Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See attached. I found this part laying beside the battery when I got my car a couple of months ago. I reinstalled it where it looks like it goes, but found it laying beside the battery again today. The part number on it is 000 541 00 63 and it does not come up in the parts data base. However, in the EPC there is what looks like the same part and it is number 001 541 01 63. It is called a dash pot. It has no visible purpose from what I can see. It does have a plastic pin molded into it that certainly looks like it fits into the hole in the battery case, but for what purpose?

Len

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think it's for when you battery would start boiling to lead the battery acid away from the battery. And to make certain that the pressure of the battery can escape. And that the exit point isn't covert up.

You can attach a hose to the battery that is long enough to lead the acid to under side of the car on to the road.

·
Registered
186 Posts
There should be a hole near the positive terminal you can stick this in. It then covers the positive terminal, so you don't accidentally drop a wrench or something like that on it and short it out.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There should be a hole near the positive terminal you can stick this in. It then covers the positive terminal, so you don't accidentally drop a wrench or something like that on it and short it out.

Cheers!

Dang
Nope, that's not it. The battery has a red cover over the positive terminal.

Len

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a vent, if your going to mess with it wear gloves or the acid will burn.
That would be correct. Here is an exchange I had with a parts manager:
It is uses them both thing. The 002-997-24-86 is a plug to block off the hole on the opposite side. Other cars use in place of the container an elbow and tube to remove the vapor/fluid away from the area. The tank should fit snug.

Ken

It doesn't stay in place. It keeps falling out. From the EPC it appears that there is a small stop plug that should be there too, part #002 997 24 86. Does it belong there along with the other part or is it an either/or kind of thing?

Len
-----Original Message-----

It’s a battery acid vent/overflow container. Keeps the acid contained rather than getting on your car.

Ken

Ken - See attached. I found this part laying beside the battery when I got my car a couple of months ago. I reinstalled it where it looks like it goes, but found it laying beside the battery again today. The part number on it is 000 541 00 63 and it does not come up in the parts data base. However, in the EPC there is what looks like the same part and it is number 001 541 01 63. It is called a dash pot. It has no visible purpose from what I can see. It does have a plastic pin molded into it that certainly looks like it fits into the hole in the battery case, but for what purpose?

Len

·
Registered 2001 SLK230
41 Posts
See attached. I found this part laying beside the battery when I got my car a couple of months ago. I reinstalled it where it looks like it goes, but found it laying beside the battery again today. The part number on it is 000 541 00 63 and it does not come up in the parts data base. However, in the EPC there is what looks like the same part and it is number 001 541 01 63. It is called a dash pot. It has no visible purpose from what I can see. It does have a plastic pin molded into it that certainly looks like it fits into the hole in the battery case, but for what purpose?

Len
Good thing this post was still here. It was the only hit I got on Google putting in Mercedes plus the part number. I found it wedged down below the front of the battery. It's probably been there for years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.