Mercedes SLK World banner

8041 - 8060 of 8096 Posts

·
Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG
21 Posts
Made hay while the sun shone and gave the ‘55 a decent clean - more to do once storm has passed, probably next weekend. New to me but really is immaculate. No stone chips on the front whatsoever. From a TVR V8S with little niggles to an absolute joy 😏

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the car in MB dealer for 150000 or what they call it a "12yr" service. Cost me an arm and a leg. But can't explain why the car feels much quieter and nicer to drive inside the cabin now. I complained to them about too much noise from dash and their tip was to put softening products on the vinyl on the part of dash where gets covered by door trim when doors are closed. Not sure if they did this, but it feels like it should now!. Also my acceleration hesitation is gone now that they replaced my spark plugs. Love the car more everyday!!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,178 Posts
Had the car in MB dealer for 150000 or what they call it a "12yr" service. Cost me an arm and a leg. But can't explain why the car feels much quieter and nicer to drive inside the cabin now. I complained to them about too much noise from dash and their tip was to put softening products on the vinyl on the part of dash where gets covered by door trim when doors are closed. Not sure if they did this, but it feels like it should now!. Also my acceleration hesitation is gone now that they replaced my spark plugs. Love the car more everyday!!
You could have gummied it yourself

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK200
352 Posts
Hi
Good day

Just changed the magnetic cam sensor today.
Quite a simple job.
Got a pair for about 85 USD incl "O" rings & grommets.

My questions are:
Why should it leak?
Why is it designed in such a way that it should leak?
Is it repairable?
Has anyone dissemble it before to see if it can be repair?

Anyway, I think later when free, will try to dissemble
the old ones, out of curiosity.

Thank you & have a nice day

EDIT
Please reply by conversation/message.
Back to topic...
'What did you do to your SLK today.'

Attachments

·
352 Posts
Between Work and looking after sick family members the slk has been sat under its cover not getting a lot of use and looks like it will be the same for the next couple of weeks as well.
Due to this i though it wold be a good time to remove , wash ,and oil the BMC air filters i run.

I bought these filters around 10 years ago ! for just over £100 back then and they have been in the car since and covered around 65k with no issues.
So the key to no maf issues for me is Maintenance of the filters

I remove them and wash , clean , dry and oil every 2 years and in between i remove them and just shake out any dust ect and clean the air box of any particles .

the filters get rinsed with low pressure cold water on both sides for 20 minutes and i then place them in a bucket of water and shake any further dirt out of them.

next stage is to apply the BMC cleaning fluid to both sides of the filters and allow it to soak in and do its magic. When this is done i repeat the above rinsing steps .

Once this is done i lightly shake off any excess water ( do not blow off with air as you can damage the wet elements ) and lay them on paper towel to dry for 24hrs under a radiator in the house.

When you apply the new filter oil Do Not Over Oil Them , i use bottled oil as you can control the distribution of the oil better than a spray can.

i do one side at a time and run the nozzle of the bottle over the top of each pleat in the filter once and no more. It looks like you have not put enough on but if you leave it for 12hrs and look again you will see that its soacked half way through the filter or a bit more. I then turn the filters over and do the same again and leave the oil to soak in as above to get the filters fully coated .

Doing it this way i have never had a issue , Also top tip is keep you old paper filters so you can still use the car if you need to while you are servicing your Bmc / K& N filters ect View attachment 571261 View attachment 571262 View attachment 571263 View attachment 571264
View attachment 571380 View attachment 571381
Hi
Good day.

Thanks for the very useful info.

I too have this BMC filter which was installed earlier by the workshop people
when they installed the Kleenman Kit at 72991 km in Febuary 2018,
now is at 95255 km.
From your experiences, do I need to do anything to the filter, now?

Where to get hold of the oil?

Sound silly the following question but need to ask:
It can really be washed with water?

·
Long Time Member 2005 slk350
3,682 Posts
Hi
Good day.

Thanks for the very useful info.

I too have this BMC filter which was installed earlier by the workshop people
when they installed the Kleenman Kit at 72991 km in Febuary 2018,
now is at 95255 km.
From your experiences, do I need to do anything to the filter, now?

Where to get hold of the oil?

Sound silly the following question but need to ask:
It can really be washed with water?

Amazon for your wash and oil kit and yes cold water , follow my post and you will be ok.
pm me if you get stuck
cheers pete

·
Long Time Member 2005 slk350
3,682 Posts
one of those days !!!

i noticed over the last few weeks that when i start the car from cold after its sat a week i have a metallic grinding noise for about 2 seconds . it only does it when cold and left stood for a week

Anyway i took a punt at the starter motor sticking in as it is 15 year old !😃
i bought a new lucas one from euro parts for £209 , but they did have 7 to choose from.

today i removed and fitted the new one....and it was worse !!!!!!!! made a rite noise . i took it back off and found that all though it looked the same it was not.... Me Mad By Now.
I then cleaned and lubed the old one and put it back together and started the car ..... Now no noise 🙄🙄🙄 sods law.

had a rd test back to europarts and told them the new starter had damaged the ring gear ( as you do ) and got my money back no hassle

Now i will wait a week and see if the clean and lube has sorted the noise , if not i will buy correct starter from MB.

p.s its a half hr job to change the starter on a 05 350 slk...don't let a dealer tell you otherwise .

