Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
12761 - 12780 of 12819 Posts

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
67 Posts
Well today I finally got around to covering my Center Console. The brushed Aluminum look is really nice but the previous owner must have dangled heavy keys or something and ruined it. I got Vvivid Carbon Vinyl Wrap from Amazon it’s really thick and has covered all the scratches but a few deep gouges & overall looks nice and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a used console that could get damaged in transit anyway. Tools needed were some cloth gloves, a heat gun, hobby knife and torx driver.
Took me about 2 hours & with the help from my wife, I learned I was not using enough heat to smooth out the sharp edges and needed to pull instead of stretch the vinyl wrap around those tight corners at the top and in the middle. Hardest part was the middle, that took the most time to do and cutting relief cuts in the side was scary as I thought the vinyl wrap would tear but this stuff is really thick, my first attempt failed I started from the top. Start from the bottom and it was a piece of cake.
Hope you like it. Let me know what you guys think?

Car Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle

Tool Gas Chair Composite material Aluminium

Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part
Rectangle Font Material property Gas Electric blue

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
546 Posts
Well today I finally got around to covering my Center Console. The brushed Aluminium look is really nice but the previous owner must have dangled heavy keys or something and ruined it. I got Vivid carbon wrap from Amazon it’s really thick and has covered all the scratches but a few deep gouges but overall looks nice, and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a used console that could get damaged in transit anyway. Tools needed were some cloth gloves, a heat gun, hobby knife and torx driver.
Took me about 2 hours with the help My wife, I learned I was not using enough heat to smooth out the sharp edges and needed to pull instead of stretch the Vinal around those tight corners at the top and in the middle. Hardest part was the middle, that took the most time to do and cutting relief cutss in the side was scary as I thought the Vinal would tear but this stuff is really thick, my first attempt failed I started from the top. Start from the bottom and it was a piec of cake.
Hope you like it let me know what you guys think?

View attachment 606076
View attachment 606075
View attachment 606074 View attachment 606077
Great job, I really like that (y) I never realised the gear stick was for hanging your stuff off though! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,999 Posts
Well today I finally got around to covering my Center Console. The brushed Aluminium look is really nice but the previous owner must have dangled heavy keys or something and ruined it. I got Vivid carbon wrap from Amazon it’s really thick and has covered all the scratches but a few deep gouges but overall looks nice, and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a used console that could get damaged in transit anyway. Tools needed were some cloth gloves, a heat gun, hobby knife and torx driver.
Took me about 2 hours with the help My wife, I learned I was not using enough heat to smooth out the sharp edges and needed to pull instead of stretch the Vinal around those tight corners at the top and in the middle. Hardest part was the middle, that took the most time to do and cutting relief cutss in the side was scary as I thought the Vinal would tear but this stuff is really thick, my first attempt failed I started from the top. Start from the bottom and it was a piec of cake.
Hope you like it let me know what you guys think?
I think that you've done a really good job as it looks great! (y)

Reactions: hargaR1

·
*Registered
2012 SLK200
67 Posts
So this happened today.
I ordered a Pair of used steering wheel paddles.
I sculpted a cavity in my original steering wheel for the paddles and guess what? Yes the casting was there so all I needed to do was empty it out and screw in my new paddles and Boom steering wheel shift! The process was undo my battery, take off the Air bag & steering wheel, add the paddles, re-install in reverse order, No coding required.
Saved $600++ on buying a new steering wheel, by converting my Standard one without mouldings for paddles.

Automotive lighting Helmet Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car White Motor vehicle Light Steering part

Car Steering part Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Alloy wheel Helmet Wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel Steering part

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

White Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

Blue Automotive tire Grey Steering part Steering wheel

Luggage and bags Hood Bicycle handlebar Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
I’m
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Camera accessory Rim

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,999 Posts
Put Mabel in to Deutchtek in Glasgow this morning to get the brakes sorted as the brake wear warning started coming on about three weeks ago. I'm also getting some corroded brake pipes replaced and the leaking screen wash bottled sorted. I'd looked at doing that job myself but it will be so much easier to get access with the wheel off and on a ramp. Hopefully there won't be any surprises involving more attention and Mabel will be set for the winter ahead. :)

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,893 Posts
Put Mabel in to Deutchtek in Glasgow this morning to get the brakes sorted as the brake wear warning started coming on about three weeks ago. I'm also getting some corroded brake pipes replaced and the leaking screen wash bottled sorted. I'd looked at doing that job myself but it will be so much easier to get access with the wheel off and on a ramp. Hopefully there won't be any surprises involving more attention and Mabel will be set for the winter ahead. :)
Hi Davie - hope you are well!

