Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
6,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not asking for anybody to admit to exceeding the speed limit on a public road. What I am trying to find out is if the car is capable of being driven safely with the top down at 155mph which my car and most SLK's are electronically limited to (eg. on the Autobahn, Airfield Runway ,Track , Private Road) and what are the issues?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,275 Posts
I did 180 but with top up....sorry Martin...Just like to gloat :D

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
845 Posts
I’m not sure what speed we hit at Rockingham ... but is sure was fast and we all had the tops down :smile:

On the continent I’ve been well over the ton (with windows up and OEM wind-stop in place) and it was very smooth. It’s never been the car that stops me going faster ... it’s my self preservation switch:wink:

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,600 Posts
One problem of going over 130mph, top down is not so easy to here one's music....!!
I did 180 but with top up....sorry Martin...Just like to gloat :D
Need proof, or don't count....!!! >:D
(But only advisable for Germany, or off road speed runs)

Here is a tad under 130mph, top down while returning through Germany.. >R
YouTube: https://youtu.be/7-YUgsc6e4c

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
901 Posts
Hey John

It’s a 2003 car with 88K miles, worth about £9K at U.K. prices currently.....bit of a bargain, maybe you should test drive one?

TonyS
We have a very small garage, hence the 2012 SLK, WE ALSO HAD A 2010 Jag XF but it was always nerve tweaking to park it next to the Merc with only a couple of inches clearance...so traded it in on a silver with cranberry interior 2018 C300...now they both fit well...no changes planned...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,697 Posts
I am not asking for anybody to admit to exceeding the speed limit on a public road. What I am trying to find out is if the car is capable of being driven safely with the top down at 155mph which my car and most SLK's are electronically limited to (eg. on the Autobahn, Airfield Runway ,Track , Private Road) and what are the issues?
Yes, and FWIW, much more stable top up or down at those sorts of speeds than my beloved 928S4. That certainly got a bit light at the front end at 1xxmph. What are you planning Martin? Last time I went past you on the M25 you were being extremely responsible at perhaps 77mph. Going abroad?? :wink:

·
96,275 Posts
One problem of going over 130mph, top down is not so easy to here one's music....!!

Need proof, or don't count....!!! >:D
(But only advisable for Germany, or off road speed runs)

Here is a tad under 130mph, top down while returning through Germany.. >R
YouTube: https://youtu.be/7-YUgsc6e4c
That was before my dash cam but here is authoritative proof from State of Florida of my exceeding the speed limit :D

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just about every car I have ever owned I had maxed out at one time, or another. Many years ago "we" got onto the M42 (before it opened - not even the lane markings in place) and blasted up and down and had a wonderful time. There's an airfield not too far from me that owes me some tyres as well.

Now days its somewhat different, I've my favorite bits of road and when conditions permit I have a little fun but generally not for long. I may make faster progress than average but I like to keep my distance, I don't like company on the road. So top down not so fast, primary reason that would be on A-road not motorway, (no motorways in Cornwall you know) and top up, well lets just say I haven't maxed it out, not even close - and don't really feel the need to. I didn't really buy the car for its top speed, but more for its acceleration and handling.

On the subject of going fast. I used to travel up the Country to my parents on Christmas Eve (it just worked out like that). Now I wasn't hanging about, but my God cars would come past me at some speed. These were the days of XJ12's and XJS's, the odd Porsch and the big Merc's of course. The big saloons would kind of float at the rear, going far to fast for their soft suspension (probably around 150mph). You would see a wisp of blue from the exhaust as well, in the few seconds you had before they disappeared into the distance.

These day I wonder if you drove like that how many speeding tickets you could pick up between here and the Midlands - times have changed :)

·
96,275 Posts
Just about every car I have ever owned I had maxed out at one time, or another. Many years ago "we" got onto the M42 (before it opened - not even the lane markings in place) and blasted up and down and had a wonderful time. There's an airfield not too far from me that owes me some tyres as well.

Now days its somewhat different, I've my favorite bits of road and when conditions permit I have a little fun but generally not for long. I may make faster progress than average but I like to keep my distance, I don't like company on the road. So top down not so fast, primary reason that would be on A-road not motorway, (no motorways in Cornwall you know) and top up, well lets just say I haven't maxed it out, not even close - and don't really feel the need to. I didn't really buy the car for its top speed, but more for its acceleration and handling.

On the subject of going fast. I used to travel up the Country to my parents on Christmas Eve (it just worked out like that). Now I wasn't hanging about, but my God cars would come past me at some speed. These were the days of XJ12's and XJS's, the odd Porsch and the big Merc's of course. The big saloons would kind of float at the rear, going far to fast for their soft suspension (probably around 150mph). You would see a wisp of blue from the exhaust as well, in the few seconds you had before they disappeared into the distance.

These day I wonder if you drove like that how many speeding tickets you could pick up between here and the Midlands - times have changed :)
but you did not answer his question :D how fast with top down in slk

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Got in a good-natured race with a Z4 somewhere in Europe where speeding is definitely frowned upon, we were going at 115-120 top-down on a nice day with light tailwind. It's never going to be as isolated as a bigger GT car (R230 and R321 SLs are much more civilised if you just want to waft along) but you can cruise at 70-80ish all day with the roof down, weather permitting. One thing I notice is the OEM perspex wind deflector tends to shake quite a bit above about 90mph- not sure what it's rated at but you might want to change out for the fabric version if you wanna hit V-max :grin:

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,600 Posts
One thing I notice is the OEM perspex wind deflector tends to shake quite a bit above about 90mph- not sure what it's rated at but you might want to change out for the fabric version if you wanna hit V-max :grin:
Well, when We visited the Porsche factory a few years back, they said that there cars where designed to be driven flat out across Germany (so 155mph) with out problems....

So guess SLK's would have the same design brief - Including the OEM Wind Deflector....? No where in the manual have I read not to drive top down above a certain value...??

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
617 Posts
I’d be interested to find out. Haven’t had a speed run with my new one yet but hit 120 and a bit in the 230 still with plenty of give on the accelerator - it wasn’t the kind of day for top down and the road felt a little uneasy so I left off it a bit.

Autobahn is calling. ?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts