Mercedes SLK World banner

12301 - 12320 of 12380 Posts

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,979 Posts
Extra coat of wax as the weather looks a tad wet up north next week...Davie..where was the rain dance ? 🤨.
Filled tank up and started packing... stops tamora , newcastle , scotish boarder , queensferry and pitlochry View attachment 596189

Enjoy the trip mate. About time that you had some respite from the last 12 months.
It'll make a change to catch something other than covid too.

·
* Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz SLK 230 R 170 2.3 L
99 Posts
Observation!
Did all the SLK350's from 05-06 come with the same alloy wheels? Mines has same as Andy (scotland), frogfoot and ragpicker, has to be said theirs look better than mine, poor car has been bounced from kerb to kerb in its previous life:poop:
Do like the shiney zorst trims. Mine are past it... I'm beginning to have an issue with previous owners neglect.
Hi, I'm not sure if I missed your comment...the rims on our 2003 SLK 230 Kompressor are straight from the factory it's called a Machine/Silver finish and I'm not sure what years it was an option on the R170...2001/2004?? 2005 is the R171 our car has less than 60,000 miles on it..always garaged an I don't let my husband drive it EVER....

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
16,977 Posts
Extra coat of wax as the weather looks a tad wet up north next week...Davie..where was the rain dance ?
Did do one for you Pete. I'll do another just in case! Have a good trip mate. :)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
1,897 Posts
I cleaned, greased and then stuck this Stoplock in the car. I've had it since my brother died and it's just been being moved from corner to corner. I don't expect I'm going to use it all the time, but if I keep it in the boot (or behind the seat) I can stick it on when I don't want to put the roof up, but am walking away from the car - It's bound to happen some time ;)

·
1,897 Posts
The other thing I did today was to clean some bird droppings from both cars, which I noticed when I was fitting the Stoplock (see previous post), and then give them a going over with the California Duster. There's so much pollen around that when it rains, and it will soon, all that nice clean paintwork will turn to muck! I try to get it off by going for a spirited spin every day, but it doesn't seem to quite do the trick ;). Anyway, I know in theory that the duster is a thing for people that keep their cars undercover (or in a showroom), but I find that as much of the dusty pollen that I can gently remove between washes and rains, the easier the next clean will be.

Whilst I was doing this I realised how rough the surface of each car is. I think it's time to find someone who knows how to use a DA Polisher and see if I can get a tutorial on how to cut and polish. Anyone fancy that task?

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
18,124 Posts
Whilst I was doing this I realised how rough the surface of each car is. I think it's time to find someone who knows how to use a DA Polisher and see if I can get a tutorial on how to cut and polish. Anyone fancy that task?
Have you tried using a clay bar? Super simple and little to no chance of damage (vs using a polisher :eek:). Finish will be as smooth as a ....... mirror 😉

Lots of how-to's out there. This is but one

·
1,897 Posts
Have you tried using a clay bar? Super simple and little to no chance of damage (vs using a polisher :eek:). Finish will be as smooth as a ....... mirror 😉

Lots of how-to's out there. This is but one
Thanks Len. Yeah I could do some clay-barring. I did some on the Peugeot before I sold it to my mate just before I got beige. But my God that seemed like quite a lot of physical work. Given that I want to do the whole body (on two cars and then polish and seal them), it seems like it's time to learn a new skill.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,221 Posts
Treat it like eating an elephant. One chunk at a time, not all at once.
Just do one panel at a time -clay, polish, wax.
The difference is remarkable and makes future cleaning so much easier.
Find a clay bar that only needs lubricating with plain water and use one of those hand spray bottles to apply a fine mist as you go.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
190 Posts
Knocked a couple things off the list over the weekend. Swapped out the spark plugs that had unknown mileage on them. Then I did a quick refurb of a damaged comand head unit that had a bad screen, flaking rubber finish and was completed soaked with whatever someone was putting in the cup holders of that car. Used a w211 comand head unit for a donor screen to fix the r171 radio, worked well. The finish came out just ok after scraping off the rubber coating and painting the bezel. Will probably take it apart again and try a different finish later.

I had some other ideas for the audio system and ultimately just decided to put it back to stock and enjoy the car as it came.

·
* Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz SLK 230 R 170 2.3 L
99 Posts
Oh so you are one of those ...

Yeah well thats ok my other half has never driven my car either ... she bangs her car rims like drums good grief
Yeah I bought a complete set brand new rims just for the day he does drive it and comes home with the rims looking like 36 Grit Sandpaper...car is to small for him.....I fit in it just fine...

·
1,897 Posts
Treat it like eating an elephant. One chunk at a time, not all at once.
Just do one panel at a time -clay, polish, wax.
The difference is remarkable and makes future cleaning so much easier.
Find a clay bar that only needs lubricating with plain water and use one of those hand spray bottles to apply a fine mist as you go.
I get you Dave. It's just that I'm not much of a piece at a time sort of person. I prefer to have a run at it. I have a clay mitt and some lube that Ive used on the windscreen, I guess I might try that. I'd just really like to learn how to use the polisher :) 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
1,501 Posts
I get you Dave. It's just that I'm not much of a piece at a time sort of person. I prefer to have a run at it. I have a clay mitt and some lube that Ive used on the windscreen, I guess I might try that. I'd just really like to learn how to use the polisher :) 🤷‍♂️
Just one bit of advice:

Practice on someone else's car. ;)

12301 - 12320 of 12380 Posts