Mercedes SLK World banner

8061 - 8080 of 11482 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,099 Posts
No manufacturer of either cars or bikes uses copper grease. Most motorcycle head bearings for example have the absolute bare minimum of lubrication from new. Its cost saving.

Every bolt that I remove, be it on the car or a motorcycle is copperslipped on re fitment, same goes for sparkplug threads. Just reduce torque setting by 10% as the copper grease lubricates on the way in.

It makes routine maintenance 50% easier the next time around. Use it very sparingly and you'll have no trouble. The other rule is if you remove a bolt that had locking compound (blue or green) then use the same type compound on re fitment.

But I'm sure I'm teaching some of you to suck eggs!
Nuts bolts of course use grease etc but with modern spark plugs they say no grease or copper grease required !

Its an old school req on old plugs from yester year with iron type plugs to have a smear of grease .
But modern day plugs for a number of years state no GREASE !

As can impact on torque settings etc etc .
Copper grease for modern day plugs dont req it it has to go in clean .

But im sure if Mercedes Benz dont use Grease on fitting plugs they must be wrong then .

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,947 Posts
Removed the whole center console instruments looking for a rattle.
Wash, wax interior cleaned and did a full scan on the car.
Did a few adjustments on LPG map and smoke it a little on the country roads.

Attachments

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
140 Posts
1. Isn't copper grease commonly used to keep the disc brakes from squeaking on certain cars?

2. Just got my car back..The nose is so low that when I bought the car the lower part of the nose air dam was badly scraped and cracked in several places, and quite noticeable. So, I had my mechanic put on a new nose. Expensive, but the car is certainly more beautiful, and it is noticeably quicker because of cleaner airflow- although part of the difference might be because I had a transmission service done at the same time.

3. Now that I drive the turnpike several days a week, I have found out something that I didn't know from earlier experimentation. Namely, the difference in the transmission settings "Sport" and "Cruise". In "sport" mode, acceleration and throttle response are quicker, more like a true sports car. In "cruise" mode, response is not so quick, and gearing is longer, turning the car into more of a roadster or "Grand Tourer". In this mode and with proper usage, I get approximately 2 MPG more than the same run in "sport" mode. A most useful lesson. Bloody thing is smooth as silk, but wants to put its ears back and go like a bat out of hell. I've got to watch it carefully- it gets up over a hundred so easily. I had a Miata before this, so I bought the least powerful SLK- the 280. It boggles my mind what it must be like with an SLK55 AMG.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,717 Posts
3. Now that I drive the turnpike several days a week, I have found out something that I didn't know from earlier experimentation. Namely, the difference in the transmission settings "Sport" and "Cruise". In "sport" mode, acceleration and throttle response are quicker, more like a true sports car. In "cruise" mode, response is not so quick, and gearing is longer, turning the car into more of a roadster or "Grand Tourer".
I believe C is comfort mode not cruise (although my preferred term is "granny mode" :wink: )

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
140 Posts
According to my owner's manual, you are quite correct. I believed it meant "cruise" because it does operate the way I described. I will continue to use it that way, regardless of what that "C" actually means. After all, 2 MPG is 2MPG.:smile:

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,099 Posts
1. Isn't copper grease commonly used to keep the disc brakes from squeaking on certain cars?

2. Just got my car back..The nose is so low that when I bought the car the lower part of the nose air dam was badly scraped and cracked in several places, and quite noticeable. So, I had my mechanic put on a new nose. Expensive, but the car is certainly more beautiful, and it is noticeably quicker because of cleaner airflow- although part of the difference might be because I had a transmission service done at the same time.

3. Now that I drive the turnpike several days a week, I have found out something that I didn't know from earlier experimentation. Namely, the difference in the transmission settings "Sport" and "Cruise". In "sport" mode, acceleration and throttle response are quicker, more like a true sports car. In "cruise" mode, response is not so quick, and gearing is longer, turning the car into more of a roadster or "Grand Tourer". In this mode and with proper usage, I get approximately 2 MPG more than the same run in "sport" mode. A most useful lesson. Bloody thing is smooth as silk, but wants to put its ears back and go like a bat out of hell. I've got to watch it carefully- it gets up over a hundred so easily. I had a Miata before this, so I bought the least powerful SLK- the 280. It boggles my mind what it must be like with an SLK55 AMG.
Correct well on brake pads to prevent squeal etc
And has other uses .

