Mercedes SLK World banner

Would you go with the dealer's recommendation or would you just follow the Mercedes Benz guidelines?

• Go with the dealer's recommendation

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Follow the Mercedes Benz guidelines

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I placed a similar question in the new member section, but then I realized people may miss that I'm also asking a question. So please forgive me for a similar posting.

I just purchased a 2012 SLK350. It only has 10,000 miles on it. I was discussing maintenance with the service department and they told me that a transmission flush and fill is done at 40,000 miles. Upon looking at the service manual it appears most 2012 autos require that service at 40,000, but not the SLK series. It's first transmission service is not until 70,000. I pointed this out to the service adviser to make sure he was not just getting confused, but he responded that they perform this service on ALL SLKs at 40,000 miles.

Would you go with the dealer's recommendation or would you just follow the Mercedes Benz guidelines?

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
If I did a lot of spirited driving then 40K sounds good. I my case that would be once every 8 years which doesn't seem unreasonable.

On my personal truck I half the recommended oil change interval because it is fairly cheap and provides the opportunity to catch any other problems when it is up on the lift. Some say there is no point....but with 120K and no major problems I feel happy, happy, happy.

·
Registered
633 Posts
As a rule of thumb on my cars I always divide by two the recommendation of the car maker if you want to keep your car for a long time. On an auto transmission it is always a good idea to change regularly the oil as debris can appear and cause the gear box to fail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.