Just to let you know, I was getting a 'low washer fluid' warning and assumed my reservoir was leaking, but it was actually fine. Turned out to be a sensor anomaly - so be sure....

ETA - Just realised the car is already with the grease-monkey, so maybe already replaced...Ask for the old one back anyway (y)

·
*Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
371 Posts
During the lockdown, I didn't use the car much apart from the odd weekly trip to the supermarket. So screenwash didn't get used much - and was mostly water.

Roll forward to the first long trip in poor weather and what a horrible bad eggs smell when I ran the washer. I thought that it was some cat problem...until I read that water in screenwash reservoirs can go breed bacteria and cause bad smells. So I flushed the reservoir and filled with screenwash fluid and all is now tickety-boo!!

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,999 Posts
Hi Davie - hope you are well!

Just to let you know, I was getting a 'low washer fluid' warning and assumed my reservoir was leaking, but it was actually fine. Turned out to be a sensor anomaly - so be sure....

ETA - Just realised the car is already with the grease-monkey, so maybe already replaced...Ask for the old one back anyway (y)
Hello mate, life's good here, hope all is good with you too.

It was definitely a leak. I could watch the water dripping under the car immediately after refilling the reservoir and it was completely empty within a day even when not in use, but funnily enough the first question they asked when told about it was "is the low washer fluid warning coming on".

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,999 Posts
Put Mabel in to Deutchtek in Glasgow this morning to get the brakes sorted as the brake wear warning started coming on about three weeks ago. I'm also getting some corroded brake pipes replaced
Update.... Both front and rear near side brake pipes replaced (rear offside pipe had already been done earlier) but new pads and discs all round (the price I pay for my spirited wee drives around the Scottish back lanes :devilish:) had to be ordered so she'll be back for those next week. Washer leak will be sorted then also as I had to take the car back before they'd had a chance to do it yesterday.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK350
148 Posts
One last drive before storing it for winter. I have a few things to sort out in the spring - it's making a weird buzzing sound, like a cicada, at speed (70+ mph). I replaced the rear tires - I needed to, but was going to wait until spring. That wasn't it, Might be something in the rearview mirror mount, since I had the windshield replaced (3 times, but that's a different story). The location is hard to pin down. Anyway, the car is running fine, no codes, and I only hear the wind with the top down.

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Plant

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
17,999 Posts
Update.... Both front and rear near side brake pipes replaced (rear offside pipe had already been done earlier) but new pads and discs all round (the price I pay for my spirited wee drives around the Scottish back lanes :devilish:) had to be ordered so she'll be back for those next week. Washer leak will be sorted then also as I had to take the car back before they'd had a chance to do it yesterday.
Mabel was due to go in on Wednesday for the brakes to be done but on Tuesday the water pump decided to pack in :eek: and started to leak water quite badly whilst I was out and about. Luckily I was only 25 miles from my indie and (with several stops to keep the radiator topped up and a careful eye on the temperature gauge) I managed to limp there. :)
A couple of hours later they phone to inform me that the pump is on order from Mercedes and would take a several days to arrive. :(
Thursday afternoon I get a call to say they had luckily managed to get what appeared to be the last one available in the country and that Mabel was ready for collection. :)
New pads and discs fitted, washer bottle leak fixed and a new water pump and belt fitted. :)
I can't recommend Deutchtek enough! They go the extra mile when trying to help customers, do an excellent job and have always been extremely reasonable with the labour charges etc. (y)

12761 - 12780 of 12819 Posts