Mercedes SLK World banner
341 - 360 of 498 Posts
I wasn't planning on getting a SmartTop until the other day the rain started to fall on the way home. I tried to put the top up at the next light, but it turned green and we started to roll. The top wouldn't budge. So two Porsches and I pulled over into the same parking lot and we all did the roof top shuffle.

One Porsche had a manual roof, the other was auto soft-top and I was done and gone before they completed the process, but still I thought how much better it would have been if it would have just done its thing at the light.

So I ordered the SmartTop and this past Sunday I got help from my 13 year old daughter and installed it. The best part was seeing her smile when she felt good about a job well done.

Thanks for the recommendation.
That is why I got mine - was on the way to work (SLK) - thunderstorm - by the time I'd come to a full stop and closed the roof I was pretty wet. People think that the problem is solved in the newer cars but the open/close has to begin while stopped and then you can move. For that reason and all the other advantages I have one in my SL.

Just a PSA (public service announcement) about the smart top for the R172:

There has been a firmware update:

2019-09-12 Improved power save mode - v2.02

Might be worth installing, I will.
:nerd:
Does anyone have any more information on the "Improved power save mode"? It will take me a considerate effort to update the firmware on my R172 as I cannot get a wifi signal in my usual car park.

Discussion starter · #344 ·
Does anyone have any more information on the "Improved power save mode"? It will take me a considerate effort to update the firmware on my R172 as I cannot get a wifi signal in my usual car park.
I asked Sven, owner of Mods4cars...his reply:

Hi Jeff,

We optimized the code and the energy consumption of our SmartTOP module.
The CPU runs now at 25% instead of 100%. This will also reduce the max temperature.

I recently sold the Smart-Top from my now departed 2009 R171 to another member of the forum. During the programming and installation of the unit, he was confronted with what was a deal-breaking issue that I was not aware of prior to the sale. When I was advised of this I immediately offered to return what he had paid for the module. However, before we got to that stage he connected with Mods4Cars and requested assistance. He was contacted by Stefan Wilhelmy from their support section who was able to resolve the issue to the satisfaction of the new owner.

The interesting part of this story is that the module was long out of warranty and he was not the original owner of the smart-top. Notwithstanding all of that, the people at this company took the time to work with this forum member to resolve his issue. To me, that speaks volumes about their integrity and commitment to members of this forum. From time to time members have issues with their Smart-Top whether they are installation issues or programming issues. The advice they always receive from moderators and others is to contact Mods4Cars and they will receive assistance to resolve whatever problem they are experiencing. This is a perfect example of that advice in action.

I have just purchased a new Smart-Top for my R172 and I have complete confidence that any issues I might encounter will be resolved with the help of the people at this company.

Discussion starter · #347 ·
Ken, I have passed your compliment on to Sven and Stefan.

Discussion starter · #348 ·
Reply from Sven - Owner Mods4cars

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for forwarding the great feedback. I will let Stefan know, that his help was appreciated.

Great to hear, thanks!

Discussion starter · #351 ·
Hey! I think I have search and researched but i can not see anywhere whether there is a SmartTOP that works with a 2004 SLK 350 Auto.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Cheers
Thanks Paradox :D

Greyghost...post 1 of this thread

The SmartTOP made by Mods4cars is the greatest mod ever made for the SLK. Available for ALL models (R170,R171,R172)

It is available for R170, R171 and R172 SLK models. Price? about $329

R171:
https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-cl...tall-r171.html

:D

Thank you Jeff and Paradox. I am, so new to this class of car i didn't know my car was the R171. It looks like i will be saving up for this magic little device. NZ$500.

Great info in this forum

Grey Ghost.
The closest local supplier is
www.automotiveintegration.com.au

Easy to deal with, attn to Matt or Jon.

Don't get it sent straight to you from them thou, use a friend in Australia, have it delivered there and have your friend send it to you as a gift.
Otherwise you could have it end up stuck in customs like mine currently is.

Discussion starter · #355 ·
Now that I have my module I have a few questions.

First one is, Do I need to update the firmware?
Second How do I update the firmware?

The number on it is STLBMZ1 - 190529-047
go to their website

it will tell/show you how

see updates

mods4cars Online Shop

did you buy it new? as opposed to a 14 year old version?
new have usb...old do not

Now that I have my module I have a few questions.

First one is, Do I need to update the firmware?
Second How do I update the firmware?

The number on it is STLBMZ1 - 190529-047
Mods4cars website tells all.
Doesn't hurt to check for updates before installing.
Some run a cable behind the dash for future updates.

Not like pc updates, solving glitches etc. This is adding features.

go to their website

it will tell/show you how

see updates

mods4cars Online Shop

did you buy it new? as opposed to a 14 year old version?
new have usb...old do not
I think its new
Under the shipping info from the Australian supplier is the shipping info for Mods4cars dated 18th September.
And it has the USB.
Pic on my Rant thread if you want to see it.

Discussion starter · #358 ·
I think its new
Under the shipping info from the Australian supplier is the shipping info for Mods4cars dated 18th September.
And it has the USB.
Pic on my Rant thread if you want to see it.
I saw it :D See it? you think I don't know about it? :D Hey! I wrote this thread! :D
if it came from m4c i wouldn't worry about firmware or software but you might as well confirm both. It will be better to be comfortable with updating procedure for future features

I saw it :D See it? you think I don't know about it? :D Hey! I wrote this thread! :D
if it came from m4c i wouldn't worry about firmware or software but you might as well confirm both. It will be better to be comfortable with updating procedure for future features
Have to do it tonight, can't install anything on the work machines.

341 - 360 of 498 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.