Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
421 - 440 of 463 Posts

·
*Registered
2016 SLK55 AMG
121 Posts
we do. would you? :D

Its features:

Remote Control - Open and close your convertible top using the original factory remote control key/key fob up to 300 feet away.
Full Text Set Up/Display - Configure functions to meet your personal preferences via our full text setup menu.
Chirp Signal Function - When locking and unlocking the car, if desired the horn sounds briefly.
Comfort Window Open/Close - One touch opening/closing of all windows via quick double tap on the top switch.
Home Light - remotely activate the headlights for 30 seconds.
Open/Close While Driving - Speed programmable up to 38 mph you can open and close your top while moving or driving.
Passive/Invisible Mode - Turn the whole module off with an easy key sequence.

Separate Window Control - Raise and lower the windows separately by remote without activating the top.
Hazard Signals - Optionally the hazard and blinkers are activated while the top is operated from the remote.
USB Port - This module can be updated using any Windows PC/Laptop with internet connection.
One Touch Operation - 'One Touch' convertible top operation allows your top to open or close automatically with one touch of a button.
Reversible Plug Installation - Remove any time allowing sale or return of a leased vehicle in its original condition.
Top Convenience Mode - Turning the ignition on or off does not interrupt convertible top operation.
Automatic Door Locks - Set power locks to automatically lock and unlock the doors when you drive.

among others.
A new member asked me so I wrote this primer.

Tired of holding that inside vario roof button for 22 seconds (20 - 26 depending on model)?
Tired of standing outside your car with your keyfob/smartkey pointed at your door handle for 22 seconds looking like an idiot while the roof cycles?

Watch this first, it's short!:

The SmartTOP made by Mods4cars is the greatest mod ever made for the SLK. Available for ALL models (R170,R171,R172)

Its features:

Remote Control - Open and close your convertible top using the original factory remote control key/key fob up to 300 feet away. Uses RF (radio frequency) NOT IR (infrared radiation) energy
Full Text Set Up/Display - Configure functions to meet your personal preferences via our full text setup menu.
Chirp Signal Function - When locking and unlocking the car, if desired the horn sounds briefly.
Comfort Window Open/Close - One touch opening/closing of all windows via quick double tap on the top switch.
Home Light - remotely activate the headlights for 30 seconds.
Open/Close While Driving - Speed programmable up to 38 mph you can open and close your top while moving or driving.
Passive/Invisible Mode - Turn the whole module off with an easy key sequence.

Separate Window Control - Raise and lower the windows separately by remote without activating the top.
Hazard Signals - Optionally the hazard and blinkers are activated while the top is operated from the remote.
USB Port - This module can be updated using any Windows PC/Laptop with internet connection.
One Touch Operation - 'One Touch' convertible top operation allows your top to open or close automatically with one touch of a button.
Reversible Plug Installation - Remove any time allowing sale or return of a leased vehicle in its original condition.
Top Convenience Mode - Turning the ignition on or off does not interrupt convertible top operation.
Automatic Door Locks - Set power locks to automatically lock and unlock the doors when you drive.
R172 - Drive mode memory added

among others.

It is available for R170, R171 and R172 SLK models. Price? about $329

It is made and sold by mods4cars from their website (mods4cars.com) and can also be found on ebay, Amazon, and affiliated resellers on mods4cars website.

mods4cars website:
mods4cars Online Shop

Our DIY:
R170:
R170 SmartTOP Installation With Some videos

R171:
SmartTop Roof module Install for the R171

R172:
Installing the R172 version of the SmartTop Module

R172 SLK and SLC from mods4cars:
mods4cars product manual

Range of SmartTOP:
Guess how far is the range of rf in this picture?

SmartTOP Install Poll (How easy was it?):
Was your self installed Smarttop successful or not?

FYI: If you buy from any other place but Mods4cars/Authorized reseller, you might be getting a version that might not be new or the firmware might not be the latest. Check SmartTOP version/update before you buy.
I like the idea of being able to close the roof at speeds up to 38mph. Makes me wonder why MB programmed it to close only at a crawl (even on the later SLC). I assumed it was because of stress on the roof mechanism at higher speeds- especially when closing into a strong headwind?

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #422 ·
I like the idea of being able to close the roof at speeds up to 38mph. Makes me wonder why MB programmed it to close only at a crawl (even on the later SLC). I assumed it was because of stress on the roof mechanism at higher speeds- especially when closing into a strong headwind?
Legal protection....time to get one's head out of ........
and don't try it in strong winds or going across rail road tracks :D

·
* Premium Member 2012 SLK350 From Lakeland, FLA
39 Posts
I just installed the Smart Top on my 2012 slk 350. The directions on the website are pretty good. Install was a breeze EXCEPT it is very tight installing the new wire harness! Works like a charm! I also installed sound deadening material (pretty heavy!) while I had it apart. It made a noticeable difference

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,499 Posts
Mercedes have to allow for owners who have "Zero" common sense...!!

Where the the Smart Top comes into it's own, is when You stop at the lights and think need to put the roof up or down.
Except the lights turn green... With out a Smart Top just have stay where You are and annoy the people behind You while the roof finishes it's cycle...

But with a Smart Top, You can start moving away slowly and once the roof has landed (so to speak) can speed up to the set speed while the boot/trunk and windows finish the sequence. So "Yes" set the Smart Top speed at 38mph, just be very mindful driving at speed while the un-surported roof is mid position... (y)

·
* Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
67 Posts
Had Smart Top fitted today by my local garage. (I’m not allowed near tools, matches or sharp objects.) Once installed I plugged in a laptop and set my preferences. Tested everything except opening on the move (51kph) owing to the pouring rain. Picked my wife up from the station later and the rain had stopped. The one-touch opening was impeccable. My wife, however, was less than impressed as it was very cold, even with the neckscarf on full!

Can I just say, wow! What a great bit of kit.

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #427 ·
Features Updated 3/11/21 post 1

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #429 ·
there is no new update. I updated post 1 with all the options/features the SmartTop offers :D

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK280
216 Posts
As for "new" features on this wonderful device, I admit I haven't strolled back through 21 pages of this thread but the new feature I enjoy, that @jbanks15 didn't seem to add in the latest post I saw, was the ability to activate the DRL lights in the Spyder headlight unit I added a couple years ago. Stefan saw to it that the update considered the DRL in the Spyder as parking lights for full-time activation. Nice update to the '07 but now I want to replace the high/low beams with LED. Always something but the SLK love affair continues.

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #434 ·
take the survey :D

·
* Registered
Slk 172 amg cdi 2012 250
8 Posts
Hi I have just fitted the smart top from mods for cars to my slk172 2012 250 d so easy to fit little expensive but wow how good plug and play if you can read you can fit it. Worth it to put rear windows up stops wind whipping round. Plugged it in works straight out of box instructions on line could not be simpler.

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 ·
Take the survey! See link in post 1

·
*Registered
2014 SLK200
48 Posts
Hey, I'm assuming this has been discussed already (probably multiple times :S) but having read tons of SmartTop info here, I don't think I've came across this question. I'm not really that interested in being able to open/close the roof with the key fob, but the ability to operate the roof while moving at slow speeds seems really useful.

So my question is, isn't there a reason why Mercedes didn't allow this originally? I'm assuming that even at like 30km/h (20-ish mph, I think), when the trunk opens, it basically acts as a massive air brake, and I would imagine the wind resistance would put a lot of pressure on the entire mechanism. What is your view on this?

·
Founding Member 2006
112,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #440 ·
Plus the legal question of heads and arms being injured comes into play

421 - 440 of 463 Posts