Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 8091 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,078 Posts
Hubby replaced the trunk hydraulics. Roof works great!
R/R PSE (Piece of S**t Electronics)to clean.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Before independence celebrations started today I took a look at the driver's side mirror indicator that was not working when I purchased the car.

Narrowed it down to a bad ground connection. It is grounded under the left kick panel on the driver's side. The nut to hold the ground wires down was loose, tightened it up and it's good to go. :tu: beats buying a new light especially if it wouldn't fix it.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,124 Posts
I changed the front rotors and brake pads early this morning. First time doing something like that on my own. Feels good.
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

owner's and maintenance manuals great R171 info:

later year owner's/maintenance/comand manuals, top right in the link below:
Bill's Den: Documents

Lube those seals:
http://www.slkworld.com/226839-post1.html

your brochure:
Mercedes Brochure Archive

mods you should do:
smarttop

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

clear or tinted side markers
shorty antenna
led license plate bulbs
led parking lights
carbon fiber on the C pillars http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/50849-ive-taken-cf-plunge.html
oem windscreen or lighted/etched windscreen
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car).

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I changed the front rotors and brake pads early this morning. First time doing something like that on my own. Feels good.
Many great emotions come about when you successfully do something on your own. Accomplishment and saving money :tu:

Welcome, congratulations, and happy fourth!

·
Super Moderator
14,078 Posts
Hey Tim, those were Preston's!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wife & I took a fast run up to Rock Hill for breakfast at Amelia's (great French style bakery) and then a long meandering run home on the back roads with the top down of course. Beautiful day here this AM; not too hot yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently bought this SLK 320 for my daughter for graduation. I have a list. I finally got around to working on it. Last night I rebuilt the hydraulic piston in the headliner. Putting it in today. FYI, the picks work ok, but a jewelers screwdriver is the trick.
I put the headliner back in. Not as clean as I would like(probably a replacement is in the future).
I had a P105 code. I looked forever for a vacuum leak. I finally found it hidden behind a new parts.
I had P170/173 codes. Changed both O2 sensors at the tranny pan. I changed the MAF sensor.
Fun weekend!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Since Thursday of last week (I need some rest):

Interior/Chassis/Engine:

• Installed Nakamichi NAi350BTR head unit (selectable orange illumination matches stock illumination, clean "retro" look)
  • Lubricated/greased all weatherstripping/seals (and I mean all)
  • Lubricated/greased hinges, joints, etc.
  • Changed cabin air filter
  • Changed intake air filters
  • Changed transmission filter and fluid
  • Changed differential oil
  • (Engine oil is fresh)
  • Changed spark plugs (originals were in surprisingly good shape)
  • Many adult beverages were consumed

Exterior:

• Clayed
  • Some Menzerna FG400 treatment
  • Sealed
  • Base coat of Griot's "Best in Show"
  • Coat of Collinite 845
  • Coat of Optimum Spray Wax (maintenance wax)
  • Tire gel (the brand escapes me)
  • Even more adult beverages were consumed

On the to-do list:

(Preventative stuff)
  • Replace Vario Roof seals (nothing in car's maintenance history shows this was done)
  • Top off PSE reservoir
  • Seal PSE with liquid electrical tape and mount unit upside down
  • Reflow K40 solder joints
(Other stuff)
  • Replace faulty instrument panel lights (just 1? 2?)
  • Remove unused/disconnected CD changer
  • Drink more adult beverages

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Since Thursday of last week (I need some rest):

Interior/Chassis/Engine:

• Installed Nakamichi NAi350BTR head unit (selectable orange illumination matches stock illumination, clean "retro" look)
  • Lubricated/greased all weatherstripping/seals (and I mean all)
  • Lubricated/greased hinges, joints, etc.
  • Changed cabin air filter
  • Changed intake air filters
  • Changed transmission filter and fluid
  • Changed differential oil
  • (Engine oil is fresh)
  • Changed spark plugs (originals were in surprisingly good shape)
  • Many adult beverages were consumed

Exterior:

