Mercedes SLK World banner

11941 - 11960 of 12023 Posts

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
37 Posts
Having joined and already benefited from other members advice I had a crack at changing the Cabin Filter.
20 min job according to youtube. not exactly! but by my standards less than an hour is good including 10 minutes trying to find the second yellow clip which was nicely nestled behind a wiring loom!
The main horror was the amount of large crud sitting in the old filter, never mind that it looked like it had been in since Adam was a lad.
So cleaned out, new filter fitted and then decided to make a coarse filter to go over the massive air inlet for the cabin fan.
This is what I came up with. All Aluminium, held in place with magnets. Not perfect but should keep all the large stuff out. Shouldn't affect air flow (not like the crud in the filter did).

Didn't realise that scuttle came in so much towards the A pillar! so that's a mod to do! and perhaps some insulating tape to it doesn't chafe that very expensive looking drain hose.
Thoughts?

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,286 Posts
Having joined and already benefited from other members advice I had a crack at changing the Cabin Filter.
20 min job according to youtube. not exactly! but by my standards less than an hour is good including 10 minutes trying to find the second yellow clip which was nicely nestled behind a wiring loom!
The main horror was the amount of large crud sitting in the old filter, never mind that it looked like it had been in since Adam was a lad.
So cleaned out, new filter fitted and then decided to make a coarse filter to go over the massive air inlet for the cabin fan.
This is what I came up with. All Aluminium, held in place with magnets. Not perfect but should keep all the large stuff out. Shouldn't affect air flow (not like the crud in the filter did).
View attachment 591097
Didn't realise that scuttle came in so much towards the A pillar! so that's a mod to do! and perhaps some insulating tape to it doesn't chafe that very expensive looking drain hose.
Thoughts?
and for others:

mesh leaf

cabin filter change

·
Super Moderator (UK)
32,293 Posts
Had cabin heater out a few months back, surprisingly clean. Especially as we park near trees.

Not been driving without the battery cover perchance?

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
37 Posts
Surprisingly battery cover was in place. Given that car had 7 owners in 15 years even more so! Had similar content in air filters. Let's face it shouldn't happen filters are cheap and easy (ironic?). In 40 years of car and bike ownership never seen a filter so blocked. Previous MOT's (UK) make sorry reading, so I probably shouldn't be surprised.

·
* Registered
SLK 350 2005
55 Posts
Yesterdays fun task was swapping the HID low beam bulbs - prev keeper had excitedly told be the car had upgraded 8k headlights - as anyone with any understanding knows - this changes the colour tone not the light output - I had previously swapped the no name blue tint ebay H7 main beams for Osram Nightbreakers to much improvment.

The joy of discovering the bodger had broken the bulb clip on the OSF lamp unit was one of the highlights but having opted to remove both wheel and liner the actual bulb swap for the Xenons was pretty simple - the light improvement however was spectacular - again Osram Xenarc D2S. I would go so far as to suggest the unbranded eBay 8k bulbs were dangerously low in light output.

·
103,286 Posts
Passenger side LED Parking light was flashing....so had to change it
Fortunately it was the passenger side and not the drivers side
Driver's side I have to go through wheel well as Super Charger stuff in way from the top.
So passenger side was a breeze

Old (it was bent so I finished the job before removing with needle nose)

IMG_5500.jpg

New in and link to ijdmtoys where I get it 10-036 is part number
Daylight out so tough to see

IMG_5503.jpg

1.jpg

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,739 Posts
Passenger side LED Parking light was flashing....so had to change it
Fortunately it was the passenger side and not the drivers side
Driver's side I have to go through wheel well as Super Charger stuff in way from the top.
So passenger side was a breeze

Old (it was bent so I finished the job before removing with needle nose)

View attachment 591226

New in and link to ijdmtoys where I get it 10-036 is part number
Daylight out so tough to see

View attachment 591227

View attachment 591228
I fail to understand why you are promoting bulbs which are prone to bending with use? If that had fell to bits inside the light you’d have some fun taking it out! 🤔

·
103,286 Posts
cause it might have been my fault taking it out.... :D
no bent leds from in 16 years with their products

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG w/P30
126 Posts
Last month, my garage door opener finally gave up the ghost. Unfortunately, the replacement is not compatible with my car. It seems that in 2011, Homelink, the invisible empire that controls remote devices, decided that the current system was so simple and reliable that it simply had to be "upgraded", and brought forth Security+ 2.0®. Fortunately. there is a radio repeater system that overcomes Security+ 2.0® . After some time spent this morning dashing from stepladder to car, harmony is restored to the world and I no longer depend upon a nasty little fob that kept falling off the sun visor into the darkness of the footwell.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,336 Posts
installed

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
288 Posts
I installed a S/T today just for fun, and it works great.
Now some better lights in the trunk and inside the car.... and wait for the snow to go away.
Hi Petri, did you use the cable taps that came with it or solder in the leads? Was it difficult? I plan on fitting one for the spring time.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
898 Posts
Hi Petri, did you use the cable taps that came with it or solder in the leads? Was it difficult? I plan on fitting one for the spring time.
Those cable taps that are provided should have been banned in the 1990´s ..
Don´t use them..... But that´s my opinion.
I cut the cables and used duraseal joints.
like these ones.

The one I´m using is first pressed and then heated up.
They are filled with glue and shrink to get a watertight connection.

I don´t do it the easy way so it took me about 1 hour.
I also protected the cable from the fusebox to the CCM with a cover.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
288 Posts
Those cable taps that are provided should have been banned in the 1990´s ..
Don´t use them..... But that´s my opinion.
I cut the cables and used duraseal joints.
like these ones.
View attachment 591262
The one I´m using is first pressed and then heated up.
They are filled with glue and shrink to get a watertight connection.

I don´t do it the easy way so it took me about 1 hour.
I also protected the cable from the fusebox to the CCM with a cover.
View attachment 591263
Thanks for that. Would you mind posting a photo of the fuse box with all the extra cables installed? I'm interested in how tight it is in there with added wiring. Thanks

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
898 Posts
Thanks for that. Would you mind posting a photo of the fuse box with all the extra cables installed? I'm interested in how tight it is in there with added wiring. Thanks

Under the fuses you will find these 4 connecting points.
Those 3 that I have marked is what you need to work with.
Step 1 is to identify the single Pink/Red wire under #2, it´s connected to fuse #7
Move that to connection #3.
Then you take the relay that comes with the S/T and place the red wire on #1 and the Pink wire on #3
Put the fuse holder back and place the relay somewhere suitable.
I placed it in a empty space in the back. (Red marking)

The green marking is where I got the black cable going over to the CCM.
The black wire is just a 0,75mm² and the protective "sock" I use is not included.

I can get you some pictures from the CCM side later today if you want that.

Have a great day and stay safe.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
898 Posts
View attachment 591290
Under the fuses you will find these 4 connecting points.
Those 3 that I have marked is what you need to work with.
Step 1 is to identify the single Pink/Red wire under #2, it´s connected to fuse #7
Move that to connection #3.
Then you take the relay that comes with the S/T and place the red wire on #1 and the Pink wire on #3
Put the fuse holder back and place the relay somewhere suitable.
I placed it in a empty space in the back. (Red marking)
View attachment 591291
The green marking is where I got the black cable going over to the CCM.
The black wire is just a 0,75mm² and the protective "sock" I use is not included.

I can get you some pictures from the CCM side later today if you want that.

Have a great day and stay safe.
Here is the rest.
It looks like a mess and you don´t have much to work with if you do it my way.

But when everything is in place it looks like this.

I did leave the USB cable attached to the S/T in case I want to change some settings.
I put her back together and all you can see now is this cable..

11941 - 11960 of 12023 Posts