Mercedes SLK World banner

321 - 340 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking In the Mod4Cars archives I found this manual for the installation and operation of the SmartTop I believe you are considering buying. I cannot quite make out from your picture if it has the 6 terminal connectors. If it is the one the functions and operation are listed at the end of the manual. He surely can confirm what he is selling will do what you want with the windows.

In my honest opinion I would go for the latest Smart Top compatible with your car.

Thank you so much, I does have the 6 pins and I believe it’s this model, I read that it lowers and raises the windows but not sure if I can make all 4 go up, it seams that it doesn’t but it’s not very clear in the description.

My dilemma is that a new unite will cost me 350$+ and would take me a couple of weeks to get (since in I’m in Beirut and would have to get it to Montreal then get it sent here), and this used unit would cost me 140$ installed by this weekend!

Are older models faulty or work good? How important would raising the back windows be for the wind and cold? I don’t have the airscarf :(

I wonder if the car would look nicer with all 4 windows closed! What’s the general consensus? And is smart top the only solution for that?

I’m attaching another picture he sent me..

Thanks again 🙏🏼

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
5,624 Posts
From the manual it only mentions lowering and raising the front windows. There is no mention of the rear windows.

( Function 4 - Remote windows operation ( 0=OFF / *1=ON)
This function allows window operation with the original remote using the RF signal. This works oncars with and without the IR receiver and allows for a much greater range than the close range IR
solution.
• Tap UNLOCK on the remote twice (in 1 sec intervals) to open both front windows completely.
• Tap LOCK on the remote twice (in 1 sec intervals) to close the front windows completely.
Tapping either LOCK or UNLOCK button on the remote will interrupt the operation immediately.)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
the only way to update that older version is to get it connected to a laptop

after contacting m4c's support, they can remote into the laptop/car and do their magic

but as Martin suggested....get a newer updated firmware and software version from m4cs

·
Registered
10 Posts
the only way to update that older version is to get it connected to a laptop

after contacting m4c's support, they can remote into the laptop/car and do their magic

but as Martin suggested....get a newer updated firmware and software version from m4cs

Thank you Jeff! but if that unit doesn’t have USB how can I connect it to a laptop to get them to update it?

·
94,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Thank you Jeff! but if that unit doesn’t have USB how can I connect it to a laptop to get them to update it?
that st u have is at least 15 years old
but surprising, i have the same one
when i moved it from my 350 in 2008 to my 55, m4c had an issue with the windows on fl r171s
they told me they would remote into my car to fix
i said i would rather send it to them
so i assumed that while unit is in place in car, they have you make another connection of some sort through canbus or wherever to communicate with their module. but they wanted me to have a laptop. I am only guessing
you can open a support ticket with them and ask :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
that st u have is at least 15 years old
but surprising, i have the same one
when i moved it from my 350 in 2008 to my 55, m4c had an issue with the windows on fl r171s
they told me they would remote into my car to fix
i said i would rather send it to them
so i assumed that while unit is in place in car, they have you make another connection of some sort through canbus or wherever to communicate with their module. but they wanted me to have a laptop. I am only guessing
you can open a support ticket with them and ask :D

Ok understood! So good to have a forum with experienced users ✌🏼

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where can I find a printable copy of the DIYs ? I have a sharp audio guy that I believe can do it, but I need to show him the instructions to be sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,472 Posts
The instructions can be downloaded and printed from Mods4Cars.

Any diys on any topics covered on SLKWorld are printable, depending on your set up.

·
94,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Where can I find a printable copy of the DIYs ? I have a sharp audio guy that I believe can do it, but I need to show him the instructions to be sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
diy by generation in post 1 of this thread :D

Our DIY:
R170:
https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-class-diy/83202-r170-smarttop-installation-some-videos.html

R171:
https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-class-diy/11142-smarttop-roof-module-install-r171.html

R172:
https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r172-class-diy/22701-installing-r172-version-smarttop-module.html

R172 SLK and SLC from mods4cars:
mods4cars product manual

·
Registered 2007 SLK55 AMG
674 Posts
This is a very long thread so I apologise if I missed the answer to this question.

There is a possibility that the car I got has a SmartTOP because its always possible right, the last guy had no idea what it was when I mentioned it so the one before him might have installed one.
Wishful thinking maybe but worth a shot.
Is there a command that I could use that would test if one is installed, something that is always there?

If I don't have one am I best to buy semi-locally (Australia), or see about buying one through someone on here?

·
94,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
This is a very long thread so I apologise if I missed the answer to this question.

There is a possibility that the car I got has a SmartTOP because its always possible right, the last guy had no idea what it was when I mentioned it so the one before him might have installed one.
Wishful thinking maybe but worth a shot.
Is there a command that I could use that would test if one is installed, something that is always there?

If I don't have one am I best to buy semi-locally (Australia), or see about buying one through someone on here?

If you can get to programming mode, then yes you have the ST

go to the programming section and see if it shows on your display

mods4cars product manual

let me know how that goes

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,472 Posts
Best to look around for a good price, dial in p&p and any taxes.
Whichever is best value.

Best thing I have done to the car.

·
94,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #335

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ok I am fairly sure it is not installed.

Is it best to buy one from here or from Australia?
If the Aussie company will even ship it here.
I got mine from the OZ dealer when I lived there. Price was reasonable - unfortunately cannot remember the name of the dealer but they will be listed on the M4C website.

·
94,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
I got mine from the OZ dealer when I lived there. Price was reasonable - unfortunately cannot remember the name of the dealer but they will be listed on the M4C website.
see my link above your post? :D

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
255 Posts
I wasn't planning on getting a SmartTop until the other day the rain started to fall on the way home. I tried to put the top up at the next light, but it turned green and we started to roll. The top wouldn't budge. So two Porsches and I pulled over into the same parking lot and we all did the roof top shuffle.

One Porsche had a manual roof, the other was auto soft-top and I was done and gone before they completed the process, but still I thought how much better it would have been if it would have just done its thing at the light.

So I ordered the SmartTop and this past Sunday I got help from my 13 year old daughter and installed it. The best part was seeing her smile when she felt good about a job well done.

Thanks for the recommendation.

·
94,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
I wasn't planning on getting a SmartTop until the other day the rain started to fall on the way home. I tried to put the top up at the next light, but it turned green and we started to roll. The top wouldn't budge. So two Porsches and I pulled over into the same parking lot and we all did the roof top shuffle.

One Porsche had a manual roof, the other was auto soft-top and I was done and gone before they completed the process, but still I thought how much better it would have been if it would have just done its thing at the light.

So I ordered the SmartTop and this past Sunday I got help from my 13 year old daughter and installed it. The best part was seeing her smile when she felt good about a job well done.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Great! take the survey in link in post 1 :D

321 - 340 of 374 Posts