Mercedes SLK World banner

11521 - 11540 of 11589 Posts

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,959 Posts
Agree about the one hour last drive to dry the car off.. Plus worth running the Air-Con for the first 20 minutes to circulate the mineral oil, then leave off to dry the system out.

Last year I washed My R172 and the carpet sound deadening in the rear wheel arch was still wet after a 50min drive...!!
Lucky I have a desiccant dehumidifier to finish the drying, in our damp UK climate.... (y)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
843 Posts
Of course, that would have been the best and normal. However, it started to rain....:rolleyes:

Agree about the one hour last drive to dry the car off.. Plus worth running the Air-Con for the first 20 minutes to circulate the mineral oil, then leave off to dry the system out.

Last year I washed My R172 and the carpet sound deadening in the rear wheel arch was still wet after a 50min drive...!!
Lucky I have a desiccant dehumidifier to finish the drying, in our damp UK climate.... (y)

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
248 Posts
I disassembled all the trim in my trunk getting the new backup camera installed so it was nice and neat. Leaving it that way until my radio arrives and I can do some testing before it all goes back together again. I had planned to do my Smart Top yesterday too but wiring up the camera in a way that looks stock and finding where I wanted to tap into power took a good chunk of the day, it was Whiskey-30 by the time I was done.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
16 Posts
I need some clarification. I see lug bolts in picture one and none in picture two? Is it an optical illusion...or did you snap the picture prior to fully fitting the wheel...?

Oh no, my eyesight is failing me...
:oops:
Fronts are easier to see than the rears due to the staggered offset. Lug bolts are all there.

·
Registered 1999 SLK200
74 Posts
After some serious mucking about and failing, failing ...aaaaand failing again I finally managed to get the transmission oil changed on my R170. I couldn't get enough ground clearance to get leverage, couldn't get stronger tools to fit, couldn't find anything made to order, so what does one do? order too many tools, butcher some pipe with an angle grinder and just build your own, et voila. it is done:

·
Administrator/Founding Member since 2006
100,445 Posts
did you make that video? why is it not in our r170 diy section?

·
100,445 Posts
Please post any diy in the r170 diy section
I assume there are no 'bad words' in any of em?
I heard 'bucket' and thought you said....well, let's just say it sounds like 'bucket' :D

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,773 Posts
Reactions: Hui Sweetcheong

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
36 Posts
After an 'off-road excursion' I needed to replace the wheels on the SLC so plumped for GMP Enigmas. Stuck with 18s as was worried about the ride quality with 19s. I got these with increased offset to fill the front and rear arches better and I'm happy with how it has turned out (excuse the mud). Also, had the silver carbon interior wrapped into dark carbon and I think that it really modernises the look.

·
100,445 Posts
Time to replace my E Style driving lights. After 2 years, they started to yellow.

1.jpg
2.jpg

·
100,445 Posts
Since I had to remove the grille mesh, decided to also replace 4 of the 6 clips holding the mesh since the piece holding the mesh in had snapped off

2.jpg

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
4,830 Posts
Today I fitted my Chrometec exhaust flap controller.
A bit fiddly but took me around 2 hours due to planning out where to mount it etc.
I will write a fitting guide in the next few days for anyone who considers fitting one.
I now have a remote control key fob with 3 buttons which work the flaps as follows:
1. Flaps open 100% of the time
2. Flaps closed 100% of the time
3. Flaps set to original factory setting.
It now means I can use eco4 with no drone at all but have the v8 noise as and when I want it.

·
Super Moderator (UK)
30,035 Posts
Today I fitted my Chrometec exhaust flap controller.
A bit fiddly but took me around 2 hours due to planning out where to mount it etc.
I will write a fitting guide in the next few days for anyone who considers fitting one.
I now have a remote control key fob with 3 buttons which work the flaps as follows:
1. Flaps open 100% of the time
2. Flaps closed 100% of the time
3. Flaps set to original factory setting.
It now means I can use eco4 with no drone at all but have the v8 noise as and when I want it.
Mention me when you post and I will sticky in the diy section as this comes up routinely.
@Avel Du

·
Registered 2010 SLK350
36 Posts
Due to the whole corona / lockdown situation my car has not been making many runs and the ones it has been on have been short, so a few days ago so on Friday I installed the ctek quick connector with indicator lights on it and fully charged my battery.

Today while cleaning seals ready to apply some newly acquired krytox to the seals I noticed the ctek indicator was flashing red which means charge immediately. I put the multimeter on the battery and got 12.04v and on closer inspection my battery is a lion brand (I’ve never heard of them) 620cca 60ah battery that looks old so I’m currently shopping for a new one. Just trying to find the best price between a Varta e44 and a Bosch s5.

11521 - 11540 of 11589 Posts