Mercedes SLK World banner

11861 - 11880 of 11921 Posts

·
* Registered
2005 slk 280 6 mt
584 Posts
Maybe a silly question but I'm intrigued where you have the axle stands? I recently did an oil change on 55 using adapters between the stands both sides on the original sill jack points and I was concerned about the amount of weight pivoting.

Maya ~ Taptalk
Looks to be around the front lower arm pivot /bush area🤔

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,291 Posts
Looks to be around the front lower arm pivot /bush area
I'm guessing under the thrust arms? Answers on a stamped undressed elephant please! Only reason I ask is it's a chore raising the car on ramps, then trolley jack, then stands under the sill jack points.

Maya~Taptalk

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
214 Posts
The Pelican Parts website shows the following as acceptable jacking and stand points for the R170 - yellow for jacks and red for axle stands.

I'm obviously not endorsing this as the correct method for your or any other car, do so at your own risk, but this is what I follow for my R170:

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
809 Posts
You guys over the pond must just drive in straight lines all the time. Surprised the tyre manufacturers haven't been lobbying for roundabouts at every intersection. Would up their sales no end.
Cripes, the only way I'd ever see that much mileage on a tyre would be if I drove it around in the boot of another car for two years. What are they made of, indestructium-unobtanium alloy? That's phenomenal mileage. do tell your secret.

just fiited my new battery, finally got the price down to £62.90 delivered. Cranks the engine over like an F104 on afterburner. Fancy-schmantsy Calcium technology. ABS batteries in Stockport if any UK members feel the urge. Advanced 096XD type.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,428 Posts
Cripes, the only way I'd ever see that much mileage on a tyre would be if I drove it around in the boot of another car for two years. What are they made of, indestructium-unobtanium alloy? That's phenomenal mileage. do tell your secret.

just fiited my new battery, finally got the price down to £62.90 delivered. Cranks the engine over like an F104 on afterburner. Fancy-schmantsy Calcium technology. ABS batteries in Stockport if any UK members feel the urge. Advanced 096XD type.
Wish I had a mileage secret, it would be worth a fortune...btw, a guy down the street has Continental's on his VW, has 68K on them...guess they're just long life tires...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
37 Posts
I had a "wonderful" time standing on my head, while cursing in order to get the heater fan out of "Sadie". (A critter of some sort decided to store acorns in there).
I also got frisky and put a new rearview mirror in.
And I got an incredible deal on one of the OEM mesh windscreens!!!
(I'd been looking since I bought the car.)
Getting ready to go give it the spa treatment with a wash & wax and interior detail.
Hope everyone got to have a wonderful holiday season and hopefully getting to ride with the top back.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
214 Posts
Wish I had a mileage secret, it would be worth a fortune...btw, a guy down the street has Continental's on his VW, has 68K on them...guess they're just long life tires...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
My W210 E class only did 1000 miles in the eleven years before I bought it (and was serviced every year), tyres had almost a full tread but when I took it for MOT it failed because they were 13 years old and the side walls (inboard sides) had started to perish!!

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
139 Posts
My day to day Jag XE has done 40000 on its original Pirelli’s and there’s still 4mm left on them. Jag dealer wanted me to change them as they were considered quite low . When I told them I used to work for a tyre manufacturer and they only come with 8mm to start they said it was only a suggestion. I wonder how many people get ripped off

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,322 Posts
1.5 mm minimum depth here so good on you (y) but I think it was the age in this case.

·
Super Moderator (UK)
31,518 Posts
When checking tyres be sure to check the inside. I got caught.
Never had the problem before, but I usually change at 2mm.
These got left to 1.6mm (not doing any distance, so was not in a rush) & has wear on inside found on MOT.

What did I do to mine today? Moved it to get the 350 out.
350 in for MOT tomorrow and the cats needed a good warming.
And they got exactly that.
Jet wash on the way back. Wow! Amazing how much crud had got itself onto the body and wheel arches.

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC 300 Black on Black
2,519 Posts
Traded my 2013 SLK250 for a 2019 SLC 300. The SLC been in service for two years this month and only had 6,850 miles on it. It is a CPO so it will have two years original warranty plus the CPO one year added so it will be a three-year warranty with unlimited miles. Dealer claims it was owned by doctor gentlemen. This now number 4 SLK/SLC.

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,920 Posts
Traded my 2013 SLK250 for a 2019 SLC 300. The SLC been in service for two years this month and only had 6,850 miles on it. It is a CPO so it will have two years original warranty plus the CPO one year added so it will be a three-year warranty with unlimited miles. Dealer claims it was owned by doctor gentlemen. This now number 4 SLK/SLC.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Reactions: Squishband

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
30 Posts
Today a service technician from my dealership drove away my SLK for a service B that the wonderful members of this forum convinced me to get even though I drove the SLK for less than 2500 miles in 2020. To my surprise, they left this 2020 GLB in place of the SLK. I am facinated by the blitz and bling of the interior: mood lighting with 63 colors, extra wide touch screen dash, phenominal sound quality when speaking through the bluetooth connection and Apple Carplay, thigh supports on the seats. With the double sunroof open at the front, the GLB is almost a convertible. Posting a photo to show off this SLK placeholder.

Attachments

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
30 Posts
Please let us know of any signficant differences between the K and the C ownership experience.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
30 Posts
My day to day Jag XE has done 40000 on its original Pirelli’s and there’s still 4mm left on them. Jag dealer wanted me to change them as they were considered quite low . When I told them I used to work for a tyre manufacturer and they only come with 8mm to start they said it was only a suggestion. I wonder how many people get ripped off
The first service sales representative told me during my first service after purchasing the SLK "our guy says your tires need to be replaced!" So I did, the invoice showed "owner requested tire change." The service sales representative became an ex and as an apology for other service issues my dealership presented me with a set of rare concert tickets. After this, this dealership's service department and my SLK has gotten to know each other...ahh the decline of civilization.

11861 - 11880 of 11921 Posts