Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lubricate the mechanism for the vario roof. I know there is an MB product referred to in the manual but I'm sure there is a comparable one at my local parts store. So Im asking, what do all of you use to keep everything in "tip top" shape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Founding Member 2006
108,815 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
On the rubber seals, Gummi appears to be the favourite here. I tried it, but prefer to use silicon grease and apply it with a disposable glove. I think it lasts longer.

I use white lithium grease on the moving parts.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
If you are referring to the mechanical arms and hinges of the vario-roof: I use white lithium grease (from an aerosol can, available at stores like Home Depot). I use the "extension straw" that connects to a small hole on the nozzle: to squirt/spray only a small amount of grease more precisely at the joints. I also use an old rag to "cover" the other side of spray area so I don't spray white lithium grease on the lining or glass, etc. I do this while the roof is in semi-retracted position using "John's broomstick" method.

For the rubber seals: I use the one from MB, identical to Krytox.

On the scissor-like mechanical arms of the boot/trunk lid: I use Mobil 1 0W40 (fresh oil, left-over from oil change) in a small mechanical oil can (the one that has a narrow extended spout) and place 1 drop only at each hinge point, clean off excess with old rag.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.