Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question is as simple as the topic. I saw one n the street going like a bullet, with the Turbo 2.0 lt engine. 272 hp is not less for a small and light car like TTS. I learned from other forums that it can be tuned up to 360 hp and more. In Europe capacity of the engine matters, less capacity, less taxes... I wonder what you guys think about this little monster

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Not a fan of the TT in general, but there are two things I do like about the car - the newly revised interior, and that it has AWD. Exterior? Still looks like a New Beetle that's been left in the sun too long. The lines of the coupe aren't too too bad I'll grant, but the convertible looks gawdawful with the soft top. Maybe if they went with a hard top system, as most other roadsters now seem to come with, it would look a bit better. Other than that, it's heavy, not all that quick, thirsty for a 4 cylinder and a bit pricey as well. Here's a recent local review on the car...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/01/16/test-drive-2009-audi-tts-roadster.htm

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm not too excited about the exterior design, but it's still a huge improvement over the previous generation TT. The engine and the S-tronic transmission are extremely impressive, it should be nearly as quick as our beloved SLK350 and it does come with a 6-speed manual, so what's not to like?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
35mpg in the UK, 194 CO2 (g/km), £215.00 road tax, band J puts it on par with an '08+ 350 here (well, the 350 is K, but same rates apply).

I don't like the exterior, and have never felt comfortable in the TT's - maybe I'm too tall or something, but I felt like I was submerged in the cockpit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Personally I really like the look of the TT, the new one and the old one. The problem for me would be deciding between soft top and coupe, I just can't understand why they didn't go for the folding metal roof on the new one.

The only other problems I see with it are that it's so common and it's considered even more girly than the SLK.

The DSG box is great tho!

·
Registered
467 Posts
My rally racing pal has one.

It has that nice dual-clutch sequential manual gearbox and it's AWD so it makes a nice winter beater.

Other than that he can keep it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Never been a fan of the TT, its common on the roads here and therefore nothing special.

I do like the look of the new Nissan 370 though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
i've always considered the pumped-up beetle as a car for the Others...
The same has been said about the 911 for ages, which always brings up the same question in my mind - what's wrong with the Beetle (other than being "girly", but see above)?

Signed - one of "the Others". :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was thinking of buying a TT(TTS) or a slk (200K), but I compared the two. The TT is no good if you don't take it whit AWD and the automatic. Two things I don't want in my car. Also I don't realy like audi's clinical design. I love the hp of the TT after the tune up. but whitout the AWD the TT is only going to burn the tires in a sprint race. To make a long story short for my money I buy the SLK ( I know the SLK is more expensive). The slk is more fun it's a roadster and a coupé, it looks good, it's relayable and girls love it. I workt in a hotel and the new slk is the only car that I know that can attract more attention then a austin or a bmw M6 (the slk was parkt between the two).

choosing a car is realy personal. It's what you want, like and need :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
The TT is no good if you don't take it whit AWD and the automatic.
Could you elaborate a bit on what was wrong with the manual transmission? I have test-driven an A3 with the 2.0T engine a while back, once with the MT and once with the DSG, and I came to the conclusion that the only reason why the car felt more sluggish with the MT was that the DSG was so amazingly quick at changing gears that I could not get even close to matching it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I enjoyed driving my regular TT 225.

The reliability was what killed it for me it was an 01 though so I hope they would have improved by now.
but by 15,000 miles I had to have the following replaced:

1. Temp sensor.
2. MAF sensor
3. Front rotors
4. Power brake booster
5. Complete gauge cluster
6. coil packs

I didn't like that the car is basically front wheel drive till you get on it then the rear wheels kick in.
I also didn't like the maintenance of the Haldex system every 10k to 15k a fluid and filter change of the rear got old.

No way was I keeping the car when It was out of warranty.

Still after all of that I would still consider another one.
I really did like the feel of the interior and for every day driving it really felt good.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
With the top down it looks like a bathtub with 4 wheels. Just MHO.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I owned a 2000 TT coupe with AWD for a while. It as a fun car to drive and handled very well. It had really good acceleration once you got the turbo wound up. The gearbox also felt real smooth. It. interior was somewhat spartan with not too many creature comforts. Unfortunately, my daughter totalled it when she went off the road and rolled it 3 times. She came out without a scratch.

I would own one again. Although I see more of them around where I live now, they are still quite uncommon.

·
Registered
382 Posts
@ Ikarus

On a TT you should take the automatic because it shifts gears so fast. but whitout the AWD the car will lose it's grip.

I think the car is a realy unstable:
- the car's extreem HP make's it brake down more.
- whitout the AWD you lose to much grip and you'll lose the power by spinning the wheels.
- whitout the automatic you won't shift fast enough, and you'll lose sprint time.
- And whit a automatic you need to watch howe you put down your foot on the gas starting a sprint race or you will brake the awd eventual. You can maybe abuse the AWD by floring the gas 99 time's but the next time you do it, it will brake.

maybe i'm just old school :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
The same has been said about the 911 for ages, which always brings up the same question in my mind - what's wrong with the Beetle (other than being "girly", but see above)? Signed - one of "the Others". :)
don't take it so personal ikarus, it's just a matter of taste, there's nothing wrong with the car. by ''a car for the Others'', i meant the car is fine, but it is not one i would go purchase, that's all. trust this clarifies...

ir-ops

p.s. unless you meant, you are one of ''the Others'' as in ''LOST: the Others'' :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don´t dislike the TTS, but this model has a characteristic that annoys me, its interior causes me claustrophobia. The first TT series was like a concept come true in our roads, but the actual lost part of that charm.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.