• Clayed
  • Some Menzerna FG400 treatment
  • Sealed
  • Base coat of Griot's "Best in Show"
  • Coat of Collinite 845
  • Coat of Optimum Spray Wax (maintenance wax)
  • Tire gel (the brand escapes me)
  • Even more adult beverages were consumed

On the to-do list:

(Preventative stuff)
  • Replace Vario Roof seals (nothing in car's maintenance history shows this was done)
  • Top off PSE reservoir
  • Seal PSE with liquid electrical tape and mount unit upside down
  • Reflow K40 solder joints
(Other stuff)
  • Replace faulty instrument panel lights (just 1? 2?)
  • Remove unused/disconnected CD changer
  • Drink more adult beverages
Busy weekend for you, but very nice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Today I related the aftermarket front grill with the original one th previous owner left in te trunk.

I also removed side fake side grills the previews owner had applied to resemblems SL function side grills. I used a hair dryer to heat them up and soften the adhesive. Used soft twine and sawed through easily. Then rubbed off remaining foam tape and polished and waxed. Very easy and no trace they were there.

I only need to have a couple of small dents removed by a paintless dent remover and fix a couple of chips and it will look almost new again.

Not today, but last week I replaced the serpentine belt, replaced a bad idler pulley, and changed the oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I put the headliner back in. Not as clean as I would like(probably a replacement is in the future).
I had a P105 code. I looked forever for a vacuum leak. I finally found it hidden behind a new parts.
I had P170/173 codes. Changed both O2 sensors at the tranny pan. I changed the MAF sensor.
Fun weekend!
While test driving, I got P306 and P715 codes. Looks like my work under the hook is just starting.
Since I was under the hood, I changed the spark plugs, replaced #6 injector and replaced O rings on 2 others.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Removed the wipers and the plastic cover over the wiper assembly to clean leaves and the drain holes. Also cleaned trunk drains.

Removed door card to adjust window stop and found one of the clips had come loose, so I gorilla glued it back into place. Adjusted the window, as well as the door latch.

In addition to working on his car, Chris replaced the battery on the door clicker and reprogrammed it then installed the CD changer in the trunk of the 1999 230. He is replacing the radio in his 2001 230 and had no need for it.

Watched the storm roll in, then watched the woman's World Cup. :usa:

·
Registered
32 Posts
congrats

I think it would be cool if we had a thread (maybe a sticky :wink:) where we could post about what we did to our SLK today. Letting members have one place to post what they've done can give others members ideas on what to do.

For example, I got my SLK Monday and changed the differential fluid, the engine oil, and the spark plugs right away because I was not sure when it was last done. (I think that's all I did :wink: :grin: more coming later)

When was the last time your car had that done? This could be a great place for reminders and if you post here you can always look back and see the last time you did it or had it done.

It doesn't have to be just maintainence. It could be mods or cleaning too!
Congrats on your SLK. 8 month with my SLK230 Battery Died in the gas station 2 blocks away from home this past Wed.. left in the shop. replaced alternator and put in a new battery. Working Perfect. notice A/c just Blowing hot air on both vent interior but cold lines on engine compartment. They trynna find blend flap doors to see if its the problem, but cant find location after removing glove compartment. but, SLK nice and cleaned. drove with my top dropped to work this morning. beautiful 75 degree Bright day. Enjoy yours :smile:

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Congrats on your SLK. 8 month with my SLK230 Battery Died in the gas station 2 blocks away from home this past Wed.. left in the shop. replaced alternator and put in a new battery. Working Perfect. notice A/c just Blowing hot air on both vent interior but cold lines on engine compartment. They trynna find blend flap doors to see if its the problem, but cant find location after removing glove compartment. but, SLK nice and cleaned. drove with my top dropped to work this morning. beautiful 75 degree Bright day. Enjoy yours :smile:

Ours has blown hot on the passenger side and cold in the drivers side a couple of times. Also talked to a guy in Port Charlotte who had the same issue. I still don't know the answer or a cure.

21 - 40 of 8091 Posts