Mercedes SLK World banner

What is this SmartTOP all the members keep talking about?

148K views 497 replies 130 participants last post by  Avel Du 
#1 · (Edited)
A new member asked me so I wrote this primer.

Tired of holding that inside vario roof button for 22 seconds (20 - 26 depending on model)?
Tired of standing outside your car with your keyfob/smartkey pointed at your door handle for 22 seconds looking like an idiot while the roof cycles?

Watch this first, it's short!:

The SmartTOP made by Mods4cars is the greatest mod ever made for the SLK. Available for ALL models (R170,R171,R172)

The features below based on what version of SLK you have:

One-Touch power convertible top
"One-Touch" convertible top operation allows your top to open or close automatically.
Open/Close the top while driving
Never have to stop again for your top: Open/Close your top while driving
(CLK 40km/h, SLK/SLC/SL 60km/h).
Top convenience mode
Turning the ignition on or off does not interrupt convertible top operation.
Remote control of convertible top
Open/Close your convertible top using the original factory remote control key / key fob.
Separate window control
Raise and lower the windows separately by remote without activating the top.
Window positions
Window positions (up/down) after top opening programmable.
Full RF Range
Top and window operation possible from the full distance (uncapped RF range of the factory key fob).
Comfort window open/close
One-Touch opening/closing of all windows via quick double tap on the top switch.
Full Rear Window control
Raise rear windows with top down.
Keyless top control*
One-touch top operation via keyless door handle.
*Keyless entry option required.
Hazard Signals
Optionally the blinkers are activated while top is operated from the remote.
Home Light
Remotely activate the front and tail lights.
Automatic door locks
Set power locks to automatically lock and unlock the doors when you drive.
Chirp-signal function
Short audible signals when locking and/or unlocking the car.
Comfort Wipers
After using the sprayer, activates the wipers 1x or 2x after short delay.
Mirror Park Assist (SLK)
This feature can automatically dip down the passenger mirror in reverse gear.
Lock Running Car
Lock and unlock the running car by remote (Keyless Required).
Full text setup in car display
Configure functions of the module to meet your personal preferences via our full text setup menu.
Passive Mode
Turn the module off with a quick key sequence when unaltered factory operation is desired.
Valet Mode
Lock the top in the closed position with a quick key sequence when needed.
Reversible plug-in installation
Remove any time allowing sale or return of a leased vehicle in its original condition.
Plug-n-Play Wiring harness
Custom designed plug-in-between wiring harness for extremely simple and quick installation included.
USB Port for easy setup / updates
This module can be configured and updated using any Mac or PC.
Remote Control - Open and close your convertible top using the original factory remote control key/key fob up to 300 feet away. Uses RF (radio frequency) NOT IR (infrared radiation) energy

among others.

It is available for R170, R171 and R172 SLK models.
Price?
R170 - $359 R171/R172 - $379

It is made and sold by mods4cars from their website (mods4cars.com) and can also be found on ebay, Amazon, and affiliated resellers on mods4cars website.

mods4cars website:
mods4cars Online Shop

Our DIY:
R170:
R170 SmartTOP Installation With Some videos

R171:
SmartTop Roof module Install for the R171

R171:
From member MGUY.. Programming with an aftermarket headunit
How to program the SmartTop module when you have an aftermarket head unit - it's a bit like learning Morse code.

R172:
Installing the R172 version of the SmartTop Module

R172 SLK and SLC from mods4cars:
mods4cars product manual

Range of SmartTOP:
Guess how far is the range of rf in this picture?

SmartTOP Install Poll (How easy was it?):

FYI: If you buy from any other place but Mods4cars/Authorized reseller, you might be getting a version that might not be new or the firmware might not be the latest. Check SmartTOP version/update before you buy.

See less See more
#12 ·
We might have to wait a while until the rain passes over!

