Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member 2011 SLK200
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the right torque (Newtonmeter) to tighten 18 inch AMG alu rims on R172? There is nothing about this in the manual of the car, and I have purchased torque rods I can use and want to do it correctly after the "book". I did not find anything about this when trying to search the forum, but I may use the wrong keywords. I've heard everything from 90 Nm to 130 Nm. Is there anyone who knows?

·
Premium Member 2011 SLK200
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it is 130nm for all R172
So nice you had an answer to this. Thank you very much. Do you follow this 130 Nm recommendation on your own car? I have the impression that many are not as careful about it as long as the wheels are hanging on. I'm most worried about tightening too hard and destroying the alloy wheels.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
6,156 Posts
So nice you had an answer to this. Thank you very much. Do you follow this 130 Nm recommendation on your own car? I have the impression that many are not as careful about it as long as the wheels are hanging on. I'm most worried about tightening too hard and destroying the alloy wheels.
I regularly take the wheels off to properly clean the alloys on the parts difficult to reach. The tightening torque is 130 Nm as quoted in the user manual which I use on my own car.

·
Registered 2012 SLK250 CDI
212 Posts
Yes I do, was surprised it was higher than previous Mercedes I have owned, the figure was confirmed by my local independent service agent.
Have to say that it does make them more difficult to remove, the first time was a real struggle to remove but easier the 2nd time after I got a long breaker bar!

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,129 Posts
Difficult? Not really. My RT is 110lb (131nm is 96 ft lb). Eat your wheaties ? Seriously, if you need to use a long bar to get them off, I would say they were put on too tight to begin with.

·
212 Posts
Difficult? Not really. My RT is 110lb (131nm is 96 ft lb). Eat your wheaties ? Seriously, if you need to use a long bar to get them off, I would say they were put on too tight to begin with.
Sadly being of advanced years all the things which were once easy become a little bit harder each year!
The removal tool supplied with the car is too short for the job for me, getting something twice the length made it a lot easier.

·
13,129 Posts
I guess advanced years can mean anything. I assumed (there's that word ? ) because you were changing your own tires that you were able to do this activity with no issues. I am collecting old age security so I'm no spring chicken either.

OTOH, those dinky tools they include with our cars should really be left out from day 1 as they are usually inadequate for the job.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
6,156 Posts
If the wheels have not been off for a lengthy period the lug nuts even if they are tightened to the correct torque are harder to undo because of corrosion caused by water, salt etc. I use an extendable breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts.

·
212 Posts
I guess advanced years can mean anything. I assumed (there's that word ? ) because you were changing your own tires that you were able to do this activity with no issues. I am collecting old age security so I'm no spring chicken either.

OTOH, those dinky tools they include with our cars should really be left out from day 1 as they are usually inadequate for the job.
Guess I am doing it because I won't give in to the thought that I cannot do it! ;)
I enjoy doing as much as I can myself on the car, good sense of satisfaction at a job done well....

·
13,129 Posts
Guess I am doing it because I won't give in to the thought that I cannot do it! ;)
I enjoy doing as much as I can myself on the car, good sense of satisfaction at a job done well....
And with all the electronics, there is very little a backyard fixer (like me) can do except oil and filter changes and the odd tire rotation when required (not on my '55 but the other ones)

Violating our own rules-->lets get back on topic. Which has been answered above (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts