Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just refurbished wheels.
It was a challenge to get the spare wheel out. Harder still to get the deflated 16 inch wheel back in.

STUPID QUESTION that I thought about after struggling to put spare away.

If I get a rear tyre (245/35/18) puncture.
Space saver tyre goes on car
Where does the punctured tyre go?

I would assume there is not enough space where the space where space saver came out from?

Have just tried to gauge with a tape measure, and it does not look as if an inflated tyre would fit. Would a deflated punctured wheel/tyre (245/35/18) fit in main/luggage part of boot?

Do you carry the space saver wheel in your car?

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
221 Posts
That's what that handy plastic bag is for that came in your boot!(Trunk) Damaged tyre in and on the passenger seat! Don't forget to put its seat belt on!!!

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I calculated on a 171 that if you take the polystyrene toll holder out you might just get it in upright is as long as the roof divider is open ( Not tried it though )

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I am not going to take a wheel off to check but I measured from the bottom of the wheel well and I reckon a 25 inch wheel and tyre will just about stand in the well even if you had to tie the boot lid down No way would I carry a wheel in the car. Apart from the damage to the seat it would be downright dangerous. At 25 inches diameter it would be too wide to fit across the seat lying down.

You could always carry the things I do. Up under where the divider goes is a shelf. I have two foam portable roof pads. My idea would be to strap them across the boot lid and strap the punctured wheel to them. same as if you had a boot rack. As long as the boot was closed it wouldnt put any strain on the roof mechanism, but I wouldnt recommend trying to open the boot or the roof while the wheel was on it

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Manny - am sure that you have given the correct answer, but I'm not gangster enough to have bodies in my boot/trunk.
But thanks you made me laugh with your reply.

Like JonB am uncomfortable about having wheel on passenger seat.

JonB - will take spare out, and measure to see if your suggestion works.
As that sounds like a good idea.

Otherwise, may have to think about relying on RAC breakdown recovery.

But also interested in finding out about DIY roadside repairs -

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,133 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you place the spare tire on the car, there is enough room to put the flat tire in the trunk ( remove the shelf), close the protective cover, and lower the roof.

Yep, I had a flat. Twice. The blow up spare works pretty well and you can collapse it back down again to fit in the well again. Does take some yanking to get out though....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts