Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
13081 - 13100 of 13128 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK200
35 Posts
Went for my first longer distance ride since buying my 2010 R171 😎✌🏻 500km through Swiss and French Alps and a bit of motorways. I got this fuel consumption reading at 133kmh average cruise control on, new 5W30 oil, regular 95 gasoline. That's 28mpg at 83mph.
Speedometer Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive design Plant

Chasing racing bikes up winding mountain roads made it surge of course 😂 quite a fun experience

I was wondering if the consumption reading on SLKs was anywhere close to reality?

·
Administrator (Canada)
22,250 Posts
Ahhh, simply glorious. First little jaunt of the spring. Top coming down was a bit squeaky (as expected) so that's on the list when I get home.

Didn't get any doodads plugged in yet (cam or gps) as I just wanted to get out and enjoy the 20oC day.

AND I always forget how much power she has. AND I'm always impressed with that throaty roar.

Doesn't get any better than a day in the sun with the wind blowing through my hair (what little I have left) and listening to 415 ponies sing their song 😁

But I wax poetic. Time to grease up the hinges. Bye for now 😉

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350 R171
105 Posts
Final install for the head unit, reversing cam lead running into the centre console, weekend job to finish that I think.
Put the GPS Antenna up in the headlining, checked the signal strength, we're in the pipe 5x5.
Removed the CDC, replaced the bulb in the glovebox, only 2 internal bulbs left to change now are the insipid little puddle lights, might have a cheeky little logo there instead.
This weekend will see the roof alignment problem diagnosed and fingers crossed repaired, I'll also be changing all the headlight bulbs and the reversing lights.

·
*Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG w/P30 (Malene)
247 Posts
Finally resolved my dash display shrimping by using some Novus, 1,2,3. Not cheap stuff and you get copious amounts of it for £25 but it did a great job View attachment 613132
May I suggest you share the copius amounts of Novus, next time you go to an SLK meet, makes some life long friends if you clean their displays

·
*Registered
524 Posts
As usual,
Each time I start something, I hit a wall and the last Sunday was no different! After lunch, the sun was hitting the passenger side of the car and the driver's door was off direct sun light. And the door Temperature 20-ish°C, in other words, the way overdue polishing could've take place!
Getting a shampoo, bucket of water and all needed accessories (picture attached) I washed the right door!
Food Table Ingredient Wood Plastic bottle

Then dried it out with the special Chamois leather (on top of the microfiber towels) before applying the T-cut on the ugly spots mostly on top of the driver's handle.
Of course masking tape is a must, as the age of the handle and window seals is...well let's say Today, 24 years ago a happy guy got his new set of wheels attached to AMG rims and a beautiful piece of engineering art, addressed as a pre-FL now!!!

So, first time use of a "tool" - acceptably priced under 30£ with 3 years warranty.
Started with that small ugly patch of *** positioned on top of the handle and towards the rear of the door. I couldn't be sure how good it was applied, but the brownish layer was barely there, so moved on toward the mirror on that top door edge (under the glass seals) with some more T-cut.
Very small quantity on the rest of the door and an idea more than just a bit of T-cut, under the handle - with all the rainbow marking other drivers left on my door at public parking lots.
And SNAP!
The machine went in slow motion and that popping sound was like a...solid thick plastic rod (or not that thick metal rod) being snapped in half. I was almost certain some part will drop-off of the machine... surprisingly it didn't, so it was boxed and about to be dropped at the seller.
The rest of the otherwise nice Sunday was manual techniques leading to shoulder discomfort and not exactly satisfying results, as the brownish layer is still visible, not that much, but....it is poking my eyes!
The after result is attached too.
Any recommendations on good, acceptably priced polishing machine is welcomed!

p.s. lidl 3y warranty is not as described on the box, nor in the booklet inside the box. Keep that in mind if you are about to purchase something with 3y lidl warranty.

Attachments

·
*Registered
524 Posts
Those double handed 'polishing machines' are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. Get hold of a proper dual action machine - or a rotary if you are feeling brave (y)
Currently checking the "attachments" for regular angle grinders, as the one I have is with adjustable rpm settings.
Going from slow as hell, to...can't touch this...However it is all put to halt until lidl set their mind if the 3y warranty on the box(in the booklet) is actual warranty or nonsense. But that is way too different topic.

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350 R171
105 Posts
I took my car to Cayman Autos where they relieved me of a large chunk of changes and realigned and serviced the roof mechanism, brought it out to me as fixed, after a minor issue whilst testing the roof which resulted in the car being quickly reintroduced to the servicing area and me waiting another 30 minutes, it was returned to me in a fully working condition.
👊

I drove all the way home with a big grin on my face, it is worth noting that the wind noise does get a bit much at motorway+ speeds.

·
*Premium Member
2013 SLK350/2008 SLK280
68 Posts
I took my car to Cayman Autos where they relieved me of a large chunk of changes and realigned and serviced the roof mechanism, brought it out to me as fixed, after a minor issue whilst testing the roof which resulted in the car being quickly reintroduced to the servicing area and me waiting another 30 minutes, it was returned to me in a fully working condition.
👊

I drove all the way home with a big grin on my face, it is worth noting that the wind noise does get a bit much at motorway+ speeds.
Are you referring to wind noise with the roof up? If so it’s not been fixed well.
You should have no noticeable wind noise when the roof is up if correctly aligned and the seals in good condition, at any speed.

·
Founding Member 2006
111,937 Posts
Reminder! this thread is not for diagnosing car problems, or posting diys, etc
We have dedicated threads for that

This thread topic
What did you do to your slk today is just that
'I did this to my slk today.'

comments about what was done are ok, but deep diagnosing/questions, fixes etc do not go here

Thanks!

Management

And I am not referring to any particular poster :D

·
*Premium Member
2013 SLK350/2008 SLK280
68 Posts
Reminder! this thread is not for diagnosing car problems, or posting diys, etc
We have dedicated threads for that

This thread topic
What did you do to your slk today is just that
'I did this to my slk today.'

comments about what was done are ok, but deep diagnosing/questions, fixes etc do not go here

Thanks!

Management

And I am not referring to any particular poster :D
I’m not paranoid……….. some people really are out to get me……….. no names, no pack drill as we used to say in the British Army……….🤔 🇺🇸

·
Founding Member 2006
111,937 Posts
we just have to post the generic reminder every once in a while to get the thread back on track
Thanks for understanding :D

·
*Premium member
2018 SLC43 w/P30
778 Posts
Gave it a quick warsh and checked the tars in preparation for the DFW SLK Enthusiasts country run tomorrow. Couldn't avoid the recent rains. The tars were actually a couple of pounds over - I guess the last time I checked them it was a lot cooler out. Don't forget to check your tars when there are big temperature swings!

13081 - 13100 of 13128 Posts