Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
13061 - 13080 of 13127 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
27 Posts
Reactions: Squishband

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
27 Posts
New gas cap to replace the "S" Class gas cap that was on the car. I had gotten a P0444 check engine code and investigated. Found the wrong cap was installed so I replaced it.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Personal luxury car

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
59 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
27 Posts

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
145 Posts
Today I completed the dash and console paint removal project and left the plastic pieces black.
Used Mothers Back to Black plastic enhancer and the rest of the vinyl interior got covered with 303 Protector
Leather was cleaned and conditioned.
View attachment 611237 View attachment 611238 View attachment 611239 View attachment 611240

The seats will go back in the next few days as soon as my back feels better (golden years my a-s)

IMO the shiny black looks more sporty than the original grey did, but more importantly, the other half agrees.
So now the job is complete, not a few days but weeks, the seats are in
Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Automotive design

and this morning the engine oil and cabin filter were changed, ready for fair weather driving.
But during the weeks I was idle, I also decided to modify the cup holder to hold an iphone.
After seeing all the different ways others modified the tray, this was as simple as I could make it
Wood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

Cut out small slots in the tray
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Wood

Wood Hand tool Tool Electric blue Fashion accessory

Cut some dense foam (2 pieces) to fit in the tray
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Tints and shades Bumper

The foam is a tight fit around the phone and keeps it in place.
Gear shift Steering wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

We do use the phone in this position often, and the cup holder is intact, for what that is worth.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky
Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Automotive design
Wood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Bicycle part Automotive wheel system
Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Wood
Wood Hand tool Tool Electric blue Fashion accessory
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Tints and shades Bumper
Gear shift Steering wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky

·
*Registered
524 Posts
The interior is perfect! Just perfect!
On the pictures you shared, the fire extinguisher is in the passenger side net pocket, on my vehicle (wrong side of the road 😉) there is a designated "bed" under the passengers' seat. With 2 zip/cable ties it actually sits on the mat! Just as idea. The size I have is:
Liquid Fire extinguisher Plant Bottle Fluid

And is almost invisible!
EDIT
As @Avel Du mentioned it, the zip ties I used, were to hold the Fire extinguisher's plastic bracket (right vertical piece, that has plenty of openings, cleverly positioned/designed for a wall install or zip ties hiding, as in my case) to the under-seat designated area. On the picture above, you can see there is a kind of a plastic lock at the front, under the nozzle, that is the manufacturer's safe and fast unlock device! From my personal observations, the lock is sufficient to hold the weight of the fire extinguisher itself, but can be easily opened with a sharp pull of the "belt" toward the front of the car. Another point, the nozzle is positioned towards the driver, as in case of emergency the driver should be able to grab the fire extinguisher from the seated position, not going out of the car to do so

That is one too long of a post for complimenting the interior of the car and the good job OP did!

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
40,843 Posts
On the pictures you shared, the fire extinguisher is in the passenger side net pocket, on my vehicle (wrong side of the road 😉) there is a designated "bed" under the passengers' seat. With 2 zip/cable ties it actually sits on the mat! Just as idea. The size I have is:
View attachment 613003
And is almost invisible!

I am pretty sure you used quick release zip ties, but replying just to remind folk reading.
We don't want folks reaching for an extinguisher and regretting a missing detail that prevents immediate use.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
145 Posts
View attachment 613003
And is almost invisible!
Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out.
As to the wrong side of the road here..........
Car Infrastructure Asphalt Plant Vehicle

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,678 Posts
I tested my spare tyre compressor that came with the car and from the looks of it (the power cable was VERY neatly tucked in - which I could not replicate when I put it back :) ) it have never been used in 12 years.

Worked fine! Although, I got a bit of a scare, because I tried it without unfolding the power cable (as in, not connected to the tyre/existing pressure) and it didn't work! But once I put it on the tyre, it fired right up!

·
*Registered
524 Posts
Well I surely tried to wash and polish Da Dude, however the tasks were too much for a pair of hands and I couldn't. So the carwash started approximately lunch time, as per the timestamp on the pictures attached on the secondary drive, that is usually repair spot:
Hood Water Brickwork Wood Road surface
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
a paint away off the wall on the left side as otherwise I need to exit way too difficult.
After the right side, bonnet and boot were done (some pillars and wings too on the left side) the car was moved down the line for left side treatment. After it was done and dried, I moved it onto the main drive (serious inclined) for tyres and black underskirts treatment.
When shut the passenger door after cleaning the internal frame of the door I heard them metal L shaped stopper clinking down the door...again!
But I also recalled the yesterday's fire extinguisher zip ties thing and decided to clarify what I have missed!
Yep I missed it, the lever that release/enables the slider for the passenger seat is near the Gear Selector and the nozzle/trigger of the fire extinguisher is way too close if (what I missed yesterday) it is positioned closer to the driver and the small zip ties are almost invisible in its "bed". Still, the "belt lock" is accessible and the fire extinguisher "drops" off the holder, the moment that belt is pushed down:
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Trigger
Writing implement Office supplies Cosmetics Audio equipment Red
Lipstick Automotive lighting Cylinder Tints and shades Font

Hopefully no-one will use any zip ties in inappropriate way, trying to "keep" an emergency tool close.

13061 - 13080 of 13127 Posts