Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was in for service 2 days ago. Got it back and CPS seems to have failed. After pulling off the plastic engine cover / air box, I noticed this laying on the radiator support near the main hood latch. I didn't hear anything drop and it doesn't seem to belong to any part of the air box.

Anyone have any ideas what this is? It's a metal rod inserted <1 inch into a rubber tube. The far ends are each cut square so it doesn't look broken but the rubber tube where the rod is inserted is not cut even. Is this a makeshift tool the dealer used for some purpose and can be thrown away?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts
Until you get a reply
I would have went straight back to the dealer and asked them
maybe get something 'free' for your trouble

i once came back from the dealer service and had a big wrench sitting on my windshield cowling

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes! That's like mechanic 101 - never set down tools around the engine bay (at least that's what I was taught). Pssh... nothing free from my dealer. I will drop by Monday and ask anyway. Also discuss the coincidental fail to start issue after they had their paws on it. (The area by the CPS doesn't look recently touched but it doesn't leave a good feeling when stuff breaks 20 miles out the service bay when everything was fine before it went in.)

·
96,379 Posts
I searched EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog) for your 'part' with no luck
i searched the CPS area and the radiator and engine cover areas

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,048 Posts
That looks like a vacuum rubber hose pipe with poss a brake pipe inserted inside .

A tool temp made by fitter to test diaghrams or by pass items etc
And left behind .......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agree. It looks like a vacuum line that someone either blocked on purpose and it fell off, or that the tech used to test a vacuum point and left on the engine. Look around for a vacuum "nipple" on a component nearby, or another vacuum line that is unattached, and that should point you in the right direction.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,048 Posts
Until you get a reply
I would have went straight back to the dealer and asked them
maybe get something 'free' for your trouble

i once came back from the dealer service and had a big wrench sitting on my windshield cowling
Was the wrench a good looking lass ?
I would of not returned her and kept her ;)

>:D

·
96,379 Posts
wrench! not wench, you pirate!

·
96,379 Posts

·
96,379 Posts
what code did you get when CPS failed if any?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.