#6 ·
"The Smarttop made by Mods4cars is the greatest mod ever made for the SLK." ... JB

"I don't think you realise how primitive the stock roof control is until you get one." ... RB

"the Smart Top is SO Smart" ... S

"the way to go!" ... M

"really got no excuse at all." ... D

OK OK Guys! I can take a hint! I'll fit mine this time home ...... hopefully :)

#8 ·
Hi all
@ Davie Are you sure mate this smarttop thing is very new to the market , It may be just a flash in the pan you know the sort of thing today hot new upgrade & tomorrow its use a door wedge , I would sit on it for a few years & check the feed back .

p.s. Mine told me to sell $$$ & buy ÂŁÂŁÂŁ :rb

Cheers

Andy
Mines been sat on the table at home for the last couple of months due to work commitments. I figure it's been sat idle long enough.

Mind you, if it's that smart it would have fitted itself! :D

Perhaps I'll wait another week just in case ......

The last time I wired anything up, it was a dip switch on a Bonneville and

I managed to set the wiring harness alight! :eek:

#13 ·
This is lost on me. Being able to raise of lower the roof from afar is just a pose. Do that as you leave a pub will have everybody laughing, not admiring. I can already have the horn beeping when I lock the car, but have deactivated it as it's just annoying. Cannot for the life of me understand why having hazards going or being able to raise and lowers the windows separately is of any consequence. Just gimmicks for computer nerds, BUT agree being able to close roof whilst moving does avoid getting sopping wet if you leave it too late or cannot find a place to park-up quick enough.

#14 ·
Sounds like you and/or your fellow pub-goers care far too much about what other people think.

It can be quite handy in saving a bit of time having the roof lower as you get to the car, or raise when you're out of the car. Typical British example - car parked outside with roof down as it was sunny one minute, then it starts to rain. Three quick button-presses later and I've close the roof, whilst still inside the house. I don't use it very often - but it's there if I want to. Never once used it to "pose".

The most useful things for me are the single button pull/push to lower/raise the roof, and being able to raise lower whilst moving. Those alone were worth the asking price for me.

#15 ·
unless u like standing outside holding your keyfob button for 22 seconds making sure you are within the ir range and aiming it perfectly at that little bitty square in the door handle while people look at you like 'what is that guy doing' instead of 3 clicks to open or close from a distance? or just one touch on the inside roof bottom instead of holding it through the whole cycle? Your choice

#16 ·
Being able to raise the quarter-lights with the main windows is handy too. As is being able to open and close the windows from the remote.

The blokes at my local kinda like my ability to get the roof down as I walk up to the car. You need to find a better pub oldmercman! :)

#17 ·
I was on the fence for over a year about getting a SmartTop. Should I or shouldn't I? That was the question. I saw a forum member on here the other day selling his for a great price so I decided to take the plunge. I should get my SmartTop within the next few days. It probably is indeed the best mod currently available for the SLK!

#19 ·
#21 ·
Deep breath Lew! Read read read and good luck!!!

#22 ·
Be systematic and methodical. Take your time, never rush.
Draw power from the fuse box, do not tap power by trying to find the "correct" red wire. Double check connections of the CANBUS plugs with good light source.

Reactions: LewSLK
#23 ·
Thanks!

I am talking with the guy that tinted my windows and has done some other work on my SLK. He and his guys do impressive work. Give me a computer and a classroom and I have no fears, but when it comes to my car I feel very, very inept about these kinds of things.

#24 ·
just give them the diy for the install ahead of time to review

#26 ·
print out the programming functions also

#28 ·
yes, without the programming to tell the smarttop what to do, to even work, you are lost.

#30 ·
what top speed did u program Lew?

#33 ·
I would say yes. it will beep at u before you know it. I have mine at 32. max is 38

#35 ·
well the good news is based on your latest version, you can start the procedure, open or close at less than you had programmed and then go above the set limit and no beep and it will continue to finish the operation selected.

my older version will beep if the top limit is reached and NOT complete the requested procedure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.