Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The manual ignores its existence and I have yet to make sense of this "off" button (picture below). Is it some sort of a latching mechanism for the roof? Can one of you, oh wise men, enlighten me?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you UK-C200! This riddle was driving me crazy.
BTW...by extrapolation I will have to assume that one on the opposite side de-activates the alarm when warp speed is reached :burnout:.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL - sure - it turns off the anti-tow alarm - page 29 in my manual! :)
Yes, indeed: an inconspicuous mention on p. 30 and a full description on page 92. I stand corrected. It's all in the "Safety and Security" section that I decided to skip :eek:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,389 Posts
the bathroom is a great place to read the manual

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Your pic looks odd.

I'm sure I have two buttons there, one to disable the tilt alarm (for towing and ferries), and one to disable the interior sensor alarm (leaving pets or children in the car). I'd expect both to be standard?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Alarms not standard

AFAIK alarms were offered as options in Australia. My car does not have any anti theft devices fitted other than the immobiliser. They were not "standard".

I asked about having just an alarm (not the anti tow or internal alarm) retro-fitted by the local MB dealership when I bought my car last year but was told by them that it "couldn't be done".

I thought that was a little odd as I bought my Subaru Forester new from the same dealership a few years back and although they had the vehicle in stock I had to wait two days while they retro-fitted the factory alarm system.

I thought it was strange that a MB (far more desirable to a thief, surely) would have been an obvious candidate for an factory alarm system to be retro fitted if so desired. I didn't want to spoil the originality of the car by having a non-MB alarm fitted. I'd be interested to know if I was being told the truth!

Cheers,

Rick

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Definately need to switch the anti-tow function 'off' if you take the car on a ferry, otherwise the car alarm goes off. Forgot when we went over to Le Mans and the car was squawing all the the way to flippin' Calais.. :biglaugh:

Someone else in a Honda Integra Type R forgot too and couldn't disable the immobilser on arrival in France...

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Just had a look and ours has two buttons as well. The other one is to turn off the internal motion sensors as Richard mentioned. Ram probably needs to use this when he locks Arjun in the car.....:biglaugh:

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Just had a look and ours has two buttons as well. The other one is to turn off the internal motion sensors as Richard mentioned. Ram probably needs to use this when he locks Arjun in the car.....:biglaugh:
I should have when I left jen in the car at Malton LOL (we are not amused ) :biglaugh:

·
Registered
166 Posts
It seems they offered alarms regionally and made them standard in certain areas that were considered higher risks. I know a few other companies that do exactly that and will make things optional in some areas while standard in others.

Wait, we have a manual? Was that the neigh-bible size book they handed me and I tossed in the trunk?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I agree, the internal motion alarm seems like a regional option. Is there a forum member with a car made for the North American market (Canada in particular) that has this function in their cars? From an other post I seem to recall that the park distance control option (backup sensors) were also omitted as an option for North America (until '08 at least -I do not know beyond this)
Thank you.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
So the interior alarm sensor was not available on the US market - for whatever reason. I did retrofit the interior motion sensor on my '350, but never found a replacement button for the center console - or at least not at a cheap enough price! :)

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
The Operators Manual is history book thick, with LOTS of info. Enjoy the read(ing...and reading...and read...)!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the interior alarm sensor was not available on the US market - for whatever reason. I did retrofit the interior motion sensor on my '350, but never found a replacement button for the center console - or at least not at a cheap enough price! :)
--> The interior motion sensor may come handy when the car is parked in the "cabrio" mode, right?
--> Speaking of which, how difficult/easy is this retrofit? Did you ever come across any pictorial instructions?
--> Just another "good to have mode" (read, a great excuse to spend some quality time with your beloved SLK during the long winter months that remains in storage)

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
--> The interior motion sensor may come handy when the car is parked in the "cabrio" mode, right?
--> Speaking of which, how difficult/easy is this retrofit? Did you ever come across any pictorial instructions?
--> Just another "good to have mode" (read, a great excuse to spend some quality time with your beloved SLK during the long winter months that remains in storage)

So - as usual, no simple answer. The interior sensor was not that expensive - I picked one up off of eBay. The mod itself is very straight forward, but did require coding.

For some markets, the interior sensor is disabled when the top is down - the UK as an example. If you code it for NL, however, it's active when the top is down.

I didn't take any pictures - was done on a lark. If you are interested, I'll take some pictures for you. I don't have my notebook with me, so don't have the part number handy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.