Mercedes SLK World banner
381 - 400 of 498 Posts
Wonder why they don't list them in main. Many want to dump start/stop.
I think they’re (relatively) recent additions to the functionality (start/stop being even more recent than dipping the mirror)... maybe the marketing info takes a while to catch up with the tech details. ;)

Reactions: Avel Du
Discussion starter · #385 ·
Even the quality and support of the genuine 'Mods4cars' modules might be better as the other brands, the below functions are unique selling points for me:

Did any of the already Smart TOP owners try out these (mirror +ECO) functions?
yes! our r172 users have :D in separate threads if not in this main one

Interesting spot the other day. I was looking to diagnose an issue with my 350 so popped over to a dealer to have a look at a 2012 SLK200. The dealer grabbed the keys, pressed the unlock button and stood there dumfounded as the trunk/boot flipped open and the hood started its thing. He pressed the lock button and it stopped, but he had no idea how to close the now open boot.

Having a smart top myself I suggested 3 taps on the fob - to close, and it closed. I then got in the car and opened the roof with one pull of the centre console switch - no need to hold the button while it did its thing. Alas the car had a smart top that the dealer was unaware of and a potential buyer would be too.

So, some people sell their cars leaving the module in situ. A prospective buyer would not have any idea how to take advantage of the added features. If they did, they'd be getting an inclusive mod for free.

After reading your comments, I wanted to buy SmartTop.
The price in Japan is worth $ 560, which is not good.
Is there a recommended dealer somewhere?
www.mods4cars.com?  
Do you know the magic word of discount?

Discussion starter · #388 ·
After reading your comments, I wanted to buy SmartTop.
The price in Japan is worth $ 560, which is not good.
Is there a recommended dealer somewhere?
www.mods4cars.com?  
Do you know the magic word of discount?

there is no discount buy from mods4cars or

check the approved seller's list

Interesting spot the other day. I was looking to diagnose an issue with my 350 so popped over to a dealer to have a look at a 2012 SLK200. The dealer grabbed the keys, pressed the unlock button and stood there dumfounded as the trunk/boot flipped open and the hood started its thing. He pressed the lock button and it stopped, but he had no idea how to close the now open boot.

Having a smart top myself I suggested 3 taps on the fob - to close, and it closed. I then got in the car and opened the roof with one pull of the centre console switch - no need to hold the button while it did its thing. Alas the car had a smart top that the dealer was unaware of and a potential buyer would be too.

So, some people sell their cars leaving the module in situ. A prospective buyer would not have any idea how to take advantage of the added features. If they did, they'd be getting an inclusive mod for free.
I sold my 2010 SLK350 with the SmartTop module in situ. I took the precaution of disabling the module before I traded it in to prevent injury from any purchaser not being aware it was installed. I did leave a note with the SmartTop instructions on how to operate/enable in the glove box. The car landed up in a dealership in Peterborough and I noticed over a year later that the car appeared to have changed hands for a second time after I had sold it. I noticed an Avatar picture from a New Member as my old car. I highlighted to the member that I previously owned the car and pointed out that it had a SmartTop when I sold it just in case they were unaware. I also offered to answer any questions they had. They congratulated me on the cars condition but never got back to tell me whether they were aware of the SmartTop.

Reactions: jbanks15
Hi.
I have recently installed SmartTop in my car, 2006 year European SLK-350 R171 with left hand drive.
And believe me, due to a manufacturing failure, I have gone mad until I discovered the failure. I publish here it in case someone else happens, and that does not give him a big headache.

After installing everything, following the manuals published by you and by the manufacturer, nothing worked for me.
Red led is off. Green led is off.

The worst thing of all is that when making contact with the key remote control , a thousand errors appeared in the display.
The canbus totally blocked, and the remote control control did not work.

After a thousand tests, and analyzing the motherboard circuit, I realized that the 12 volt power supply cables were confused. Factory exchanged.

Fortunately, the SmarTop module is very well built and it seems that in the design they contemplated this possibility.
In other words, due to a manufacturer failure, the supply polarity of the power source was changing.

I attach a photo so you can see what I'm talking about. The red wire (+ battery) should go up and the brown wire (- battery) should go down. As you can see, they are upside down.

It was to turn them around and SmarTop started up and the canbus lock disappeared.

I opened a help ticket but it didn't help me, since I found the error myself.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #395 ·
I believe we only have 1 other similar incident many years ago. M4C resolved it

I have installed this recently. Very happy. Also automatic mirror in reverse gear works well.
Hi.
I have recently installed SmartTop in my car, 2006 year European SLK-350 R171 with left hand drive.
And believe me, due to a manufacturing failure, I have gone mad until I discovered the failure. I publish here it in case someone else happens, and that does not give him a big headache.

After installing everything, following the manuals published by you and by the manufacturer, nothing worked for me.
Red led is off. Green led is off.

The worst thing of all is that when making contact with the key remote control , a thousand errors appeared in the display.
The canbus totally blocked, and the remote control control did not work.

After a thousand tests, and analyzing the motherboard circuit, I realized that the 12 volt power supply cables were confused. Factory exchanged.

Fortunately, the SmarTop module is very well built and it seems that in the design they contemplated this possibility.
In other words, due to a manufacturer failure, the supply polarity of the power source was changing.

I attach a photo so you can see what I'm talking about. The red wire (+ battery) should go up and the brown wire (- battery) should go down. As you can see, they are upside down.

It was to turn them around and SmarTop started up and the canbus lock disappeared.

I opened a help ticket but it didn't help me, since I found the error myself.
Dear, my installation was also a bit problematic. But in my case I confused the polarity while putting the cables into the socket. I found our forum very helpful as when I was going out of my nerves i found the advice to re-check the cable placement in the sockets.... But finally when done i am really happy about the way it works.

I would like to provide advice.
I think it would be a good idea, that you modify (minimally) the official installation manual, and add the pinout of the SmartTop module.

In this way, any user, even inexperienced users, could realize the error of cables changed at the factory by mistake.
We must understand that users and installers, we only have as a reference the color of the cables and we have to trust only the color.

I realized this error because I have experience (I am a telecommunications engineer) and internally analyzed the circuit for any bad solder, and I noticed, by chance, that the power supply was reversed due to the maker.

Another user with less experience, would not have found the error.

Sorry for my English. I have it a little rusty.

Discussion starter · #398 ·
I would like to provide advice.
I think it would be a good idea, that you modify (minimally) the official installation manual, and add the pinout of the SmartTop module.

In this way, any user, even inexperienced users, could realize the error of cables changed at the factory by mistake.
We must understand that users and installers, we only have as a reference the color of the cables and we have to trust only the color.

I realized this error because I have experience (I am a telecommunications engineer) and internally analyzed the circuit for any bad solder, and I noticed, by chance, that the power supply was reversed due to the maker.

Another user with less experience, would not have found the error.

Sorry for my English. I have it a little rusty.
Good idea...please contact the manufacturer of the SmartTop, Mods4cars, for any input to their official installation manual.
SLKWorld is not authorized, nor has access to their documents/manuals

installed a smart top module to my R172 this morning with no problems and went better than expected, the mirror in reverse is a great help, the guides on the mods4cars website and on here were a great help

Discussion starter · #400 ·
believe it or not, the m4c site has 'borrowed' some of our stuff for their install guides :D

381 - 400 of 498 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.