Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
441 - 460 of 463 Posts

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
41,472 Posts
Been using mine on the move for years. No issues.
But, as said, I am cautious of the road surface and whether it is windy (particularly gusts).

Like all things mechanical, look after them and they look after you.

Why not an MB option? Well, the safety issue mentioned above plus the MB option would likely add a couple of thousand to the price.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK200
48 Posts
Thanks for your input guys! The legal issue is an interesting one, but at the same they, they do allow roof operation while moving on the more recent SLC models, no? That is what led me to believe the reason was "mechanical".

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #444 ·
Interesting point. Does the roof have any kind of safety ‘stop/reverse’ facility if fouled during operation?
no... gravity will do its job when power is lost during top operation

When operation is interrupted before reaching fully open or closed position, the Vario Roof will only hold its position temporarily: • for 7 minutes if ignition is ON • for 15 seconds if ignition is switched OFF! (15 second rule also applies when operating via infrared remote) (audible warning is heard before pressure is released and gravity takes over)

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 ·
Len! why are you not pushing our install? post 1 of this thread btw

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·
That training guide is great
is there something similar for the R172?
thanks

Post 1 of this thread? :D

·
*Registered
2020 SLC200
64 Posts
I have installed using the guide.
I thought that the training guide for the 171 was very informative regarding the operation of the roof. Would like to see the 172 equivalent if such thing exists.

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #450 ·
oh you mean the TRAINING guide....sorry, does not exist to our knowledge
as the roof for r171 and r172 and even the r170 parts and function are all the same/similar

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
600 Posts
Ok I’ve been converted and had one installed..

Now to figure out how to set it to do what I want...I seem to have ended up in valet mode meaning no roof opening...

Probably a coincidence but the alarm sounded for the first time while the car was parked quietly on the drive...with no obvious cause...

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 ·
don't forget max speed setting :D

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
600 Posts
Does this bit mean xx taps within 1 second or a second between each tap?

Top operation with the remote fob using TAPS:
• Tap unlock 3x in 1 sec intervals: Open the top and bring the windows into the programmed position.
• Tap unlock 4x in 1 sec intervals: Open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time.
• Tap lock 3x in 1 sec intervals: Close top and windows.
• Tap lock 4x in 1 sec intervals: Close only the top while leaving the windows down.
• Tap unlock 3x in 1 sec intervals: Close top and windows. (Alternate operation)
• Tap unlock 4x in 1 sec intervals: Close only the top while leaving the windows down. (Alternate operation)

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #456 ·
tap pause tap pause tap for 3x

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 ·
no but you should check n see why your range is bad
antenna might be loose in fender wheel well

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
152 Posts
The most common go to for poor range in your remote is change the remote battery with an expensive new fresh one, don't use cheap battery! A good expensive battery will last about 3 years with Smarttop use so don't be a tight ass, it's worth it, trust me!

441 - 460 of 463 Posts