So all in all...one of those days

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
974 Posts
What did I do today? Actually yesterday wife and I headed out to Queen's NY to visit our daughter. Trip was ~220 miles from our home in MA to our daughter's apartment in Queen's NY....

The trip started in very rainy Boston, but by the time we had reached the outskirts of NY, the rain had gone, and the night sky was cloudless and filled with stars. Temp was at 38F so at a slow spot on the road, down came the roof (thanks to SmartTop)... the blast of cold wintry air was actually very refreshing and we drove the rest of the trip (~45 miles) with roof down, cold wind from outside effectively countered with warm air from vents and air scarf to sooth the neck/back area... the best of all worlds...

·
352 Posts
Changed my camshaft adjuster magnet which was leaking alot of oil. Connectors were full of oil so they had to be cleaned. No error codes though, but oil leaking via cables to everywhere is not good methinks. New part didn't have any o rings or gasket so you need some gasket material. There's a nice vid on yt how to do this and it is a very easy job.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Hi
Good day

I have changed mine earlier yesterday.
As I have also said earlier, out of curiosity
will disassemble it to see what caused it to leak.

After disassembling it, I found that it was the
silicon washer rings.

I don't think there will be spare part for it
as it was riveted in.
I have to drill the rivet out to open out.

I tested the magnetic coil & it still working.
So to prevent it from leaking again, new
silicon washer are needed.
But of course, it will be non available.

The next best substitute will be, after thoroughly cleaned,
apply silicone glue.
Then use bolt & nut to tighten & assemble it back.
But the bolt must be 100% flat to the contact surface.
I think grinding it down should do.

Anyway, I will keep the old ones for spare after repair.
See pictures.

Attachments

·
352 Posts
Hi
Good day

As I have earlier changed the cam magnet,
I just open the bonnet to check to see if there is anymore leak.
Well, there was no more leak.
That's good but it is not what I want to say.

I closed the bonnet & noticed that the left side latch was not
closing properly & have some free play.

I opened the bonnet again to check.
And to my shock, one of the bolt was missing !!!
So, I replace it with an allen key bolt (do not have hex type)

I was wondering why missing unless someone tamper with it?
No, I don't think so.???

Anyway out of curiosity, I better check all the 10mm bolts
in the engine compartment.

Again to my very shock, all the 10mm bolts are loose
by at least at 1/4 to full turn.
To me this is quite frightening??

This include the fender' & bonnet' bolts.
Question is why?

Maybe I need to get loctite.

Attachments

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
83 Posts
Monday it was 70+ (F) with daffodils sprouting and top down on Stewie. By mid week is was below freezing. Friday we got a months worth of rain in one day and a lot of flooding. Saturday it snowed and the temp never got out of the 39's (F). Today, Sunday, nothing going on but it's cold.

Got to love the south in the USA.

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
325 Posts
Not many people out due to storm Ciara and very wet, the wife was out, just finished painting the stairs so I thought I'd go for a quick drive. No windscreen wipers - not good on a day like today !

2 minutes later after using that fine SLK World search button, I popped the bonnet and slammed it shut. Wipers working, it obviously wasn't closed properly from me tinkering last week, the safety device kicked in.

Off out to spin the back wheels a bit :)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200 Komp 'Silkie Growler'
415 Posts
Not many people out due to storm Ciara and very wet, the wife was out, just finished painting the stairs so I thought I'd go for a quick drive. No windscreen wipers - not good on a day like today !

2 minutes later after using that fine SLK World search button, I popped the bonnet and slammed it shut. Wipers working, it obviously wasn't closed properly from me tinkering last week, the safety device kicked in.

Off out to spin the back wheels a bit :)
Strangely enough, I had the same problem. And that’s because today what I did to my SLK was change the windscreen wipers
- which took rather longer than it should have because when it said ‘Twin’ on the box, I assumed it was a twin pack! Haven’t been able to work out what the twin refers to though :unsure:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,477 Posts
- which took rather longer than it should have because when it said ‘Twin’ on the box, I assumed it was a twin pack! Haven’t been able to work out what the twin refers to though :unsure: View attachment 571987
Ah! 'Tis all in the accent.
The northern seller would not pay for an apostrophe.
Should say T' win.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280 aka Sheila
282 Posts
Strangely enough, I had the same problem. And that’s because today what I did to my SLK was change the windscreen wipers
View attachment 571988 - which took rather longer than it should have because when it said ‘Twin’ on the box, I assumed it was a twin pack! Haven’t been able to work out what the twin refers to though :unsure: View attachment 571987
It may mean that the wipers work both directions.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,477 Posts
And, before we start a new topic...

Back to topic, namely

What did you do to your SLK today.

Before Sarge sees me.

8041 - 8060 of 8096 Posts