Mercedes SLK World banner

41 - 60 of 8096 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yesterday was a long day in the hot sun, my neck has the sunburn to prove it.

Changed the fuel filter. The one that was in the car looked like it had been there for a long time so this was probably over do.

Then I flushed the coolant system and put in Zerex G-05. As a reminder, Mercedes recommends flushing the coolant system every three years. I know some people never do this and it is important to keep the car running properly for a long time. Additionally, it is important to use the correct coolant. Only use Zerex G-05 or MB fluid.

Took the CD changer out of my car and put it in my mom's SLK as I am getting my new head unit in today.

Sometimes my driver's side brake light does not work so I took the tail light out and the trace that it connects to is pitted where it connects so I sanded it down some to try to smooth it out but I am not sure if that helped at all. Might have to put a a little solder on the trace so that it is continuous.

Verified my siren works and do not need it replaced.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I received my new Kenwood KDC-X599 head unit today. The head unit has bluetooth so I wired in the factory microphone for the phone :tu:. You can also custom the color so I made it close to the stock color.

I strongly recommend using Crutchfield if you plan on ordering any audio equipment. They are fantastic with competitive pricing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did a retractable top cylinder rebuild, Not hard at all. Used the Ebay kit. Found that the guy that took it apart scratched the actutator rod a little. I bought some 200 wet or dry paper and worked on it. Came out nice. Putting fluid in tomorrow and going to give it a try. I was able to get the top to lock manually with the allen wrench.
Thanks to all on here for the posts I've read.
Little by little I'll learn these cars. But it will take a lot of dumb questions, and a lot of patience. I once put a Chrysler 426 Hemi together in the dark with only a "pen light". So I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did a retractable top cylinder rebuild, Not hard at all. Used the Ebay kit. Found that the guy that took it apart scratched the actutator rod a little. I bought some 200 wet or dry paper and worked on it. Came out nice. Putting fluid in tomorrow and going to give it a try. I was able to get the top to lock manually with the allen wrench.
Thanks to all on here for the posts I've read.
Little by little I'll learn these cars. But it will take a lot of dumb questions, and a lot of patience. I once put a Chrysler 426 Hemi together in the dark with only a "pen light". So I'm sure I'll get it eventually.
Did you purchase the kit from Martin Ewer with Shockwave Technologies?

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I had a meeting in downtown Tampa last night. It was under 80 degrees when I was finished so I rode home with the top down. :tu: First trip on the highway with the top down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My SLK had a broken drivers side window...going to safelite at 8 am for the replacement! Still a small amount of body damage just above door handle that will need sorted, but no paint was damaged so it can hold for a while. The weatherstrip along the door was scraped, but still functional. It is on the replacement list. First is protect (window) then mechanical (cel, seat relay, top lubrication) then all fluids and filters change...then the cosmetics can begin.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
My SLK had a broken drivers side window...going to safelite at 8 am for the replacement! Still a small amount of body damage just above door handle that will need sorted, but no paint was damaged so it can hold for a while. The weatherstrip along the door was scraped, but still functional. It is on the replacement list. First is protect (window) then mechanical (cel, seat relay, top lubrication) then all fluids and filters change...then the cosmetics can begin.
What happened to your window?

·
Registered
18 Posts
While test driving, I got P306 and P715 codes. Looks like my work under the hook is just starting.
Since I was under the hood, I changed the spark plugs, replaced #6 injector and replaced O rings on 2 others.
Ok...I changed the conductor plate and adapter plug in the tranny along with new filter, fluid and gasket.
Putting miles on it to get emission...got P105, p170,p173 and p400 again.
More work!
Finished putting the interior together after painting. Looks like new!

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Ok...I changed the conductor plate and adapter plug in the tranny along with new filter, fluid and gasket.
More work!
Sounds like your 320 needs some loving!

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
More work!
How tough of job was the conductor plate? I've read about those.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
How tough of job was the conductor plate? I've read about those.....
It wasn't bad. Its a tight fit under there. I put the front on ramps. Probably should have lifted the rear. Its a straight forward job. Hard to mess it up. I dont understand the lack of a dip stick. Taking apart the interior and putting it back together without breaking anything(that wasn't already broken) was the challenge.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,942 Posts
Car on ramp and cleaned and polished underneath .
Rear exhaust boxes look like new .
And door sills polished .
One small stone removed from n/s rear tyre .

Interior has been air line blown and carpets hoovered .

Ocd

I dont think so . :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
The previous owner was parked on a construction site and a truck backed in to the car, hitting the side mirror, then realizing it and hitting the brake. The momentum of the truck with the sudden stop broke the window, dented the door sheet metal just over the handle and put a very tiny scrape on the door window weatherstripping.

This is how I bought the car. That night the owner posted with pics at about 1 am for a ridiculously low price. I happened to see it and thought it a mistake or a scam. I texted, emailed and called just in case. Next day we met, made the deal. I let him keep the car another 10 days to find another car, we met at the bank and did the deed.

I wasn't currently in the market, but had been off and on previously so I kinda knew the market. I made the executive decision without input from my partner, thinking better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. In the end she will be primary driver. I still haven't told her. I am waiting until it is dialed in then will put a bow on it.

This is a six speed, and I know she prefers that, though this could be the killer. She drove my Toyota Tacoma manual for a bit and it ended up aggravating her hip. Toyota's have the worst drivers positioning with almost no adjustment so I am counting on that to convince her it is worth trying.

Worst case is I sell the car at the end of summer and surely will make money even selling at a discount. Win Win Win...

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The previous owner was parked on a construction site and a truck backed in to the car, hitting the side mirror, then realizing it and hitting the brake. The momentum of the truck with the sudden stop broke the window, dented the door sheet metal just over the handle and put a very tiny scrape on the door window weatherstripping.

This is how I bought the car. That night the owner posted with pics at about 1 am for a ridiculously low price. I happened to see it and thought it a mistake or a scam. I texted, emailed and called just in case. Next day we met, made the deal. I let him keep the car another 10 days to find another car, we met at the bank and did the deed.

I wasn't currently in the market, but had been off and on previously so I kinda knew the market. I made the executive decision without input from my partner, thinking better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. In the end she will be primary driver. I still haven't told her. I am waiting until it is dialed in then will put a bow on it.

This is a six speed, and I know she prefers that, though this could be the killer. She drove my Toyota Tacoma manual for a bit and it ended up aggravating her hip. Toyota's have the worst drivers positioning with almost no adjustment so I am counting on that to convince her it is worth trying.

Worst case is I sell the car at the end of summer and surely will make money even selling at a discount. Win Win Win...
You might want to flush the clutch fluid before you give it to her. Something I plan on doing soon with my car. Could make it a little easier on her hip.

41 - 60 of 8096 Posts