1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a not so subtle hint...

Here's it in action...

And here's me barely missing it's time.

CLK63BS is Superstock whereas the SLK55 is A stock. However, I'd like to add that my times progressively got better and I never hit a cone. Cone hits are indicated by the (X number.

So, the 63 got a 43.866 vs my 55 at 44.048. That's a .182 difference.

Overall, I'm quite happy with my results especially considering that nearly every other A stock (at least all that beat me) had sticky race slicks with wear ratings of 40 compared to my street tires with a wear rating of 200.

·
Premium Member
10,721 Posts
Thats impressive Driving Dan, I assume if you had Cup sport tyres you can make the difference even smaller or exceed it. The CLK63 is a lovely car, its a performer.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:WOW, almost all Corvettes. Was it a club day for them? The CKL63BS is a great looking car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dan great piece of driving,like you said street tires.Runs 2-4 very consistent times, I'm sure if you had some race slicks your times would of easly been in the top 3. Glad to see your having great fun with the car. Days like that one maybe swing the pendulum in favor of you keeping your car and not selling it.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Great driving dsb, did anyone took pics of your car while you were driving? Love to see those.

:confused:WOW, almost all Corvettes. Was it a club day for them? The CKL63BS is a great looking car.
You'll be surprised, Corvettes are great on the track, there were 8 brand new Z06's and lots of Corvettes on our last NASA event.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Um . . . Dan? Why are you surfing "Barbie.com"?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats impressive Driving Dan, I assume if you had Cup sport tyres you can make the difference even smaller or exceed it. The CLK63 is a lovely car, its a performer.
I think the same thing. Some Hoosiers or Kumhos would make a significant difference. Their tires looked like fly paper except with gravel instead of flies.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Lots of guys driving the same car. They're probably part of a car group or something.
Dan great piece of driving,like you said street tires.Runs 2-4 very consistent times, I'm sure if you had some race slicks your times would of easly been in the top 3. Glad to see your having great fun with the car. Days like that one maybe swing the pendulum in favor of you keeping your car and not selling it.
I just realized that my comments on the other thread regarding selling the car didn't stick. I guess I'll have to respond again. To answer your question, I've decided to hold on for now. There's just so many reasons, although many are purely emotional, that I should keep the car. It just does everything so well that aside from not having 4 seats, it really is the perfect car for me.
Great driving dsb, did anyone took pics of your car while you were driving? Love to see those.

You'll be surprised, Corvettes are great on the track, there were 8 brand new Z06's and lots of Corvettes on our last NASA event.
No, no pictures of my car. I did see someone taking a bunch of moving photos but I never got a chance to exchange info.

Yeah, Vettes are all over the place. In a way, that makes the SLK that much more special. Lots of people asking questions and the announcers always say compliments as I pull up for a run. Stock for stock, it does very well against 'true' sports cars.
Um . . . Dan? Why are you surfing "Barbie.com"?
Dude, Barbie is my fav. In fact, I surf that more than SLKworld. Not really... but those last few links are for the kids. Oh, and 'norcalcandids.com' is NOT adult although the link looks like it could be. lol.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's results from the top class with an Ariel Atom. Not real consistent times. I'd love to give it a try. I was going to ask the owner if he didn't mind swapping cars for one run. However, he was way too busy answering questions from the admirers.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Looks loke great fun.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Woah,that's some serious competition all round! Way to represent the SLK! :tu:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
did you see the show on speed tv that featured the c63. they showed it being tracked on ice and in the las vegas desert. it was basically an hour long comercial for the car, but it just looked bitchin! (sounded pretty hot too)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did you see the show on speed tv that featured the c63. they showed it being tracked on ice and in the las vegas desert. it was basically an hour long comercial for the car, but it just looked bitchin! (sounded pretty hot too)
No. I have not seen that video. What was the name of the show? I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
(from my post in the C63 thread)
I'll add that since recording it and showing the snow segment to the wife, she said- "Looks like fun, when we going?"

There was a special on Speed Channel (5/31) in the US called "Mercedes Test Drive" : C63 AMG

They showed an AMG event with ice drifting in Sweden, solo track time in Phoenix, and road driving in Hawaii- all featuring the 63 AMG. During the ice driving/drifting segment they did show the SLK 55 among several of the vehicles out sliding around having a good time.

I didn't see it listed for rebroadcast, but well worth catching on a couple of levels. the 63 looked good and the sound of the "blips" on downshift were awesome.

Damn I wish the 55 blipped...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've seen a previous AMG Test Drive... the one where they showed a quick glimpse of the 'upcoming' 63BS. That was a great show too.

Test Drive is one of the only reputable US shows. I've got to Tivo the next viewing.

I wish the 55 blipped too :(

·
Registered
605 Posts
The most interesting comment made during the show was by racer Paul Tracy in throw away quiet comment to Tommy Kendall (who agreed) said that he had to short shift the trans to get the 63 to change gears at the rpm point he wanted- or it would hit the rev limiter.

No truer words were spoken about that 7G... sad they haven't fixed it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts