Mercedes SLK World banner

11841 - 11860 of 11927 Posts

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
809 Posts
checked my battert charge. 60% and 12.18 volts, just a week after the last drive. I'm thinking an 8 year old battery with a three-year guarantee and this 'orrible cold weather are ganging up on me. sourced a replacement for £64.95, five-year guarantee, 780 cca and 77AH. Sounds about right for a bargain. with bigger numbers as well.

Happy New Year fellow-travellers.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,371 Posts
checked my battert charge. 60% and 12.18 volts, just a week after the last drive. I'm thinking an 8 year old battery with a three-year guarantee and this 'orrible cold weather are ganging up on me. sourced a replacement for £64.95, five-year guarantee, 780 cca and 77AH. Sounds about right for a bargain. with bigger numbers as well.

Happy New Year fellow-travellers.
and you definitely should look into getting a trickle charger--Battery Tender or Ctek (y)

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
809 Posts
and you definitely should look into getting a trickle charger--Battery Tender or Ctek (y)
thanks Len, I have a couple of those knocking around, I even have a fancy-schmantsy extension from the charger i can run to the hard-wired adaptor if I face the car towards the garage door, and it isn't raining. The truth is the battery has probably given me its best. I've had the car five years and it was on when i bought it, date stamped 2012. Never let me down, but it has been rare up until this year that I went a week w/o driving it. I had to put new a new one on the mem's in April, and on my s211 last month. Both of which were well over 5 years old. I wish I had as much vim and vigour, relatively-speaking.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
16,371 Posts
Other than the obvious reasons, I think the battery in Jeff's ride is 12 yr old. And mine is 8 yr old :eek:.

Been using BT for 4 years now with 6 mo straight usage in the winter months. Maybe you need to get a better battery to start with as the incremental cost when averaged out is minimal. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator (UK)
31,546 Posts
thanks Len, I have a couple of those knocking around, I even have a fancy-schmantsy extension from the charger i can run to the hard-wired adaptor if I face the car towards the garage door, and it isn't raining. The truth is the battery has probably given me its best. I've had the car five years and it was on when i bought it, date stamped 2012. Never let me down, but it has been rare up until this year that I went a week w/o driving it. I had to put new a new one on the mem's in April, and on my s211 last month. Both of which were well over 5 years old. I wish I had as much vim and vigour, relatively-speaking.
Mine is 2015 and been spot on until this year. Too many small drives and too much standing.
It hadn't failed but I sensed it getting low.
The 350 has been mostly idle and it's 3 yr old battery failed. Hardly any use.

I have invested in a ctek now.
Every couple of months I will freshen up the batteries ~~(If it is dry outside).

I remember someone calculating that the 171 could potentially discharge a new, properly charged unit on just 3 weeks standing.

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
30 Posts
Arranged for my SLK to be picked up by dealership for service and for a loaner Mercedes to be dropped off. Their previous efforts to market to me a GLC 300 both with the 360 camera and without and either an A220 or C300 sedan (so forgetful during these Covid-19 days) proved futile. Lets see what 4 Jan 2021 brings, will post update. Maybe they will smarten up and bring me an AMG SLC 43 Roadster, fingers crossed.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
171 Posts
Fired it up and let it come up to temp after sitting for a month or better. The true test to see if the battery drain issue was resolved. :) Works great. My SLK won't see salted roadways so there is plenty of time to sort some more little issues until spring. Clock spring or something related is bad! Last time I had the car out horn honked itself as I was making a right from a stop. Scared me, scared another driver nearby. Gave me a laugh later but that has to be fixed, is not safe and could lead to unwanted attention or worse.

Trying to keep calm as I consider my upgrade options since "I have to take the steering wheel off anyways to replace the clock spring" I don't hate the stock r171 pre facelift wheel, it just does not feel "right" to me for some reason.

·
Super Moderator (UK)
31,546 Posts
just found water draining into passenger footwell...oh no!..... good advice available and 3L of water drained from battery tray via blocked drain hole....now to dry the mats !
Also check for rotten leaves etc along the bottom of windscreen behind battery cover.
The drain holes in the corner are notorious for blocking.

Handy mod for reducing risk of water build up.
Water in battery compartment | Mercedes SLK World

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,437 Posts
Got an A5 service performed...oil change and full transmission service...skipped the "Dealer Recommended" stuff...dropped the cost by 2/3'ds...had the usual tire check...fronts are plumb worn out, scheduled a trip to get them replaced...can't complain though, 72K miles on original Continental's (as per the build sheet)...
Gee and they washed it too at no additional charge!

·
Registered 2004 SLK350
232 Posts
Changed a light bulb....xenon....did both....why do they always die when it's cold en wet.....

Everything is ready for replacement...except that I have to wait for the delivery guy....

Changing a light bulb......in the old days everything was much simpler and easier....

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
16,371 Posts
Changed a light bulb....xenon....did both....why do they always die when it's cold en wet.....
Same reason wipers give up the ghost when it's snowing/slushy/raining --karma 😉

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
16,371 Posts
Wow that seems alot of work just for a 💡 😀
Obviously you haven't tried one yet 😉 That is the recommended way (wheel off, etc). It's possible to do from the engine bay but man, it is super cramped in there.

I think the guy in this vid did the easier side 🤯

·
* Registered
2005 slk 280 6 mt
601 Posts
Ahh thats where nimble fingers comes into play..I have them😀
But you are right i haven't had to do it as yet..better not speak to soon😉

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,437 Posts
Replaced the front tires, finally..thought they were original, but they were 2014 tires...still I got well over 50K out of them...I went with good value, top rated tires...Firestone firehawk 500's...at least tirerack rates them 1st in their segment...summer ultra performance...I've had them on the back for 2 years, still have about half tread after about 25K, so not too bad, and too I had an alignment done, (had a 1 day coupon $50 discount for lifetime alignmet)...
And lastly, it was time for new wiper blades...busy day...ride is better, a bit quieter, steering a good bit more reactive and smooth...so far so good

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,297 Posts

Everything is ready for replacement...except that I have to wait for the delivery guy....

Changing a light bulb......in the old days everything was much simpler and easier....
Maybe a silly question but I'm intrigued where you have the axle stands? I recently did an oil change on 55 using adapters between the stands both sides on the original sill jack points and I was concerned about the amount of weight pivoting.

Maya ~ Taptalk

11841 - 11860 of 11927 Posts