Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit I have been out of the topdown, convertible, topless scene for a few years. But what happened to the obligatory wave when you pass another convertible?

My last convertible was a 2001 Miata that I drove up through 2003, before that I had several other topless cars in the late 80's and 90's. Without fail in those cars and I guess in 'those days', when one passed another convertible driver of any kind you would wave. Similar to what I still see by motorcycle riders.

Has society as a whole fallen apart so far that the traditions, courtesies of the past have fallen by the way side? Maybe its my region, but I suspect it is more a reflection of a societal shift, not to mention a growing disconnect between individuals due to our growing reliance on technology and not human contact.... but I digress.

How many SLK owners #1 recall the good old days when this was the practice, and #2 still try to extend a traditional "how do.." to fellow sun lovers when you drive passed them?

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I admit I have been out of the topdown, convertible, topless scene for a few years. But what happened to the obligatory wave when you pass another convertible?

My last convertible was a 2001 Miata that I drove up through 2003, before that I had several other topless cars in the late 80's and 90's. Without fail in those cars and I guess in 'those days', when one passed another convertible driver of any kind you would wave. Similar to what I still see by motorcycle riders.

Has society as a whole fallen apart so far that the traditions, courtesies of the past have fallen by the way side? Maybe its my region, but I suspect it is more a reflection of a societal shift, not to mention a growing disconnect between individuals due to our growing reliance on technology and not human contact.... but I digress.

How many SLK owners #1 recall the good old days when this was the practice, and #2 still try to extend a traditional "how do.." to fellow sun lovers when you drive passed them?
Get used to it. Even fellow SLK owners don't, won't necessarily wave.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I don't see a lot of folks waving when driving in convertibles where I live. I'll have to admit I'm not much of a waver when I drive my car either. Now motorcycles are a different thing. It's almost expected that you extend your left arm out when passing another cyclist; there's a sense of community that's different when riding a bike. I almost always acknowledge other bike riders when I'm riding my motorcycle, but rarely if ever when driving my car. Plus you're generally not multi-tasking when riding a motorcycle as one would be while driving a car.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:Never thought of a camaraderie amongst vert drivers or that one existed. As a former Corvette owner back in the late seventies, it existed. I alway waved while driving my former SLK and my wife's current SLK. Not always a big response. Best excuse, it's just a sign of the times we live in.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
We always waved to other MR2 drivers, and would usually get one back. Didn't normally wave to other convertible drivers though, unless they were also top down on a freezing cold day. The waving here seems to be more amongst drivers of the same cars.

We'll wave to other SLK drivers. It doesn't cost anything to be friendly. :)

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
* Plus you're generally not multi-tasking when riding a motorcycle as one would be while driving a car.
You mean like texting?

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Get used to it. Even fellow SLK owners don't, won't necessarily wave.
lol, get used to it is right. When you wave at a male driver, he thinks you're gay and ignores you. When you wave at a female driver. She thinks you are interested and ignores you. lol If you want waves, get a Porsche 911 :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, get used to it is right. When you wave at a male driver, he thinks you're gay and ignores you. When you wave at a female driver. She thinks you are interested and ignores you. lol
That's a sad, but accurate commentary of the direction we've gone and in such a short time. I am not that old, nor am I all that young at 43 yo, but even the Mazda Miata crowd (to an extent) was still doing this 6 years ago. I passed a guy in an S2000 last weekend, top down and all and he just scowled at me... oh well, guess I can maintain my sunny disposition until I loose it and maybe it will rub off....

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
It's not that I don't intend to wave, but at today's highway speeds (70 - 80 mph) the closing rate is something on the order of 140 mph - 160 mph, which gives scant seconds to react. By the time I figure it out... the opportunity has passed.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK280
392 Posts
It's not that I don't intend to wave, but at today's highway speeds (70 - 80 mph) the closing rate is something on the order of 140 mph - 180mph, which gives scant seconds to react. By the time I figure it out... the opportunity has passed.
Roof down ... arm extended .. hand permanently up = Sorted!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Smashing idea except if I extended my arm, it would be just a short time before I saw what was left of my hand disappearing into the distance attached to the mirrow of some addle brained cell phone/texting idiot. Monk had it right: " It's a jungle out there! "

Reactions: EddieJH
1 - 12 of 12 Posts