Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along today when I hear a metallic noise and something has fallen into my footwell from the pedal area :surprise::surprise:

I was on a dual carriageway so after checking that everything was still behaving as expected (i.e. brakes and clutch!) and removing the parts from the footwell, I was able to continue my journey incident free.

It looks, from my Googling, to be the clutch spring. Is this correct? As you can see from the pics, it looks like something has just sheared off, I guess from fatigue.

Given that I had no problems driving without it, I guess my queries are:

1) Is it safe to continue driving or should I seek to get this fixed ASAP? I'm mildly confused as to the point of it, given the clutch works just fine. I didn't even noticed it to feel different TBH.

2) The piece of plastic that is now hanging down - is it OK to remove it, is it the best idea to remove it?

3) If I should fix it, is it a DIY job? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty if I can find the part (and any pointers on where to get said part asides from a scrapyard are welcome).

Thanks in advance :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about rotation, they appeared fine on my computer thanks to EXIF data apparently. Annoying.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
Ask yourself, do Design Engineers spend their days putting redundant stuff in there and then somehow convincing the management Design Review Committee that they must commit the tooling cost and piece cost for it?

Rule 1. Everything is there for a reason.

It is just that the owner may not know that reason.

Looks like you need some New parts for the pedal box. With a failure like that, any used parts are likely to be on the way out too.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I was not getting any replies, I did some hardcore Googling. It seems I can survive without it, as hydraulic pressure returns the clutch to its position, but it will feel a little different and may also potentially have issues with cruise control due to play in the pedal.

I actually found a thread where someone showed pictures almost identical to mine (same shear point!).

What I could use now is some assistance in finding the part. I'm turning up nothing. I guess a scrap yard or Merc dealer are my best bets.

PS many parts can fail that are there for a reason, but are not essential to the actual running of the item. In this case, it seems the part is not essential.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,770 Posts
Russ, getting replies can take time since the right person with an answer needs to be online and see your post.

Sometimes the original post slips from the front page and members cane feel they have been ignored.

You have asked for assistance in finding the part.
Do you mean the part number as well as locating a supplier?

If it's the part number we need your vin and can look it up.
(I'm not the best at this, but if I don't find it I can get one of the guys/gals
who get on with the database better than me to have a look).

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,412 Posts
from your vin

Attachments

·
1,032 Posts
RussT, good point, what is essential to one person is not to another. The Leyland Mini Moke had all the non-essential stuff taken out till there was very little left. The heater in my Triumph has not worked since 1996. It only gets driven in summer anyway. maybe it'll get looked at next year.

Good luck with your clutch. Seems like your research has confirmed this as a weak point. How many kilometers has yours done before failure?

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You folks are great. Thanks for the help finding the parts! That should get me headed in the right direction. Now I will just have to evaluate if it's something I can do myself or just have to throw money at a garage... :)

Pictor ... I'm at roughly 108,000 miles (174000 KM). Some of the posts I found suggested people had the issue within warranty periods, so this seems pretty good ... I'm going to check the history (I have a lot of paperwork from when I bought her) and see if it's been replaced before.

Thanks again

Russ

·
Registered 2005 SLK350-sold
997 Posts
It will not harm the clutch with the return spring missing, but the slight pressure from the pedal may be enough to keep the slave pushing the throw-out bearing. That may cause it to wear out early. You could probably just get a generic throttle return spring and fab it up for a couple dollars.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Pioneer4x4, I will bear that in mind.

Chances are now I'll get it fixed early next year, before summer comes around again. I planned to pop her into a garage and get a few other bits seen to (climate control gas leaks for example) and a few light scratches dealt with. Maybe alloy wheel refurb, too. I'll add this to the list :)

·
1,032 Posts
Russ,
118,000 miles is a bit soon , isn't it? Worth asking the dealer spare parts desk if there was a change to the part number later on. If there were failures in the warranty period it is likely there could have been a redesign, mod, fix for later production and this might tip the balance towards a new dealer part as opposed to a used spare. If there were early failures one would susppect all used parts are going fail too and waste all the effort replacing the part. Let us all know how you go with it,
Cheers
Pictor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.