The old style cast iron as such spark plugs from yester year copper grease etc was used
But todays modern day plugs dont req it it has to be clean .

If NGK one of the biggest spark plug maker on the planet say no grease on threads and Bosch does not say to use !

Why is it when you purchase a Genuine O2 sensor probe it comes pre greased ? [ as its going in to cast / steel etc ]
And plugs do not .

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,472 Posts
Why is it when you purchase a Genuine O2 sensor probe it comes pre greased ? [ as its going in to cast / steel etc ]
And plugs do not .
Presumably because most heads are alloy now?

Ref. Copper grease anywhere near brakes, here's what Delphi say:

https://www.thepartsalliance.com/delphi-does-not-recommend-the-use-of-copper-grease/

Personally I only use the thinnest smear of Ceratec brake grease as advised by a brake development and testing expert with decades of experience in auto, truck and military work. That's good enough for me.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,099 Posts
Presumably because most heads are alloy now?

Ref. Copper grease anywhere near brakes, here's what Delphi say:

https://www.thepartsalliance.com/delphi-does-not-recommend-the-use-of-copper-grease/

Personally I only use the thinnest smear of Ceratec brake grease as advised by a brake development and testing expert with decades of experience in auto, truck and military work. That's good enough for me.
Correct majority are alloy well for years now .....

The contact surface of a brake pad on to the carrier flange can rub wear it makes contact over a period of time can cause friction / rub and start squealing / noise etc
A bit of brake grease or copper grease wont do no harm .

Times change tech changes and we adapt . :grin:

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,349 Posts
Gorgeous day today, so planned a Silkie Pamper Day. Jobs on the cards were:
  • Clean leaves and get drain holes cleared
  • Gummi the roof rubbers and grease the pivots
  • Remove the rear lamp clusters and clean behind (I'd had a lamp failure showing on the dash the last time I took Silkie out, so I added fixing the rear lamps at the same time).
  • and then perhaps a cheeky wash'n'wax.
0:)

But family had other ideas.... :frown:

I managed cleaning the leaves, clusters off and cleaned and fixed the lamps (actually a dead brake light lamp this time!!) but with the weather expected to be grand again tomorrow, the rest can wait till it's cloudy. Day out tomorrow on the roads less travelled with the top down and enjoy the autumn colours. :grin:

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,349 Posts
The contact surface of a brake pad on to the carrier flange can rub wear it makes contact over a period of time can cause friction / rub and start squealing / noise etc
A bit of brake grease or copper grease wont do no harm .

Times change tech changes and we adapt . :grin:
I put Silkie into the 'shop to have the brakes looked at and had new Brembo pads fitted all round. What kicked this off was me trying to get rid of a brake squeal. Well, the new pads work beautifully, but there's still a squeal, only when coming to a halt and only at gentle brake pressure.

Where to go next? :frown:

Reactions: Botto1964

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,099 Posts
I put Silkie into the 'shop to have the brakes looked at and had new Brembo pads fitted all round. What kicked this off was me trying to get rid of a brake squeal. Well, the new pads work beautifully, but there's still a squeal, only when coming to a halt and only at gentle brake pressure.

Evening savcom

Brake squeal can drive people insane !

Without hearing seeing the motor i take it its from the front ?
Depends on did they clean thoroughly all the contact points the pad rests on ?
and blow out / wire brush etc
Was any form of grease applied any where that you can see ?

First you gotta hear where its from front or back ?

Note : some type of pads on mercs are directional as well !

But doubt that would cause a squeal

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,736 Posts

How many miles on the discs Mate ?

If you have only just had the pads fitted give it a few miles and let the new pads bed into the surface of the old discs , you may have high spot on one of the discs thats cutting into the new pad and causing a higher heat build up in that spot and then causing the noise

Fingers crossed it may disappear after a couple of hundered miles

8061 - 8080 of 11482 Posts