Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:

I hope everyone is doing well.

What diagnostic tool is good for 2003 roof fault diagnosis, and clearing a SRS (Seatbelt Restraint System) Code?

I already have an OBD2 scanner. It interfaces with the port above driver’s left knee. I would hope this tool would use the OBD2 port.

I have heard about carsoft with a 32 pin engine port interfacing with a PC. What does the dealer use?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,886 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,886 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the tips. This is an icarsoft with exceptionally excellent reviews. At $120, I think this is exactly what I need. Does anyone have anything to say about it??? I pasted in some of the relevant description.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-Code-Reader-CLS-E-S-G-ML-SLK-GLK-R-CLASS/171549368243?epid=1154872180&hash=item27f1239fb3:g:Rx8AAOSwU91aauQg:sc:USPSPriorityFlatRateEnvelope!27705!US!-1&LH_BIN=1

MB V1.0 is a multifunction diagnostic scanner
SLK Class: R 170(from 2002) , R 171 , R 172
What's included:
MB v1.0 Scan Tool with removable main cable
USB Cable (for connecting to computer for updates)
16 Pin OBDII cable
Body
• VDS‐Vario roof control
MERCEDES BENZ Diagnostic Scanner Tool Code Reader CLS E S G ML SLK GLK R CLASS
Brand New
4.5 out of 5 stars.
53 product ratings
$119.95
FAST 'N FREE
Buy It Now
Guaranteed by Fri, Jul. 26
Free Shipping

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Padgett. The Autel is about $90 on Amazon. It has a free Mercedes download, then $10 each for others. Is that r170 specific, or all Mercedes? The manual’s pdf download is cool. It has answered many of my questions. So, you really like the Autel better than the icarsoft?

I have removed trim panels in trunk, and by rear windows where seat belts go. I have tie wrapped the partition blind trunk microswitch closed. Could the trim removal impact a switch behind the passenger seat by the rear window, or any other switches? The vario roof was working fine before a cylinder seal blew on the front top edge. I replaced the seal in that cylinder, refilled hydraulic fluid. Now the roof button switch flashes while pushed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the 400+ positive reviews for the Autel. Since one can download other car makes like BMW, it can be used for more types of cars. For $90, it seems this scanner should identify which switch or relay is causing my flashing top button light. I can also clear the SRS dash light that my feeble old feeble OBD2 scanner won’t clear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have read the first few reviews of the Autel. They all say what a pain it is to load the Mercedes software package. Is it worth that trouble for $30 less than the Mercedes dedicated Icarsoft unit???

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,597 Posts
I have read the first few reviews of the Autel. They all say what a pain it is to load the Mercedes software package. Is it worth that trouble for $30 less than the Mercedes dedicated Icarsoft unit???
I have an iCarsoft MBII, which was lauded as the all-singing-all-dancing-best-thing-ever-for-Mercedes, untrue.

It's perfectly adequate for most every day situations but it will not tell you anything about the Vario Roof or the HVAC systems on our cars (R170s) even tho it knows that the modules are present, probably something to do with them being DAS2. ergo, they may well be better suited to the later DAS3 R171s and above, I cant say because I haven't got a R171 but I wouldn't buy another :)

Listen to Padgett, he's had both and gave his iCarsoft away if I remember correctly, the Autel Diaglink (with Benz module) may well be your best choice if you're on a budget as it's basically a cut down MD802 ..

HTH

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,644 Posts
Wasn't a pain at all but then the first time you connect to Autel the download is quite large. Of course I have USB 3 and 100Mb pipe so things go quickly.

Since there was also the Crossfire mine also has the Chrysler module and then I bought the CTS so needed GM so the three modules cover all my OBD cars. Now if I had a shop, then the universal one would make more sense.

As far as what it tells you about the roof states:
201 Circuit 15R ON
202 Circuit 15 ON
203 Undervoltage NO
204 Overvoltage NO
205 Front left speed signal from = 0km/h N47
206 Front left speed signal > 5 km/h status from N47
207 Temperature of hydraulic unit -Y- A7/5
208 Vario roof switch S84 Not operated
210 Rear left power window motor not actuated
211 Rear right power window motor not actuated
212 Actuation of hydraulic unit OFF relayA7/5k1
213 Actuation of Vario roof OFF solenoid valueA7/5y1
214 Actuation of trunk roof OFF solenoid valueA7/5y2
215 Trunk partition 'closed' Closed limit switch S69/10
216 Trunk lid rotary Closed tumbler/trunk lamp toggle switch s69/12
217 Vario roof 'locked' limit YES switch S69/2,s69/3
218 Vario roof 'closed' limit NO switch(right lug)S69/1
219 Trunk lid 'closed/locked' YES limit switch S69/7,s69/8
220 Trunk lid 'open'limit switch NO S69/9
221 Vario roof 'open/lowered' YES limit switch S69/11

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as what it tells you about the roof states:
201 Circuit 15R ON
202 Circuit 15 ON
203 Undervoltage NO
204 Overvoltage NO
205 Front left speed signal from = 0km/h N47
206 Front left speed signal > 5 km/h status from N47
207 Temperature of hydraulic unit -Y- A7/5
208 Vario roof switch S84 Not operated
210 Rear left power window motor not actuated
211 Rear right power window motor not actuated
212 Actuation of hydraulic unit OFF relayA7/5k1
213 Actuation of Vario roof OFF solenoid valueA7/5y1
214 Actuation of trunk roof OFF solenoid valueA7/5y2
215 Trunk partition 'closed' Closed limit switch S69/10
216 Trunk lid rotary Closed tumbler/trunk lamp toggle switch s69/12
217 Vario roof 'locked' limit YES switch S69/2,s69/3
218 Vario roof 'closed' limit NO switch(right lug)S69/1
219 Trunk lid 'closed/locked' YES limit switch S69/7,s69/8
220 Trunk lid 'open'limit switch NO S69/9
221 Vario roof 'open/lowered' YES limit switch S69/11
Thanks guys,

I ordered the Autel.

How do I use the mentioned vario roof readouts to determine what is causing the flashing light and preventing any roof function?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again for the great help. It seems like the Autel Diaglink MD802 will be an excellent tool.

I found the microswitch at fault, so to speak at the top right windshield frame. The black shaft goes into the hole to activate as the latch engages. My shaft broke in half. The missing shaft piece was in my toolbox. I stuck a tube in there, and my top button light quit flashing. See the link below for great videos by Top Hydraulics. Number 8 helped me understand the switch that I did not know existed.

Now I can rebuild the middle (2) cylinders. Someone said the rearmost (2) trunk cylinders use a different O-ring material that is not so subject to deterioration. The front cylinder O-ring or u shaped ring was brittle and broken. I removed the c-clip without drilling a hole. It was reluctant to slide in its groove. I finally got a pick to pry the end inward as I wedged the tip up with a micro-screwdriver.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,997 Posts
Hi,

No agenda here but please tell me, what exactly is putting you off buying a £400 SDS system, it WILL do soooooooooo much more than any other, especially those costing less :wink:

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,644 Posts
For me I have two reasons:
My <$100 Autel Diaglink does everything I need.
Only 1/3 of my cars are Mercedes, the DiagLink does all that have OBD-II.
Also I write for amateurs and DIYers where $$$ is a factor, a professional has different needs.

ps for 171 and 172s Carly Pro for Mercedes is even more cost effective. I have always had a selection of tools.

pps my project car cost only a few quid more than £400.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts