Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered 2010 SLK300
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you prefer to get your maps? Service stations, something like Rand, or Arrow. Just use a GPS nav system.

We like real maps and it's time to get some new ones, paper maps rip after awhile.

thought some on a laptop or tablet would be nice, but laptops too big, and tablets don't seem to have programs, but need the internet. Haven't found any electronic map books.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Occasionally, I have been able to find foldable paper maps which are clad in some kind of plastic which allows me to identify my route on the plastic service (which my wife can easily follow) and then erase when I am finished with that trip. These are very convenient, although they do not fully replace the GPS. I have found these maps at various chain book stores as well as convenience stores which are located on heavily traveled routes.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,853 Posts
We get our maps at AAA. I like to look at a map to see were we are, but use the Garman to get us there.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I use the original paper, foldable GPS that I get at AAA. :)

Len

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
We use both , maps and GPS . my wife collects maps when we travel , states use to give them out for free when crossing state lines . :biglaugh:

btw It gives her something to do.:tu:

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I use Google Earth. If I need a detailed map of a city, I just print one.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,438 Posts
I prefer Michelin Maps in the car yep call me old fashion. Not only will i know where i going but Michelin Maps also show you good Places to eat. Driving the Semi i also use printed Maps $50.00 ea year for a new Map but i can count on it that the Maps are updated for us Truckers. Bridge Weight low Bridges Truck Routes and Scales Houses to check our Weight. Alot of drivers in our Company use Tom Tom Gps and other electronic Stuff. For some Reason they are never right on the Spot. Nothing worse using electronic Maps in a Semi just to come to a low Clearance Bridge during Rush Hour in the big City and have to back off 75 Ft. of Tractor Trailer. It happen to me twice that electronic Map Crap went right under my Semi while i was backing out of a mess. I am sticking with old Fashion Maps. Electronic Maps are great but honestly they don,t work for the Goverment as we know because they still miss the Target.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

So old Fashion Maps work for me just fine.:rb:rb:):)

·
Registered 2010 SLK300
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so we bought a Thrive tablet (Android). Downloaded an app called Mapdroid. It is similar to Google maps but you download your maps so you can use it off-line, The thrive has GPS, but takes awhile to lock on. downloaded the NE states and NY (about 115Meg. They cover the world.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.