Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a R171 and am reading the manual. I am interested in determining what the purpose of the standing lamps are? I was told it was to preventing people from hitting your car, badging, defacing or stealing from it and can be left on all day/night.

If so, which way would be best to let it face since you can only choose one. Towards the pavement or towards the street?

- Havok

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I call them parking lamps. When you park on the street at night, you can turn on the parking lights on the road side of the car, be it left or right side. The owners manual for the R170 calls them "standing lamps".

The first time I saw this light function was in the 1960's on a Mercedes.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Well, here in Germany, they're used at night so cars passing by can see where your car begins and the available road to drive on ends. That being said, you want to light up which ever side of the vehicle is hanging out in the street.

D

·
0 Posts
That's what i have used them for on various MB's, i think they shut off when the voltage gets too low but I've never had to find that out and i would not want to leave them on all night.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, so when I get my car in a few days - I'll try them out to be used on the road-side when I am out at night.

- Havok

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I've never used them intentionally :) I did however mess with the headlight knob one time and got into that position thinking the lights were off. I got out of the car and couldn't figure out why only one parking lamp was on. I thought, what the hell? Finally, after about 10 minutes, I realized what had happened and promptly put the dial back in "Auto" :biglaugh:Last time I mess with that manual stuff!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.