door pins are the most unnecessary followed closely by chrome hood fins. Unnecessary for sure but...

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,609 Posts
I put a similar (but slightly larger) one of those on my wind deflector (so, I still see it, but in a different rear view mirror).

I guess it was also unnecessary to replace my aerial/antenna, but I think it looks better that way!

Actually, on reflection, I'd say that every mod I've done was unnecessary (in someone's eyes), but I still love all of them! :grin: :wink:
That photo just makes me feel hungry, I want a Fried Breakfast......

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,555 Posts
Let's see. Here are the ones I have replaced or regressed on for my '06 280

The mini antenna. It looked great but the hit on radio station reception was too great, even with Eddy's spiral wire mod. Thus I'm back to the eye poker.

LED fogs. The aura at night when you hit "unlock" was awesome (with LED parking lights, license plate modules, and interior OCP bulbs) but one fog burned out in six months, so I'm back to tinted halogens. Maybe the CREE bulbs will be better.

Pre-facelift 171 OEM Bluetooth. For $600 you get a ten year old system that will only connect one phone at a time. For half the price I got a facelift A20 that had it all in the headunit.

That said I love modding this car almost as much as I do driving it. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Heart-Set on this future mod!

I haven't done this mod yet but I am uhhh..."heart-set" on it even though hubby says he won't ride in the car anymore because he will be too embarrassed!

Even that threat won't stop me from finding & installing those
heart shaped tailpipe tips!!

Sure most...will find this mod...useless but I help mend relationships for a living so it works big time for me!! LOL!
McSLK>:D

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,411 Posts
I haven't done this mod yet but I am uhhh..."heart-set" on it even though hubby says he won't ride in the car anymore because he will be too embarrassed!

Even that threat won't stop me from finding & installing those heart shaped tailpipe tips!!

Sure most...will find this mod...useless but I help mend relationships for a living so it works big time for me!! LOL!
McSLK>:D
But how will you mend the relationship with your hubby once you've done the mod?...

... on second thoughts, please don't tell us! :D

Reactions: Prof Wendy and Col

·
Premium Member-sold my '55
1,384 Posts
Most unnecessary mod eh? You won't like it: the SLK itself! I've driven around two wheelers for 15 years (yes, after I owned a couple of cars) and hired a car when in need. Worked great. But than I started my own firm and money just wasn't an issue anymore ...

But necessary? Nah!

·
Registered
160 Posts
How to mend after

But how will you mend the relationship with your hubby once you've done the mod?...

... on second thoughts, please don't tell us! :D
Hahahaha! Now you know a man who loves a redhead knows he has a romantic at "heart"...I think he'll be more than able to forgive me...although this might take a little longer...:grin:
McSLK

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,030 Posts
...for me, getting the PRND LED's on the shifter to illuminate (they don't in UK cars, but do in US ones ..)

Pointless, I know, but I like a challenge ..!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sean, different colours for each position would be more pointless.....
And an illuminated smiley face on the dash when in sport mode :smile:

·
4,030 Posts
Reactions: 55russamg

·
4,030 Posts
It's an easy one - you just need a few donor parts from a US spec car.

The wiring is already in place for the power feed, the parts are

A) New shift plate indicator assembly (the shiny black bit that you see with PRND on it)
B) The new circuit board underneath (the UK ones only have the backlight)
C) The selector assembly (goes on the side of the shifter, under the cover
D) The short loom to connect A to C

A used US shifter assembly normally has all of those parts (some don't come with the short piece of loom). If it's from a car with only C/S on the button you need to swap over your gearbox mode button top too

...And about half an hour to fit the parts - as per my mods there is a thread on doing it ...

Changing the LED colours is just a case of replacing the red surface mount LED's with ones of a different colour .. (of the same type)

I reverse engineered it first with suitably positioned microswitches under the cover - not the prettiest but it worked until I sourced the extra bit for the selector...

Reactions: 55russamg and Arjen
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.